U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 PM

708 posts, read 766,209 times

Advertisements

From what I remember, all these cities are pretty hilly. And in fact, Pittsburgh and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area are pretty similar in that they're both in the mountains of Pennsylvania (albeit in different corners of the state) and they're both in coal-mining country. I'm wondering: a) Is Pittsburgh more hilly or less hilly than Scranton or Wilkes-Barre? b) Are both of these Pennsylvania metro areas hillier than Cincinnati? How do the two Pennsylvania metro areas mentioned here compare to Charleston, West Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,029,969 times
Charleston itself is actually pretty flat because it's located in a river valley, but it's surrounded by mountains.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:37 PM

708 posts, read 766,209 times
In partially answering one of my own questions, from having gone to one part of Pittsburgh and one part of Cincinnati, it seems to me that Cincy hills are rolling where Pittsburgh hills are rugged. Does that sound right?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:51 PM

6,931 posts, read 3,630,765 times
The "Burgh" is very hilly. Steep hills too. After all, it's smack in the middle of the Alleghany Plateau.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:43 PM

298 posts, read 301,664 times
Wilkes Barre is quite a bit hillier than Pittsburgh, granted I haven't been to Pittsburgh in like 5 years. Even the retail areas are all at different elevations, like the abandoned Walmart thats foundation was at the same height as the top of the Wegmans that is a couple minute walk. Its main roads aren't too steep, but always sloping some direction, like coming up past Dallas or down when coming from Tunkhannock. Residential streets can be pretty steep. The Wyoming Valleys elevation varies from 400-2400. Pittsburgh's ranges from 700-1300.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 PM

11,911 posts, read 11,018,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Wilkes Barre is quite a bit hillier than Pittsburgh, granted I haven't been to Pittsburgh in like 5 years. Even the retail areas are all at different elevations, like the abandoned Walmart thats foundation was at the same height as the top of the Wegmans that is a couple minute walk. Its main roads aren't too steep, but always sloping some direction, like coming up past Dallas or down when coming from Tunkhannock. Residential streets can be pretty steep. The Wyoming Valleys elevation varies from 400-2400. Pittsburgh's ranges from 700-1300.
Looking at it online, Wilkes-Barre, at least within the city proper, doesn't seem to have the rugged topography changes Pitsburgh does. I mean, Pittsburgh basically has a mountain directly across from Downtown. It's hard to beat that.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 AM

3,492 posts, read 3,309,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
The Wyoming valley is only built up in the valley.

Also, comparing the elevation change of a city of 55 sq miles to a metro is not an accurate way of comparison. Also where in the valley is the elevation 400?

Pittsburghs metro varies from 600' in beaver to 3000' in Westmoreland and Fayette counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City