Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Cleveland?
Oakland 50 54.35%
Cleveland 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:16 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times

Advertisements

In honor of the NBA finals, like every other sports championship thread there is, it would be nice to see what the general consensus of the cities (and in this case, really just the city limits) would be. Both these cities have been somewhat maligned in the media, with both cities having tortured sports histories, and both seem to be on the up and up.

So, have at it.

Weather:
Theme Parks
Museums/Culture:
Parks:
Scenery:
Sports:
Economy:
Higher Education:
K-12 Education (Overall Region):
"Big City" feel:
Food:
Interesting Suburbs:
Public Transit:
Healthcare:
Overall Livability:
Shopping:

NOTE: I actually haven't been to Cleveland yet, so I won't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:08 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Weather: OAK
Theme Parks: CLE
Museums/Culture: CLE
Parks: CLE
Scenery: natural: Tie, man made, CLE
Sports: OAK
Economy: OAK
History: CLE
Higher Education: TIE
K-12 Education (Overall Region): (don't know OAK's education system, so I can't vote here)
"Big City" feel: CLE
Food: CLE
Interesting Suburbs: CLE
Public Transit: TIE (OAK is on BART, but BART is oriented to SF more than OAK); RTA is strictly greater Cleveland and is one of the better transit systems
Healthcare: CLE
Overall Livability: OAK (mainly because of the climate and better economy, but housing, culture and quality of life aspects, CLE)
Shopping: CLE (in the suburbs)

Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 9,007 times
I bet for Cleveland.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Public Transit: TIE (OAK is on BART, but BART is oriented to SF more than OAK); RTA is strictly greater Cleveland and is one of the better transit systems
BART is actually more oriented toward Oakland. AC Transit and BART, after all, are based in Oakland.

Last edited by JMT; 06-01-2015 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Violation of rules for posting images

Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Well since Cleveland is more then likely going to win, my vote goes to Cleveland.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I personally think Cleveland is a better city than Oakland is every way and in almost all your categories expect for weather and location which leads me to my point that Oakland is so close to San Fran and the Bay Area is an amazing place to live I bet it wins the poll.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Oh and my pick:

Warriors in 5 or 6. They're a more complete team than the Cavs.

I know there are going to be lazy comparisons to the 2012 Thunder, but the 2012 Thunder's offense nor defense were nearly as good. Plus, Scott Brooks is a pretty awful coach dependent on Westbrook and Durant isos.

Not to mention this years Cavs are nowhere near as good as the 2012 Heat.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I think the standalone vs. region thing is something BIG here. Also, WEATHER is big. However, I think affordability and livability also may loom large in Cleveland's favor.

Cleveland will always be home, but at some point I wouldn't mind living in the Pacific Northwest for sure, and the weather there is my ideal.

Weather: Oakland (nowhere better)
Theme Parks: I'm gonna say Cleveland because I know Cedar Point is awesome. I don't know where and if the Bay Area has a major theme park or not.
Museums/Culture: Cleveland (among the best there are)
Parks: Cleveland (Cleveland Metroparks and Lake Erie provide fantastic recreational opportunities for those in the region)
Scenery: Oakland (But Napa Valley, bay, hills, etc.? Stunning.)
Sports: Cleveland
Economy: Cleveland (city itself) Oakland (region)
Location: Tie (because Cleveland is <4 hours from the Sold Midwest, Solid South, Toronto and the Mid Atlantic, and the nearest other region to San Fran is LA, a full days drive. More variance for Cleveland, but for Oakland residents, having the Pacific Coast Highway, Napa Valley and San Fran within an hour, and Yosemite about 3 away is pretty darn nice.)
History: Cleveland (and even if San Fran was included, it would be pretty comparable. The Cleveland region has A LOT of history)
Higher Education: Oakland
K-12 Education (Overall Region): Don't know, both I'm guessing are bad within city, really good in outlying suburbs
"Big City" feel: Oakland? (Because San Francisco)
Food: Cleveland because I like old timey mom/pop and places that feel like they were taken with them directly from Ellis Island, but, I'm certain that Oakland's isn't bad and San Fran/Napa is pretty nice to have
Interesting Suburbs: Tie (Berkeley is more "interesting" than any place in Northeastern Ohio I would guess, but Cleveland was settled as the CWR, and "Out New Englands New England" in many of the ways it is set up)
Public Transit: Don't know but guessing Oakland
Healthcare: Cleveland by a nudge (I'm sure the Bay Area has many great options but doesn't have a global healthcare destination like CC, and UH is fantastic also)
Overall Livability: Cleveland (cheaper, less traffic, more relaxed pace of life, did I mention CHEAPER)
Shopping: Oakland (By a longshot, I'm sure Bay Area has A LOT of wealth)

I think I could be happy in either place. For me the decision would be between the sense of community and streetscape/high culture present in Cleveland, and the perfect weather, stunning scenery, and vibrancy of the Bay Area.

Eventually I want to move back to Cleveland, but I may also want to try the Bay Area and would start by looking at Oakland, as I'm guessing the surrounding suburbs there would be more affordable than those in other parts of the B.A.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
BART is actually more oriented toward Oakland. AC Transit and BART, after all, are based in Oakland.
Where they are based as one thing, but clearly BART was designed to mainly serve SF, esp downtown SF, and even though major lines converge in Oakland, Oakland is more like an SF suburb (an urbanized suburb, but a suburb nonetheless) than a core city... It's not unlike Newark's relationship to NYC -- that huge rail transit network that serves Newark wouldn't exist if it didn't sit next door to the New York megalopolis.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Oh and my pick:

Warriors in 5 or 6. They're a more complete team than the Cavs.

I know there are going to be lazy comparisons to the 2012 Thunder, but the 2012 Thunder's offense nor defense were nearly as good. Plus, Scott Brooks is a pretty awful coach dependent on Westbrook and Durant isos.

Not to mention this years Cavs are nowhere near as good as the 2012 Heat.
Heart Pick: Cavs in 6
Head Pick: Warriors in 7 (using the algorithm I created, at least)

However, if Clay Thompson isn't at full strength that could be the great equalizer, also depending on how well Kyrie comes back for this series. I also wonder if Tristan will be able to continue his dominance on the glass, will be crucial as we can't afforrd to give GSW shooters second chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City