U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 AM

704 posts, read 660,636 times

Advertisements

I had posted a short time back about narrowing down our choices on where to permanently settle between Phoenix, Denver and Minneapolis. After a trip to Phoenix we felt it wasn't a place we wanted to live but did in fact love quite a few things there. Denver will be our new home for the long term. We have jobs lined up and are beginning to look for housing. My wife will be working downtown but also will be traveling around. The metro quite a bit so location won't matter too much, I will be working from home mostly and cutting around the south side. We have done a lot of reading and also scouted area in person last year for 10 days. We are petty sold on the south end, Littleton/centennial area - but feel like we are missing something. We are trying to stay unde $400k for housing and prefer to stay under $350k by want to be realistic because we need 4bed 2500sqft ish or more

We have lived in Charlotte NC and Norther Viginia area aS well as Arlington Texas and Minneapolis for long periods of time.

Would anyone be able to do se comparisons between some of the neighboring cities of Denver to those of any of the places listed above if you have lived in any of them as well? Sometimes it's easier for me to visualize of I can direct compare.

We have two sons going into 11th grade and 5th grade, so activities are key! We love being close to things so we don't have to drive everywhere all the time. We want to live in a city where my older son can can ride his bike to work and sports practice. Where we can walk to get dinner or a movie etc. I'm not concerned with where work is or getting into Denver. We put much more value on being involved in our surroundings for every day activities. I really loved castle rock when we were there and would love to live there it it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense being that we will always be up in the south end of Denver metro. But just to give you an idea of what we like, The Meadows was nice- large neighborhood, sidewalks to ride bikes, coils wall or ride all the way to shopping. I grew up in Rochester Mn in an older established city neighborhood, we walked and rode bikes everywhere because we could. That's what I want for my boys. I don't want to them to have to rely on us for car rides everywhere.

So if anyone could help with my "bigger picture" dilemma, I'd sure appreciate it. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:08 AM

10,688 posts, read 28,537,224 times
Centennial & Littleton & Lone Tree have South Suburban Recreation Centers South Suburban Parks and Recreation | Explore. Enjoy.
Highlands Ranch has Highlands Ranch Community Association
Jefferson County has foothills recreation https://www.ifoothills.org/
Lots of communities have pools.

Caste Rock is not a part of rtd-denver.com, but the counties I mentioned above are.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 PM

My biggest concern is finding a neighborhood where there are plenty of young families with children but doesn't feel like suburbia. We want to live some place where our kids can ride down the block to their friends house but not be in a huge master plan type community smacked out in the farm lands like everything in Charlotte NC is.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM

19,094 posts, read 10,110,838 times
There are lots of city neighborhoods within Denver that seem more like what you want in terms of an established, non-suburban neighborhood but your budget isn't going to get you the size house you want.

And I would not be so cavalier about commuting times. With bad weather, which we do get every year, commute times easily double.

Stapleton north of I-70 (Conservatory Green or Willow Park East) would fit the bill in a lot of ways - it's a master planned community but you could find something that is within reasonable distance of the Northfield shopping center for shopping and entertainment, and with the new high school, you could certainly fit the bill for easy access to that as well. But not for the size home you want for the price you are looking for.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 PM

I think Denver is very suburban in nature. The OP is coming from the east coast. Definitely more urban, than suburban.

I was raised in DC, I get non-cookie cutter, high density urban living. Denver just doesn't have that much.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 PM

19,094 posts, read 10,110,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I think Denver is very suburban in nature. The OP is coming from the east coast. Definitely more urban, than suburban.

I was raised in DC, I get non-cookie cutter, high density urban living. Denver just doesn't have that much.
I was raised in NY and then lived in Philadelphia and Boston, I get it. But OP is looking for a place with lots of families where his kids can ride their bikes. He's not looking for high density urban living Manhattan, he's talking residential Queens. He wants Park Hill or Highland, not Highlands Ranch. But he can't afford it.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Correct, Im not looking for High density urban living. Im simply looking to live in a city not a "neighborhood" if that makes sense. I want things near by like grocery, maybe a movie theatre, gas stations, a target would be nice etc. But I don't need streets filled with bars and 5 star dining all night long. To be quite honest, Im sick of hearing horns and sirens all day and night. I refer to Castle Rock a lot because Id love to live in something like the Meadows where its a large neighborhood out of the way but has a parkway with sidewalks that actually take you to the shopping and dining etc. Unfortunately We don't want to move out that far.

As far as commutes go, I work form home and drive around the metro when I need to s my commute is irrelevant. My wife's time will be split between downtown and traveling out of the area. So even though "the closer the better" could apply ere for her, it isn't a deal breaker but its why we don't really want to go out to castle rock. We are pretty set on the south metro (Littleton/Centennial) Now I just need to find the right pockets to find what we are looking for. I wish more people could help define Highlands Ranch. My wife visited there and said it very suburban but has parks and a Rec Center etc. But everything I read makes it sound like exactly what I don't want. Am I wrong?

We don't need a big fancy new house, actually we would prefer something with character of size. We do however have two boys that need space too, so a basement and 2500 ish sqft seems to be the outline here. But we like fixing up our houses so an outdated home is absolutely fine with us.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM

I think you should consider Lakewood.

Highlands Ranch has 4 rec centers. I live in Highlands Ranch, raised three adults in Highlands Ranch. Highlands Ranch is a city sized subdivision.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,475,840 times
OP, are there any areas in Nova that are similar to what you are hoping to find here? It's a little confusing because you say you don't want a large master community in the suburbs, but you like Castle Rock and the Meadows, and to me that's what those places are. Did you like Reston?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:19 AM

Reston is very nice but still a little to suburban. I like the areas around the lake, but you sill have to drive to places in reston. I always liked Fairfax (city) until lately. It has gotten so overcrowded. But I love towns like Falls Church, Vienna etc. cities that have their own little downtown, their own government center, mall, etc. The only thing I don't love about those places now is how they have gotten lost in all the building around them. If you are familiar with the area at all, Id love to find something like the Cabels Mill in Centreville/Chantilly inside of 28 off Stringfellow Rd, Fair Lakes area or Greenbriar area in Fairfax. Where we can live in an established neighborhood and still ride bikes or walk to stores, dining, movies and shops.

I just don't know enough about what Littleton and Centennial have to offer, or other neighboring cities. I don't want to get into Aurora, from what I read and the places I have been, I don't think its for us with the exception of a few little pockets close to the reservoir.

I only keep mentioning Castle Rock because in a perfect world I would pick up Castle Rock and slap in down about 20 miles north. I love the serenity out there and the things I mentioned above about riding bikes, walking outdoors maybe taking in some views of the plains/foothills. I really just don't want to have to get in my car every time I want to go do something simple like a movie, a dinner, a box of screws, a loaf of bread etc. I want to hop on my bike or lace up my shoes and go enjoy the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City