U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Cleveland?
Oakland 50 54.35%
Cleveland 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:17 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,902,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
https://youtu.be/ZDpiGQf_***

For some reason, not showing up. Google Mike Polk, "That's what it's like" (Being a Cleveland fan)

Thanks for the class lol.

Figured this was appropriate now. 52 years and counting!
That's why I wanted the Cavs to win it. I do believe your suffering ends next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:21 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
The 2015 Finals are posting the NBA's best ratings since Michael Jordan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...232911552.html

BOY DO THEY. Posting on CD maybe your thing but watching basketball is 20 million peoples' thing. We all have different tastes i guess.
Exactly. The ratings for the series were off the charts.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,906,926 times
Tennessee Williams once said, "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

All I'm saying is, at least Oakland is located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,575,937 times
I know the way he meant it, but I'm gonna turn it around. Cleveland is "Everywhere Else". That's a LOT of places!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:35 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Exactly. The ratings for the series were off the charts.
NBA Finals draw highest ratings since 1998, Michael Jordan's last season with Chicago Bulls

Yeah, it was the most viewed NBA finals since 1998. I credit a huge chunk of that to people wanting to see LeBron fall flat on his face again (it's almost like a national holiday now -- though I have gained a lot of respect for him) but some (such as Colin Cowherd) credit Golden State's new style of perimeter play to be exciting to watch, and becoming the new 'thing'.

Curry is exciting to watch, but I also feel like luck had a huge role in the championship. Almost every single team they faced in the playoff had key injuries (Mike Conley for the Grizzlies, Beverly and Montajuanas for the Rockets, Kyrie and Love for the Cavs).

This isn't to take anything from Golden State -- but unofficially there's almost an asterisk over their championship because of it. I think they're set well into the future, and I get the impression we'll see them for a while.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Mike Conley missed 1 game.

An "unofficial" asterisk because of injuries? Please look back at every season in every sport ever. Or to save time, just check out the wonderful Grantland, SI or Bleacher Report articles that chronicles all this for those who think this was some kind of phenomenon..

EDIT:

This is no more silly than Skip Bayless and others saying the Warriors are lucky they didn't have to face the Clippers or the Spurs... To quote the response from ESPN's Ethan Strauss: Yeah Skip, Golden State sure was lucky to avoid all these playoff teams they were clearly better than..

Is luck a factor? Obviously, just check out the articles I mentioned above. But it's not the first thought I have about a champion whose longest losing streak was... 2 games.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 06-18-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:05 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
It is what it is, the Warriors won and they had a spectacular 67-15 season to show for their title this year.

Although Cleveland did a lot better than I expected of them. My thoughts were that the Warriors would sweep the Cavaliers or that the Warriors would win in 5 games (so basically in 4 or 5 was my idea before the series). The Cavaliers played magnificent, even led the series at one point up 2-1 and that was without their second and their third best players being there for almost all the series (Kyrie Irving was there for Game 1, which the Cavaliers lost anyways).

Cleveland has a lot to be happy about going into next year, you have to think with how they played undermanned that the re-additions of Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving will make them the team to beat next year (certainly in the Eastern Conference they are the only relevant team, in my opinion).

Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
No Kyrie (and Love) turned the series in to a joke (I'm talking about the actual game play). IE Lebron doing everything, Lebron holding the ball deep in to possessions to not allow the Warriors more possessions but at the same time making the Cavs play without anything even resembling a NBA offense, Warriors having no clue how to play against this never been done before cluster ****, etc etc)

What we would have been treated to with Kyrie (and Love) is normal basketball, the kind of basketball the Warriors destroyed the league with this year. Did the Cavs have a chance to win the series with their full team? Sure. But that has nothing to do with how well they played without their injured players. The reason is because that is two totally different teams and styles. Adding just Kyrie completely changes the Cavs offense (and defense) and makes it into more of a normal game. Something the Warriors would have preferred and excelled at all season.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
No Kyrie (and Love) turned the series in to a joke (I'm talking about the actual game play). IE Lebron doing everything, Lebron holding the ball deep in to possessions to not allow the Warriors more possessions but at the same time making the Cavs play without anything even resembling a NBA offense, Warriors having no clue how to play against this never been done before cluster ****, etc etc)
The Cavaliers were reduced to being the Kevin Durant-less Oklahoma City Thunder. You know the iteration of the Thunder where that incompetent Scott Brooks would basically tell everyone "give the ball to Russell Westbrook and everybody else stay out of the way" which gave Russell Westbrook a historic run through the second half of the regular season. He practically averaged a triple double of 30-15-10 in almost every single game (minimum) of the second half of the regular season.

This is not all too dissimilar to what the Cavaliers were reduced to being with Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving out. LeBron James practically averaged 35-15-10 the entire NBA Finals series and he (like Russell Westbrook of the Thunder) didn't have any other choice but to. The Cavaliers didn't have dependable offensive pieces on their thinner lineup.

Steve Kerr should have been given the MVP, I know he's not a player but he's the one that's made the differences for the Warriors. They were like 15 games better this season than last reason and the only three moves they even made in the off-season was replacing Jackson with Kerr, bringing in Livingston and Barbosa and the latter two aren't "crucial" additions to have made them jump by 15 games. I credit Kerr's playbook and strategies, he is quick to make adjustments and has the best philosophy versus any opponent (he basically says the first two quarters we will use to "gauge" our opponents style of play and then make the necessary adjustments afterwards).

Still though, you have to admit, the Cavaliers were reduced to being the LeBron James show and his entire supporting cast was lottery team worthy. For them to have even won two freakin' games against the most talented, stacked, and equipped roster in the league this season is not just impressive but unfathomable. For all intents and purposes, they did take the Warriors to the brink in this series, as an undermanned outfit no less. I wasn't expecting that but it happened.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 06-18-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 02:15 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Mike Conley missed 1 game.

An "unofficial" asterisk because of injuries? Please look back at every season in every sport ever. Or to save time, just check out the wonderful Grantland, SI or Bleacher Report articles that chronicles all this for those who think this was some kind of phenomenon..

EDIT:

This is no more silly than Skip Bayless and others saying the Warriors are lucky they didn't have to face the Clippers or the Spurs... To quote the response from ESPN's Ethan Strauss: Yeah Skip, Golden State sure was lucky to avoid all these playoff teams they were clearly better than..

Is luck a factor? Obviously, just check out the articles I mentioned above. But it's not the first thought I have about a champion whose longest losing streak was... 2 games.
Oh definitely. I'm just saying what I've been reading from various online trolls and people like Skip Bayless, Stephan A. Smith, and Charles Barkley. Injuries are a luck based phenomenon, I would agree with that. However, it's also the GM's responsibility to obtain enough depth to try and mitigate some of the damage.

Sure, when Conley went down, starting Calathes was a real dip in talent. However, the bigger factor in that series was Steve Kerr for learning how to adjust to whatever reality was thrown at him.

He should have been Finals MVP. He basically made a 51 win team with mostly the same people as last year become 67 win team, and adjusting whenever the reality changed. He himself was a role player for his career, and his style emphasized the importance of depth and getting everyone involved.

And to Skip Bayless's retarded tweet: you mean the healthy Spurs that couldn't beat a benchless Clipper team? Or the Clipper team that couldn't close out an injured Rockets team being up 3-1? I don't think the Warriors players really care all that much, nor should they. They weren't going to forfeit just because the other team had injuries.

Since David Lee is most likely gone, it will be interesting to see who the Warriors pick up in the offseason, assuming they can get rid a huge chunk of that $15 million salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or