U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Cleveland?
Oakland 50 54.35%
Cleveland 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:35 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,575,937 times

Advertisements

LeBron’s Greatest Challenge: The NBA Finals Aren’t Kind To Underdogs | FiveThirtyEight

On another note... Yikes... Looks like Cleveland's curse is alive and well, and will extend for a long time as Golden State is still approaching peak years...

Best chance was to get a game winner on that last possession of regulation last night, then defend home court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:35 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Breh breh, Oakland is awesome whether the media chooses to report it or not.
It'll be interesting to see what would happen if the Dubs end up winning it all, where they would choose to have the victory parade.

Broadway in Oakland OR Market Street in San Francisco.

Or just shut down the Bay Bridge and have them go across it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
LeBron’s Greatest Challenge: The NBA Finals Aren’t Kind To Underdogs | FiveThirtyEight

On another note... Yikes... Looks like Cleveland's curse is alive and well, and will extend for a long time as Golden State is still approaching peak years...

Best chance was to get a game winner on that last possession of regulation last night, then defend home court.
Game 1 was the one the Cavs should have won. Imagine if LeBron or Shumpert hit the game winner
-Kyrie would still be healthy (he would have had more rest - Blatt's a moron for playing him 43 minutes)
-CLE would've stolen home court
-More pressure on an inexperienced GSW team.

Without Kyrie, I think it's gonna be a sweep. Delladedova should have started game 1 and had Kyrie coming off the bench, but now he's thrusted into a starting role on the biggest stage.

I actually gained a lot of respect for LeBron during this playoff run - but I think it might be over already.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 06-05-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 02:10 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
It'll be interesting to see what would happen if the Dubs end up winning it all, where they would choose to have the victory parade.

Pretty sure they already said it would be in Oakland. I can't believe that was even a debate and some people actually thought SF should be a part of it. The egos and attitude in that city are ridiculous.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post

Writers in the Oakland media outlets have voiced some frustrations over their treatment by neighbor San Francisco and their own sports teams.

Here were the parts that stuck out to me:
Quote:
Yet where is there any loyalty to Oakland? It was Oakland which rescued the Warriors in 1971 after they were financially drowning in San Francisco, the same city they can't wait to get back to.

And how was Oakland's loyalty rewarded? Then Warriors owner Franklin Mieuli decided against calling his team the Oakland Warriors, but instead gave them a meaningless surname that has no governor, mayor or zip code -- a repugnant surname which won't appear anywhere in this column.
Their comparison of San Francisco relations with East Bay and South Bay was interesting too. It seems the general stigma is that San Francisco doesn't mess with South Bay but faintly marginalizes East Bay:
Quote:
So why is Oakland beaten up by its sports ownerships, not to mention the San Francisco media, which watched the 49ers move to Santa Clara with, comparatively, nary a peep?

There's nothing wrong with Oakland, except for its wealthy sports owners, who won't spend a dime to renovate or build a stadium in Oakland, but would rather see Oakland go further into debt. Nice guys.

Two closing thoughts. If the Warriors do move to San Francisco in a few years, into an 18,000-seat arena, you know they will become the San Francisco Warriors again. Thanks, Motel Oakland! But if they win this NBA championship and hold the victory parade in San Francisco, their owners would be the worst ownership on the face of this Earth.
Dave Newhouse on NBA Finals: Oakland deserves sports teams that show it respect, loyalty - San Jose Mercury News

It was interesting to read.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 06-05-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:26 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Golden State Warriors-Cleveland Cavaliers: A Battle Between Two Very Different Americas - Forbes

(posted before reading)

EDIT: Oh it was very short with no new or interesting info.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 06-05-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:29 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Cleveland wins as a city, Warriors win the series in 5 if Irving can't play.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:55 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cleveland wins as a city.
Wins what, exactly?

My pic.

People are largely clueless with regards to Oakland.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Cleveland has 0 (owner occupied) homes valued at 1 milli+?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,575,937 times
Series: I am thinking right now with the news that Kyrie is out that it will be GSW in 5 Kyrie Irving of Cleveland Cavaliers fractures kneecap, will have season-ending surgery... That is what I expect at this point unfortunately. However, I say that with a caveat. If (and this is a very doubtful if, but if the Cavs are able to get it to a game 6 down 3-2, they WILL NOT, or at least more likely than not be closed out at home, in which case it'd go 7. Then there's my heart pick that says Cavs in 6 (hey, gotta dream, right?)

Numbers on Millionaires: I found this to be shocking also, and so I went to my buddy, Zillow.com. Fortunately (I think?) Cleveland was not shut out of this club entirely, with my count being 11 homes in the Edgewater neighborhood called the "Gold Coast" being priced over 1 Million, and 1 surpassing the 2 million mark, a significant percentage of that neighborhood is at least over $500K. I think it is well established that Cleveland prices are way more affordable than most anywhere, but by Cleveland standards, the steady neighborhood of Shaker Square is in the 350-500K range, as are a decent number of places in heavily gentrifying areas such as Little Italy, University Circle, Tremont, Ohio City, Gordon Square and Downtown. Also, the outskirt neighborhoods of Cleveland, which in many regards are more urban feeling than some parts of the actual Oakland city limits, including the parts of Lakewood (by the water at least), Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights nearest to the City of Cleveland, along with Bratenahl which is surrounded on all sides by Cleveland. There is a significant portion of Shaker Heights census blocks that are over the fabled $250K+ census demographic, which is actually more uncommon than you'd think coming from the Bay Area, coming from Florida, my curiosity wanted to look into that and the only place I could find that matched that portion of Shaker Heights in that regard was Palm Beach. Those parts even have certain homes that exceed 5$ Million in value.

As per that chart: at initial glance, it really does show a butt kicking, which the City of Oakland does to the City of Cleveland in some areas. However, I think the unique thing which makes these two so hard to compare is that the region of Cleveland allows for the City of Cleveland to have more amenities and entertainment overall than Oakland has, because it's likely that a lot of that entertainment is concentrated in San Francisco. There are many areas in Neighboring Suburbs (Lakewood/The Heights) that feel more dense/urban even than many parts of Cleveland for that matter, and are in much, much better financial straits, and so even including those 3 would yield much closer results. It at least appears to me, perhaps wrongly so also, that at least for Oakland and immediate suburbs and Cleveland and immediate suburbs, that even with the wage disparity between the two, Cleveland in all likelihood still has wages that are more commensurate with being able to afford a decent space for a family.
Attached Thumbnails
Oakland vs. Cleveland (in honor of NBA finals time)-cavsin6.jpg  

Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Series: I am thinking right now with the news that Kyrie is out that it will be GSW in 5 Kyrie Irving of Cleveland Cavaliers fractures kneecap, will have season-ending surgery... That is what I expect at this point unfortunately. However, I say that with a caveat. If (and this is a very doubtful if, but if the Cavs are able to get it to a game 6 down 3-2, they WILL NOT, or at least more likely than not be closed out at home, in which case it'd go 7. Then there's my heart pick that says Cavs in 6 (hey, gotta dream, right?)
Hey, the Cavs went pretty far in year 1 with LeBron back. I honestly don't think he'll leave again, but will probably opt-out to get a max contract (that'll last for the rest of his career).

I think this year regardless should be a huge victory for Cavs fans. The East is also pretty weak, with really only Chicago, Atlanta, and DC to worry about. Unlike the latter 3 teams, the Cavs are the least dysfunctional. I think they'll be back in the Finals next year.

The AL Central is all kinds of weak this year, so the Indians are just one hot streak away from being on the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or