U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,591 times

Advertisements

I'm so sure this thread has popped up a number of times, but my situation is rather different and I need some real input.

My fiance and I are moving from Chicago to either Dallas, Houston, or LA, but we are having a really hard time deciding between the three. Few facts:

- He wants to live in an area with affluent blacks present
- The price that we're willing to to spend on a home is $3M-$5M
- We want to have children, so school quality and diversity is VERY important
- He and I are Vegan and Pescetarian, respectively
- We both work from home and/or travel for work, so commute is not the issue, neither is job availability
- We're both health & fitness freaks, so a health conscious community is important
- We're both foodies when we want to be (I mean you can't live without exploring new cuisines at SOME point, right?!)
- art and museums are very important
- We won't be in any city during the summers, we'll be in Chicago, so the weather during those times is irrelevant
- Great shopping (both high end and unique boutique shopping) is important
- We're both HUGE sports fans, so a city that has football, basketball, baseball, etc is why we've narrowed the cities down to these 3

Please help! There are so many opinions and it's hard to make a decision!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:23 PM

325 posts, read 191,298 times
1. Los Angeles
2. Houston
3. Dallas

At a price point of $3-5 Million for a residence, go live near the coast in LA and don't look back - you will find enough of the ticks on your list there to be happy.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
1. Los Angeles
2. Houston
3. Dallas

At a price point of $3-5 Million for a residence, go live near the coast in LA and don't look back - you will find enough of the ticks on your list there to be happy.
Or, buy a home in Houston or Dallas in a great neighborhood and rent or buy a home along the coast in LA for the summer or to getaway.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Check out the Johns Creek area in the suburbs of Atlanta. You will love it. It's extremely diverse, you can find a huge home cheaper than what you are looking for, we have plenty of luxury shopping, we have the world's busiest airport so when you need to travel you always have a direct flight, plenty of concerts and entertainment, no natural disasters, plenty of affluent blacks, rolling hills and trees everywhere, very family friendly, the countries largest food hall (Ponce City Market) is opening up here in a couple months, plenty of house music events here if you are into Chicago house music (check out etc

Last edited by afdinatl; 06-02-2015 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 PM

696 posts, read 819,858 times
LA wins for overall livability if money is no issue. However affordability and employment wise you will for sure get more out of TX.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Or, buy a home in Houston or Dallas in a great neighborhood and rent or buy a home along the coast in LA for the summer or to getaway.
I like this idea a lot! I've heard so many horror stories from floods to fires to excessive drug use among teens (and adults for that matter) in LA, that it was weighing heavily on our decision re: LA.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Check out the Johns Creek area in the suburbs of Atlanta. You will love it. It's extremely diverse, you can find a huge home cheaper than what you are looking for, we have plenty of luxury shopping, we have the world's busiest airport so when you need to travel you always have a direct flight, plenty of concerts and entertainment, no natural disasters, plenty of affluent blacks, rolling hills and trees everywhere, very family friendly, the countries largest food hall (Ponce City Market) is opening up here in a couple months, plenty of house music events here if you are into Chicago house music (check out etc
Thank you for the response! We said no to Atlanta because the city felt a little slow and from my experience, the well to-do blacks were more than a little pretentious (at least their college aged children were). I went to undergrad there and chose to not visit too many times afterwards. We are big house fans. Can't wait for the 25th anniversary Chosen Few this summer! **thinking** we may visit just to see if my feeling about Atlanta is still the same. It's been over 10 years since college

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustGreen View Post
Thank you for the response! We said no to Atlanta because the city felt a little slow and from my experience, the well to-do blacks were more than a little pretentious (at least their college aged children were). I went to undergrad there and chose to not visit too many times afterwards. We are big house fans. Can't wait for the 25th anniversary Chosen Few this summer! **thinking** we may visit just to see if my feeling about Atlanta is still the same. It's been over 10 years since college

Atlanta has changed a lot since the last 10 years. You will be in for a shock. The house music scene is huge, plenty of concerts, decent weather, more festivals, more music festivals, etc. They are building high-rises all throughout Midtown so it actually is beginning to feel like a real city now. Check out this link and see what is going on in the city.....Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment | There is always something to do in the ATL

Also if you thought Atlanta was "slow" I don't see why you added two of the three cities you have listed on this thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Atlanta has changed a lot since the last 10 years. You will be in for a shock. The house music scene is huge, plenty of concerts, decent weather, more festivals, more music festivals, etc. They are building high-rises all throughout Midtown so it actually is beginning to feel like a real city now. Check out this link and see what is going on in the city.....Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment | There is always something to do in the ATL

Also if you thought Atlanta was "slow" I don't see why you added two of the three cities you have listed on this thread
Atlanta is not really slower or faster than Dallas or Houston. All three are much slower than LA.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,135,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Atlanta is not really slower or faster than Dallas or Houston. All three are much slower than LA.
This. Can't emphasize "much" enough. Was just in Atlanta and have limited experience in the other two cities. Will say that Atlanta is known more for its affluent black population than any other city that I can think of, but in my opinion it's a weird dynamic. For instance, in CA, there are also plenty of affluent blacks and the color issue is less of an "issue" and people kind of just go with whoever they go with, employ, have drinks with, or mingle with irrespective of color. In Atlanta, and likely Houston/Dallas, and much of the South (and perhaps DC too), it's a touted community that almost seems insular at times (like if I were black in Atlanta, I might feel there are lots of expectations of me to be more involved with the "black" community...whereas at least out here on the W Coast, everyone's kinda rubbing into everyone and skin color isn't really a thing).

Health and fitness freaks feel at home in California. And are accepted and part of a group/state filled with health and fitness freaks. Moreso than anywhere else I've ever been. LA by FAR the best for food of this group, probably followed by Houston from what I can understand. All will have good shopping (LA obviously the best but I think the difference between all 4 shopping wise would be a lot less than the difference in food quality between an LA and the other 3). LA by far has the most and best museums (but don't expect a Chicago/Boston/SF/NYC museum scene...it's all very spread out like the rest of the city). Followed by [insert any of the others here].

Suburban Atlanta schools are pretty darn good, but Atlanta city schools might be about the worst in the country and private schools there are neither diverse nor cheap (though there are language immersion schools as you would find anywhere else). You'd get the most bang for your buck in terms of size/yard in Atlanta, by a long shot, even compared to Houston/Dallas these days. But you guys don't strike me as people looking for a McMansion with an entire forest for a backyard. At $3-5M, even in LA you will have lots of great options.

Don't expect a house scene in Atlanta despite what posters tell you. Probably not Houston, and CERTAINLY not Dallas. In my opinion and experience, this scene is entirely relegated to NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, and perhaps DC and other west coast cities. Oh, and Miami if you can stand tourists and pretentiousness. Don't be fooled - nightlife in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and frankly most cities is pretty dismal in comparison to what you get in CA/NY (and Chicago).

Overall seems like you have a tough choice. If it were me, and I don't even like LA in the least bit but there are areas down there I could live very happily in, I would choose LA. Not sure what I'd follow that up with, but probably Atlanta since I have experience there and some partiality. Your criteria are your criteria. Any move to CA should consider the overall cost of living, the politics of the state, state income taxes, etc etc. Just keep those *strong* considerations in mind, too. For those who move to CA, the positives must outweigh the very negative financial aspects of it (oh, and there's this drought - you may want to see if it rains this winter because if it doesn't, then home prices in the state could come wayyyyy down and the economy could start to crumble).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or