U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham, NC 14 22.58%
Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC 1 1.61%
Columbia, SC 6 9.68%
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC 2 3.23%
Atlanta, GA 23 37.10%
Nashville, TN 10 16.13%
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX 3 4.84%
Other 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 PM

489 posts, read 693,509 times

Advertisements

30 years behind Atlanta, 30 years ahead of Greenville.

It's peer cities are non-Southern.

Visually, I've been to places in Denver, Pasadena, SLC, Omaha, and suburban DC that remind me of it.

Culturally, it's new south, so ATL, Raleigh, Nashville. It's to a lesser extent, an epicenter of black culture, like ATL.

It's going to have a lot of differences from cities that it get's compared often, because it's not a state capital like them. The other cities, aren't on the same tier as it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
30 years behind Atlanta, 30 years ahead of Greenville.

It's peer cities are non-Southern.

Visually, I've been to places in Denver, Pasadena, SLC, Omaha, and suburban DC that remind me of it.

Culturally, it's new south, so ATL, Raleigh, Nashville. It's to a lesser extent, an epicenter of black culture, like ATL.

It's going to have a lot of differences from cities that it get's compared often, because it's not a state capital like them. The other cities, aren't on the same tier as it.
Dallas and Atlanta are in higher tiers, while Nashville is in the same tier, maybe a bit lower but definitely a peer.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:53 PM

919 posts, read 439,555 times
San Francisco!!!!!!!

Let the debate begin.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
What are differences between Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham? Spit some out, curious to hear what y'all have to say.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:24 AM

27,720 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
What are differences between Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham? Spit some out, curious to hear what y'all have to say.
That's easy enough. The Triangle is a multinodal system that revolves around three urban centers: Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (Cary is just a suburb). Metro Charlotte revolves around...Charlotte. Higher ed is a notable strength of the Triangle and a notable weakness of Charlotte. Charlotte is definitely more corporate and more progressive when it comes to city issues (e.g., transit). The Triangle's strengths are in tech and government. Raleigh is the capital of NC, but Charlotte is the de facto capital of the Carolinas. And so on and so forth.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 AM

3,312 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
It's to a lesser extent, an epicenter of black culture, like ATL.
This is so, so, true....

It is most similar to Atlanta and Raleigh (Greenville to a lesser extent). I have been to Indianspolis----not at all!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM

371 posts, read 386,501 times
I'd like to believe we are growing into a Denver sometime down the road (I think we are about a decade behind Denver right now). I'll say right now we are a poor mans version of Denver or Minneapolis. Which is fine by me. 30-40 years away from Houston, hopefully without the immense size or highway infrastructure.

Though I have a feeling the OP created this entire thread to prove to himself that RDU is on par with Metrolina. I could be wrong.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I'd like to believe we are growing into a Denver sometime down the road (I think we are about a decade behind Denver right now). I'll say right now we are a poor mans version of Denver or Minneapolis. Which is fine by me. 30-40 years away from Houston, hopefully without the immense size or highway infrastructure.

Though I have a feeling the OP created this entire thread to prove to himself that RDU is on par with Metrolina. I could be wrong.
No, I don't really care if Charlotte is in a league above RDU.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Raleigh, Nashville, Hampton Roads, Richmond

Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,299,773 times
I would say Charlotte is most like the following peer cities...

Columbus, Oh
Indianapolis, IN
Austin, TX
Denver, CO

W/ the exception of Denver which is a much bigger, they are 3 similar sized sprawling cities w/ similar sized clean nice downtown/urban cores and diverse economies. All are growing significantly...all are investing in their urban centers...10 yrs ago, nobody lived in any of these cities' downtowns...now they all have significant resident populations....none of them have what would be considered top of the line nightlife but all hold their own against all but the major cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or