U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Cleveland?
Oakland 50 54.35%
Cleveland 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:30 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times

Advertisements

The San Antonio Spurs were retarded this year. Against the Los Angeles Clippers, we both saw them hacking Chris Paul (wtf?) in some of those close "must-win" games. It makes zero sense because why would Chris Paul, a 90% free throw shooter this year, miss key/clutch free throws. Like mentioned above, they were a fully healthy team in the first round too, so their demise was their own stupidity. I personally thought they gave the entire series away to a team they could've beaten. They lost though and with the way they played, they deserved to lose.

As for the Los Angeles Clippers versus the Houston Rockets. It was just the Los Angeles Clippers being the same Los Angeles Clippers they've always been. Technically the two teams play with opposite sense of urgency. The Rockets don't actually "play" until their backs are against the wall and playing at a high level is demanded out of them, this is their fatal flaw as they presume too little and don't take their opponents seriously. This is why they lost to the Warriors, they had their chances to close out Games 1 and 2 but stupidly didn't against Golden State. The Clippers are a whole different species as a team. They start off their games and their series' exerting so much force and energy that by the end of the game and/or playoff series they have little left in the tank, not to mention their bench is razor thin to begin with, so essentially they're asking Griffin, Paul, Redick, and Jordan to be the entire teams offense. They also show zero respect for playing with urgency or taking things seriously and that is why they were eliminated in the most humiliating fashion possible this year in the NBA Western Conference Semi-Finals series against the Rockets. The Clippers lost though, and the way they played, they absolutely deserved to lose (and deserve all the scrutiny they've been handed since then - what a colossally epic collapse, seriously).

LeBron James has been taking advtantage of a pathetically weak Eastern Conference for 5 years straight. There is zero reason to expect a change for next year in the Eastern Conference. I mentioned this before (in this very thread) but LeBron James, I've got him penciled to go to the next 3-5 NBA Finals straight from the Eastern Conference. The only thing that can change that is Kevin Durant leaving Oklahoma City Thunder to go and play for the Washington Wizards in the Eastern Conference and personally, I don't think Durant is leaving the far more stacked, talented, and superior Thunder for the Eastern Conference.

So LeBron James basically owns the Eastern Conference. There isn't a single team in the Eastern Conference that could stop Cleveland from advancing to the Finals.

The Eastern Conference in the MLS (Major League Soccer) is also pathetically weak/non-competitive compared to the Western Conference in the MLS (Major League Soccer), just like how it is in the NBA.

Something needs to be done in these sports leagues about these conference disparities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:41 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,589,690 times
I hope you're right regarding LeBron and the Cavs having an easy path to the finals. I'm the first to know that nothing is ever assured or easy, especially in Cleveland. Wouldn't surprise me that somehow the team out of the west is even stronger next year, or the east gets someone who makes another team strong, or the Cavs are plagued by injuries, also LeBron, while dominant, probably only has about 2-3 more years left at THIS LEVEL. Meaning, the time to win is now, and fast. This article captures what LeBron was thinking after the game.

LeBron James delivers a performance for the ages in 2015 NBA Finals

Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I hope you're right regarding LeBron and the Cavs having an easy path to the finals. I'm the first to know that nothing is ever assured or easy, especially in Cleveland. Wouldn't surprise me that somehow the team out of the west is even stronger next year, or the east gets someone who makes another team strong, or the Cavs are plagued by injuries, also LeBron, while dominant, probably only has about 2-3 more years left at THIS LEVEL. Meaning, the time to win is now, and fast. This article captures what LeBron was thinking after the game.

LeBron James delivers a performance for the ages in 2015 NBA Finals
The only thing that could prevent the Cleveland Cavaliers from going to the NBA Finals are injuries to LeBron James (cause injuries to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love clearly don't halt Cleveland), that is it, for the next 3-5 years straight. Oh and if Kevin Durant heads over to the Eastern Conference during free-agency to play for the Washington Wizards. Those are literally the ONLY two roadblocks Cleveland has (and I think Cleveland is well poised to get its first title in the next 5 years).

Lets do a roll-call of the teams in the Eastern Conference that pose a "threat" to the Cleveland Cavaliers:

- Atlanta Hawks: LOL, they were swept by an undermanned Cavaliers units that for the most of the series didn't even look like they broke a sweat. Literally the Cavaliers controlled everything in this series, everything, and they swept a 60-22 juggernaut in the Eastern Conference Finals. If that isn't exerting dominance over your opponent, I don't know what is.

- Chicago Bulls: Lets keep it 100, the Bulls have been LeBron James' personal b**** for like 5 years straight now. He's eliminated them (with two different teams with varying roster strength from weak to fully loaded) 4 times now. They have zero chance. LeBron owns the Chicago Bulls, they are his floor-mat each year and every single year.

- Washington Wizards: Okay, so this isn't a scrub team like all of the rest of the Eastern Conference (save for Cleveland Cavaliers) and clearly they've proven to be the second best unit in the Eastern Conference. They were FAR superior to the Atlanta Hawks in the second round but the only reason the Hawks advanced is because John Wall went down in the middle of the series and missed 2 games, which gave Atlanta life-support to get the job done (the Wizards were up 2-1 before Wall went down). The Wizards can threaten Cleveland ONLY if Kevin Durant goes there next summer (and my guess is he wont, he'd be retarded to leave a more stacked team that can give him FAR more money just to play in the horrid East). Remember, making the Finals from the East is easy, it is beating the West that is excruciatingly hard. Otherwise, without Durant, through natural development and experience this team is going to be the closest to challenging Cleveland in the East (Wall and Beal are both 24 years old or younger, both are Washington's cornerstones).

- Toronto Raptors: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. This team doesn't know what the heck defense is. They're a high-octane offense and that is good enough to get into the playoffs with a respectable record, coming from the Eastern Conference, but its not enough to actually go deep or be a problem for anyone (other than themselves). The Toronto Raptor's offense is their plus point, but even their offense is streaky and is prone to going cold for entire stretches, so they have zero reliability at title contention. Zero, in this current iteration at least.

- Indiana Pacers: They had to deal with injuries with Paul George all year, so they're poised for a bounce back next year but the thing is this team is marginally weaker than it was last season when it was 58-24 and played LeBron James and the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals for 2 years straight. They no longer have Lance Stephenson (who was crucial against LeBron and for the Pacers in general that year) and he's regressed immsensely since. Paul George is clearly not 100% yet and I don't think he's ever going back to what he was before but expect him to get close, still he cannot carry the Pacers enough for them to be a threat to the Cavaliers. David West has regressed. Roy Hibbert is the worst Center I've seen in quite some time and gets worse each year. George Hill has regressed and continues to regress each year. They have an inconsistent and questionable bench at best. They'll make the playoffs next year but no threat to Cleveland.

- Miami Heat: This team is a darkhorse. If they retain Dwyane Wade (which I feel they will), Goran Dragic (see what I said for Wade), Luol Deng, Chris Bosh comes back healthy, and Hassan Whiteside continues developing into a beast, this team will pose the most issues for the Cavaliers. They are stacked, talented, and hopefully next year will be healthy. The issue is, they are way past their primes. Dragic already regressed this year from last year and he's getting older, his ceiling is staying the same he was this year, point guards age the worst among all players on the court. By 32, they're washed up offensive talents, regressed defensive talents, and are only accountable for 3-point shooting and passing/setting up plays at that point. I don't see Cleveland having any issues dispatching this squad within 6 games in any round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. Cleveland is better coached, FAR younger, has better players, and has the best player in the world.

- Brooklyn Nets: LOL, that is all.

- Boston Celtics/Charlotte Hornets/Others: These are godawful clubs and if they ever make the playoffs with the rosters they have now it is only a testament of how godawful and pathetically the East really is. Boston actually did make the playoffs this year with a losing record. Godawful. They were swept. Godawful. Their entire roster is based off one good 6th man in Isaiah Thomas and the rest of their full roster is a collection of 7th-15th men (even the starters are 7th men on real title contenders).

Keep in mind all the best talent in the league plays in the West: Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, Zach Randolph, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, so on.

Cleveland Cavaliers will have their shot again at a title very soon, like I said, I think they'll go the next 3-5 years straight to the NBA Finals (and I lean closer to the 5 years than to the 3 years in this). No worries. Cleveland sort of owns the Eastern Conference (well technically LeBron does but he plays for Cleveland).

Old 06-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Also, while LeBron James is 30 years old and going on 31 years old in December, his co-stars are Kevin Love (26 years old) and Kyrie Irving (23 years old). You essentially have the BEST small forward in the East (LeBron), best power forward in the East (Love), and one of the top two point guards in the East (Kyrie, tied with Wall).

For whatever production that begins to slip for LeBron, his teammates and his entire teams youth will easily make up for it. I think the title window for LeBron grew the moment he left Miami for Cleveland. In Miami he was with aging co-stars in Dwyane Wade (33 years old) and Chris Bosh (31 years old). Luol Deng is also old and on the decline now, as is Goran Dragic. Miami's future is in Hassan Whiteside to be the "main star" and to carry the weight. That is one really really old team. Cleveland doesn't have this problem at all, not in the least bit. They're incredibly young and geared towards the future 3-5 years.

Like I said, the only thing that can change the game for Cleveland is injuries to LeBron or if a guy on the caliber of Durant/Davis/Westbrook/Curry/Harden move to the East. Given that Harden and Curry are likely to never leave the teams they built up, the places that WILL give them the maximum contract when applicable without any second thoughts, and that they love where they play - no threat there. Given that New Orleans will extend Anthony Davis' contract as soon as possible this summer, he isn't a threat to join the East. Given that Westbrook is on contract for two more seasons and in all likelihood will stay with Oklahoma City (who will dole out the maximum for him) and same with Durant, I don't think Cleveland has to worry.

If you see Kevin Durant go to the Washington Wizards though, then get worried. That will change things radically but I don't think it'll happen.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 PM

18,246 posts, read 25,947,876 times
I said it during the playoffs that the Chicago/Cleveland series would be your real Eastern Conference Finals and it was.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:07 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,177,590 times
The parade is just spectacular.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The parade is just spectacular.
Congratulations on the win and victory.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,602,606 times
It seems the same cities have teams that win all the time...SF Bay Area and Chicago are two cities that instantly come to mind. Always have some winning team every few yeara...meanwhile Atlanta hasn't seen a championship from ANY team since 1995.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It seems the same cities have teams that win all the time...SF Bay Area and Chicago are two cities that instantly come to mind. Always have some winning team every few yeara...meanwhile Atlanta hasn't seen a championship from ANY team since 1995.
The Atlanta Hawks are one piece away from true title contention. They have everything else; the ball movement (which is key in the NBA now), the floor spacing, the defense, the offense, the coach, the media market size (dudes love playing in big cities). They need a true center/5 though and not just any center, they need one that is a rebounding machine.

They do that, they can lock up the Eastern Conference, even without having a Superstar player (and instead having several "star" players). I don't know what the Atlanta Braves problem is, it is not like they have lacked the opportunity to win in the last decade, but they fail to execute in the postseason, which costs them dearly.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,120,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
SF Bay had like a 15 year drought between championships (Niners won in 1995, Giants won in 2010). The 2000s weren't that kind to them, unless you want to count MLS championships (2001, 2003).

Chicago, sure. They had a 7 year break between the 1998 Bulls and 2005 White Sox, and a 5 year break between the Sox championship and the 2009-2010 Blackhawks win.

LA's won a ton
NYC's won a ton
Boston kinda went off, though they had longer droughts than the other metros here (Red Sox had 86 years, Patriots had 41 years, Celtics had 22 years, Bruins had 39 years).

For Atlanta, the Hawks are probably the team that's closest to contention. The Falcons have way too many defensive holes that need a few drafts to cover up, the Braves are in clear rebuild until the new stadium opens (though the pitching has come along much better than expected). However, the Hawks need a superstar who can be consistent in the playoffs. Honestly, the 90s Braves really underachieved. At least they won ONE championship, but they should've won way more with the Glavine-Maddux-Smoltz combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or