U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham, NC 14 22.58%
Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC 1 1.61%
Columbia, SC 6 9.68%
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC 2 3.23%
Atlanta, GA 23 37.10%
Nashville, TN 10 16.13%
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX 3 4.84%
Other 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM

27,829 posts, read 24,888,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I find it interesting that some people get so defensive about comparing the likes of Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville. All 3 are definitely unique in their own ways, but I think you have to be kidding yourself if you can't find some commonalities in their makeup.

Charlotte is not a mini-Atlanta, and neither is Nashville...but as a consequence of where and when the cities developed, you can definitely see some similarities. All 3 are New South powerhouses that have shiny new urban centers with a bit less urban grit than their more historically industrial Northeastern and Midwestern counterparts, and all 3 are surrounded by quite a large amount of sprawl. They are certainly not the only cities in the South that fit this description -- in fact, many do. But even in comparison to our Texas cousins, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville resemble each other much more than any resemble Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio in city layout (Austin is a bit of an enigma to me).

You could also point to some cultural characteristics -- such as none of the cities being true "Deep South" cities, as well as all being on the fringes, but not within the Appalachian region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
This is an awesome post Mutiny. I can't understand, for the life of me, why some ATL folks crap on Charlotte so hard. Any reasonable person knows Charlotte is not on the same level as ATL, by any stretch, but there are still plenty of comparable similarities. Any dope that's actually spent more than an afternoon in the two can tell you that.

I find it incredibly ironic that some boosters from ATL, who have to put up with so much false BS on CD, turn around and do the exact same thing to Charlotte. It'd be great if the folks from ATL, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh ect. stopped spending so much time putting down each other and started focusing on promoting the SE and it's progressive booming cities as a whole. There's enough trash online that we have to deal with already. Lets try our best to avoid the friendly fire.
Yeah, as someone who's actually lived in both cities, I readily see the similarities as well as the differences, and I don't know why people have a tendency to exaggerate in either direction. No Charlotte isn't just a mini-Atlanta by any means, but at the same time saying the two cities have nothing in common but new architecture and lots of sprawl misses the mark in a major way as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM

315 posts, read 243,027 times
The defensiveness is something I could see if people were saying Charlotte or some other mid tier metro was in the same tier as Atlanta or even close but no one is just seeing similarities and some common things among southern cities........I do kind of like the in between Greenville/ and Atlanta mention I saw a few pages back there is more to it then that obviously though.........Nashville,Austin and yes Raleigh/Durham as well all share some similarities with Charlotte as well some more then others in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or