U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 AM

8,223 posts, read 4,145,516 times

Advertisements

Taking the Cape out of play which of these two state's has the best beaches to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,997,547 times
It depends..

Connecticut beaches are much more quiet and the waves are a little smaller since 90% of all the beaches are on the Long Island Sound. The only beaches that actually touch the Atlantic Ocean are from New London to the CT/RI border in Stonington. New London has some nice beaches where you can watch old boats come into the harbor and there are many impressive lighthouses that you can visit. If you go west to Niantic there's many great fishing spots and if you go even further west towards Mystic you can visit the Mystic Aquarium and historic Mystic Seaport where you can board old colonial ships. House rentals are much cheaper than the ones in Massachusetts.

In Massachusetts you have the cape which is a very popular family oriented vacation. Along the whole MA coast you have some nice historic New England charmed towns. Being right on the Atlantic you get much bigger waves than the ones in CT. MA beaches are much more crowded. Besides that, everything else is pretty much the same.

If you want a cheaper vacation go to CT. If you want to be right on the Atlantic go to MA.

Overall I think the best beaches go to MA.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times
With Cape Cod out of the equation, you still have Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket which in terms of beaches are in a league of their own. There are also gorgeous beaches up on the North Shore like the white sand on Cranes Beach, the nine mile long barrier island of Plum Island up by Newbury which has miles of protected and undeveloped beach, and the Gloucester area is very nice with attractive beaches like Wingaersheek and Good Harbor Beach.

I never found Long Island Sound beaches in Connecticut very appealing. If I lived in that area or if I was vacationing in Mystic, I'd just assume drive over to one of the ocean facing beaches in Rhode Island, excellent beaches over there (Misquamicut, Block Island, Narragansett etc.). Connecticut vs Massachusetts beaches is no contest really, even minus the Cape. If it were Massachusetts vs. Rhode Island beaches, then you'd have something.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Connecticut has warmer and calmer beaches. Mass has colder and rougher beaches. Depends what you're looking for. Remember that Connecticut isn't really on the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Connecticut has warmer and calmer beaches. Mass has colder and rougher beaches. Depends what you're looking for. Remember that Connecticut isn't really on the Atlantic Ocean.
Massachusetts has chillier water on the North Shore and Outer Cape. The South Coast beaches, the islands (Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket), and Cape beaches on Nantucket Sound catch warmer Gulf Stream currents with similar water temps to Long Island Sound.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM

8,223 posts, read 4,145,516 times
I love the Vineyard beaches I always found the Bay to be warmer then the Ocean.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times
Why take the Cape out of play? Maybe just to make it a more even contest but then what's the point? In real life the Cape is in Massachusetts. Would you take the Vineyard and Nantucket out of play too? Why not take Fairfield County beaches out of play (too urban, belongs to New York anyway) or take New London and east out of play (more like Rhode Island, doesn't really go with CT).

I'd say HumpDay gets the prize for thinking up the good points of Conn beaches. And I agree--it's all more or less the same, RI too, but MA has a lot more of everything because it has so much more coastline. If you're in Conn then Conn or RI beaches are best because it won't take all day to get there and back. If you're in Mass you would never go to Conn to go to the beach.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 AM

When I lived in Mass I actually had a nice and memorable weekend one year with a CT/RI combo. I spent two nights at a hotel in downtown New London, CT. Woke up in the morning, had breakfast at a greasy spoon diner (I love CT diners), walked over the ferry dock, took a gorgeous ferry ride over to Block Island, RI rented bicycles and explored the outstanding beaches on the island for most the day, ferried back to New London and went pub crawling the rest of the evening. It was a really enjoyable visit and I didn't really need my car the whole time, would definitely do it again.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,909,629 times
I think the beaches on Nantucket, MA are glorious. Among the Best beaches anywhere and far better than anything in CT.
The Cape also, but for some reason, it isn't supposed to be considered.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM

6,268 posts, read 15,501,681 times
No contest. MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City