Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Cleveland?
Oakland 50 54.35%
Cleveland 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times

Advertisements

Poor Oakland, I'm watching ESPN right now and it seems that the teams stay in San Francisco and do shoot around there.

Chauncey Billups is all lost driving through Golden Gate Park right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Poor Oakland, I'm watching ESPN right now and it seems that the teams stay in San Francisco and do shoot around there.
lol this is another 'only on C-D controversy'.

Why shouldnt they stay in The City? It's where the best hotels, restaurants, attractions and most vibrant urban locale for a thousand miles in any direction and there's direct BART access to the coliseum. Hell, more power to them.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
There are also "laws" in some sports about how close an opposing team can stay to (I believe) the local stadium. This is why NFL teams stay in Appleton (30 miles away) instead of Green Bay, because the town is so small that the radius puts them basically out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure how this might relate, but it's a thought. And yes obviously, most would rather stay in San Fran than Oakland.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Why shouldnt they stay in The City? It's where the best hotels, restaurants, attractions and most vibrant urban locale for a thousand miles in any direction and there's direct BART access to the coliseum. Hell, more power to them.
I'm just trying to show The Town some love, brah. I think it deserves more shine than SF media, and hell, national media gives it.

When I used to live up there, I used to kick it at the Redwood Regional Park along Skyline to even myself out. It's been a few years though...

Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
That was always one of the local arguments for why the Warriors should move back to SF.

"All the other teams stay there anyways."

"It's where the players hang out during off time."

"It would help with attracting top tier free agents."

Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

It's pretty obvious to a lot of local sports fans how the media treats Oakland's teams.

With Warriors in finals, why won't he media just say ‘Oakland’

Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Nah, the Atlanta Hawks have been in a slump since All-Star Break. They were practically unbeatable before then, after that point they've looked mortal and very beatable. They finished their season as a quasi-Indiana Pacers (2013-2014) by finishing the regular season by playing 0.500 ball in the home stretch. Keep in mind the day All-Star Break started, Atlanta was two games ahead of the Golden State Warriors in team record and by the end of the season they just trotted through the finish line not looking anything like a 60-22 team.

It got even worse for Atlanta in the postseason where everyone's criticisms for it came out to be true. Everyone that called them a "title pretender" or "regular season success story" or "Phoenix Suns of the 1990s and 2000s 2.0" turned out to be right.

In the first round, the Brooklyn Nets took the Atlanta Hawks to town, somehow a sub-0.500 team that's looked awful nearly all season was able to take a 60-22 juggernaut to 6 games.

The second round was even worse for Atlanta, where they were matched up with what absolutely seemed like an imploding Washington Wizards team until the postseason began. The sad part is that Washington looked like the better team the entire series, it wasn't until John Wall injured himself and missed two games straight where Atlanta found life-support for its season and closed out the Wizards in 6 games.

They were swept in the third round by a Cleveland Cavaliers team, that just 4 months ago was looking like a dysfunctional organization of misfits, a team that Atlanta beat 3-1 in the regular season but didn't stand a chance against in the Eastern Conference Finals. Instead they were swept, the worst thing that can ever happen to a team in most sports and that happened to Atlanta.

You're comparing that team to the Golden State Warriors? One of the best teams in NBA history, with a 67-15 record (and really they could've gone 70-12 if they wanted to)? The Warriors have shown no weaknesses. In fact they thrive off letting the other team start strong and then the Warriors make their adjustments accordingly to adjust to their opponent's game. That's how they have managed to shut out legit teams in a legit conference, in the West, throughout the playoffs. Atlanta's path in contrast was mostly cake walk, all it had to do was not screw up, and that's exactly what they did do.

The Cavaliers are on track to get swept. Winning even one game is going to be a moral victory for them. You can play in the Eastern Conference without Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving's floor spacing and ball movement, but you don't stand a chance against the West playing like that.

LeBron James' NBA Finals record is about to fall to 2-4.

LeBron James Has Never Faced Stronger NBA Finals Foe Than Golden State Warriors | Bleacher Report

The Warriors have a lot of depth. They can first put Draymond Green on LeBron, if that doesn't work then Klay Thompson, if that doesn't work then Harrison Barnes, if that doesn't work then Andre Iguadala, if that doesn't work then Festus Ezeli or David Lee.

The Warriors have more depth at center too behind Bogut. All around they're way too stacked for the severly limited Cavaliers.

I do hope Cleveland ends its 53 year sports title drought (second longest in the country behind San Diego's 54 years). I hope LeBron can eventually win one for Cleveland but next year will be more brutal. Good news is that since Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Tim Duncan, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, and DeMarcus Cousins all play in the Western Conference. So Cleveland wont have to worry about any of them until they reach the NBA Finals, that and Cleveland probably has three of the very best players in all of the Eastern Conference on its roster.

Yeah, I've lived in Chicago before so have some idea of what the Midwest is like. I have seen the western parts of the Midwest already save for Minneapolis-Saint Paul. I haven't seen the eastern part of it, the area east of the Ohio River-Mississippi River confluence point.

I'm from the Far East (other side of the planet) but mostly grew up here in the United States.

I suppose my interests are just the usual ones. Curious about what sort of foods and which specific neighborhoods you would recommend to try. I would like to try something authentic to Cleveland or something that has a significant influence on Cleveland.

I mostly like spending time outdoors. So nice parks in nice neighborhoods would be one thing, maybe one of the better history or science museums too. It'll be well into the summer so which areas of Lake Erie do I have to go to do stuff in the water?

What are some nice recreational areas around Cleveland? Any good hiking trails surrounding Northeast Ohio you could recommend? How about some vantage points for the city? What are some cool things to do in Downtown and around that area (any sort of shows or events or something)?
As per the series, definitely not comparing GSW and ATL, GSW is definitely better as Cleveland played pretty well last night and still lost. Just that it's hard to make comparisons.

Before the series, I came up with an algorithm based on Vegas. (For some reason or another, they tend to be pretty darn reliable). With GSW being 5-6 point favorites at home, I figured that with the about 4 point shift either way that they give for home court (especially in this series, where the two teams have been so dominant at home), that the Cavs would be favored by about 2-3 in the games at The Q. I gave GSW a 70% of winning every single one of their games at home based on being -5.5, and I gave the Cavs about a 58% chance of winning each of their games at home, based on being -2.5. I added that together, and had GSW with about a 58% chance of winning the series, which to me, since I couldn't foresee Cleveland losing Game 6 in front of a raucous home crowd, would imply GSW in 7. I still have GSW in about 6-7, but that one, and having Kyrie reaggravate his knee, REALLY REALLY hurts, because I had my hopes up on that last possession in regulation. I hope the teams psyche isn't as battered as mine right now.

After game 1, I have some thoughts.
1. As great as Curry is, LeBron really is far and away the best player on the floor. That could be big, however, I think he got gassed down the stretch, which is why he wasn't taking it inside more late.
2. Kyrie played very well, and was crucial. If he is truly going to be out, or gimpy for the rest of the series, that could spell doom for any chances we had.
3. I think that Mozgov + Thompson are better in the frontcourt than Bogut + Draymond, and it's not that close. There were just times where you could see they were, well, beat.
4. However, the adjustment GSW made by going small against our big lineup was huge down the stretch. Iman, Dellavedova and JR were nowhere to be found. As GSW's warmups said, "Strength in Numbers". It's difficult enough to win with a 7 man rotation, it's dang near impossible to win with only 3-4 on the floor. Perhaps the layoff was a factor as we've struggled with that throughout the playoffs in Game 1s.
5. Need more bench production, and even just getting rest for the guys. Marion or Kendrick need to at least be able to step in for a couple minutes here and there to give Mozgov and Thompson a break.

Cavs can still win, but the road looks much tougher now.

----

In terms of things around Cleveland itself, I'll take those in order.

Region: So it sounds like you've seen a decent amount of the upper midwest, so I'll stick with the areas East of the city. As many have said, the Cuyahoga River is to some degree a dividing line, where people in the West Side Suburbs (excluding Oberlin, Medina, Put in Bay and Vermillion have more of a Midwest Vibe, whereas East Side Suburbs, though there are exceptions, tend to have somewhat more of an East Coast feel, but with some midwest charm mixed in. I would say that even doing a loop around Lake Erie would be a pretty great trip, but I'd say the best comprehensive "loop", would probably be starting in Cleveland (or Sandusky, if Cedar Point and the Lake Erie Islands interested you, and heading southeast from Cleveland towards Pittsburgh and the Alleghenies southeast of the city and whitewater rafting at Ohiopyle, then going north and stargazing at Cherry Springs State Park, then making your way north to Letchworth (the Grand Canyon of the east), through Buffalo (which is surprisingly underrated), then crossing the border and seeing Niagara Falls State Park, the kitschy downtown, the Welland Canal, and Niagara on the Lake which is about the most British place I know of in the America's, very Victorian in nature, and then winding up to Toronto before making your way back. That would give you an idea of how diverse the region is yet if you flew into Cleveland and out of Toronto, would still likely be less than 10 hours of total driving.

Food/Neighborhoods: So in Cleveland itself, there are many places I'd recommend checking out, but if I were to narrow it down I'd go with Chagrin Falls (classic New England feel), Little Italy, East 4th Street, Ohio City and Tremont (those two are right next to each other). The restaurants I would recommend in those places would be in order Gamekeeper's Taverne, Mia Bella (though Guarino's feels more authentic), and also while in that neighborhood grabbing cannoli from Presti's Bakery, Lola (it's Michael Symon's flagship restaurant and the street has a ritzy feel, however if you wanted something more authentic Cleveland, you could opt to get a Polish Boy from Hot Sauce Williams, reflective of Cleveland's African American culture, or a corned beef sandwich from Slyman's Deli, or on that same street, Cleveland has a huge junk food culture, and both the burgers and wings at Greenhouse Tavern have been rated among the best in the US, or at Flannery's I believe they have Irish music, in Ohio City, too many to name, but the West Side Market is THE ONE PLACE you would have to visit in the city for a bratwurst from Frank's or Gyro from Steve's, but also the Falafel stand and Cambodian food in there is highly acclaimed. Just down the street from that you could try award winning brews at Great Lakes, or the Maple Walnut ice cream, fresh from the sap at Mitchell's. In Tremont, another place that is a must visit is Sokolowski's University Inn, which won the James Beard Legacy award and is commonly recognized as about the best Polish food on this side of the pond, and has polka music going all week whenever open. Some other places I didn't talk about include Melt, where Cleveland specializes in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, Happy Dog, which is a hot dog bar with over 50 toppings including fruit loops and Andy Capp's Fries, and speaking of hot dogs, putting the spicy brown mustard on hot dogs at the Indians games. That's a lot, and I'm probably for getting a lot also, but those are just some of the more notable ones.

Outdoor Recreation: As far as Lake Erie, access to the Lake has dramatically improved recently since the Cleveland Metroparks took over Edgewater Park. I believe you can now rent kayaks and SUP's from there, and there is a beach for walking and a few miles of trails. I believe Headlands is the longest beach in the Cleveland area though, that's about a half hour to the east. As far as boating or jet skiing would go, I think the marina at East 185th has a business that is for fishing/boating trips, and I'm guessing they also present opportunities for that. Swimming is somewhat popular within Lake Erie, but also at swimming holes in Punderson State Park, and making the 20 foot cliff dive at Nelson's Ledges Quarry Park, however that can become crowded with hippies LOL. You could also rent an inner tube and float at South Chagrin Reservation along the water, and there are several places popular for kayaking along the Cuyahoga River. Inside the city itself, they are rapidly developing greenways (Towpath Trail, which starts in Southern Ohio, will connect to Lake Erie), but surrounding city limits is something called the Emerald Necklace which stretches 100 miles around the edges of the city area with vast metropark and ecosystems and bike trails. There is also Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which has a myriad of recreational opportunities, and the Holden Arboretum which is a mecca for flower/garden lovers. If I had to pick a few particularly good hikes around town (though there are many), I enjoy the skyline hike at Chapin Forest, the Virginia Kendall Trails within CVNP and walking through Lakeview Cemetery, which right now is probably matched with Edgewater as our best city park, and is filled with beautiful views and history (James A. Garfield, John D. Rockefeller, Eliot Ness, Charles Brush, Jeptha Wade, Henry Sherwin, Harvey Pekar, among others).

Vantage Points: I would say I already mentioned the three best vantage points. Chapin Forest is cool because it allows you to see the city/landscape from far out, and shows why Cleveland was nicknamed the Forest City. The top of the Garfield Memorial, which is absolutely stunning, shows a great view of the history of the city laid out, and Edgewater is sort of the "postcard view", and definitely eliminates many stereotypes about the city. Driving in along the Memorial Shoreway with the windows down during the summer, then turning off and into the city I also find to be a really cool experience.

Museums: Hmm... Well I'd say that as far as museums within the city, the Cleveland Museum of Art is the creme de la creme. It has the world's third largest museum and endowment, and with the new renovations and stunning atrium (it was featured as Shield Headquarters during Captain America), along with just the layout, park like setting, and collection that covers a comprehensive portion of history (major works from every 19th century master, significant Asian/Ancient American holdings, over 1,000 Egyptian antiquities and an original Apollo sculpture from Praxiteles, arguably the most esteemed ancient antiquity in a Western Art Museum, plus an armor court), you could make a strong case that it is one of the Top 5 art museums in the US, and it is free. The Natural History Museum I believe is also in the Top 10 in the US it's holdings, perhaps a nudge below the Carnegie in Pittsburgh but still a place you could spend hours. The Science Center seems to be primarily geared towards kids, but still features a lot and is enjoyable. The Western Reserve Historical Society is in a beautiful building and the archives section of over 20,000,000 has to be seen to be believed (it was the first historical society in America). Keep in mind also the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame unique to the region, and the historical exhibits at the Cuyahoga Valley National Park are also very good for someone wanting to learn about the Wisconsin Glacier of the last Ice Age, to how Standard Oil got it's start. The History Channel documentary "The Men Who Built America", features quite a bit of area history if that interests you. Oh, also there's a Federal Reserve Bank branch downtown that offers free tours during the week and is stunning. Well, a lot of the architecture downtown is stunning : P.

Events: There's a decent amount. I find that sitting out at an Indians baseball game is one of my more enjoyable experiences around town. The City Club of Cleveland is America's first free speech forum, and I'd guess makes for an interesting experience. There is also a thing called Slow Roll, where people meet and bike around the city on a weekly basis to promote certain areas. It got it's start in Detroit, but is increasingly popular here. Edgewater Live! on Thursdays on the Beach, and Wade Oval Wednesdays! in University Circle are both fun ways to get some local flair, there is live music and food trucks present at both and I believe the UC museums stay open late on those nights and offer discounted admission. I think that this page might be helpful to you also, if you're planning on visiting during the summer, there is a guarantee that some festivals will be happening. Ohio Festival Schedule Page | OhioFestivals.net
Cleveland also has a pretty good music scene, Cleveland Orchestra concerts at Blossom, Nighttown, Grog Shop and Beachland Ballroom are all highly acclaimed nationally for Classical, Jazz, Independent and Rock club/concert atmosphere respectively, plus there is a House of Blues downtown. One other thing would be Playhouse Square, the largest theater district in the US outside of NYC which has over 1,000 events annually, also combined with the Cleveland Playhouse which just last year won yet another Tony award.

I realize this list is way more than you could ever possibly see in your time here, but I just wanted to give you some ideas. It's a cool area.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I have heard this about Cleveland and it intrigues me (that and I want to see Severance Hall and visit the Cleveland Art Museum).

Oakland doesn't have the ethnic white/Euro populations that Cleveland has - its white population is very hipster/yuppie/Americanized (you need to go to SF for the Euro hoods). But Oakland represents ethnic African, Asian, and Latin cultures very very well, perhaps all three equally and moreso/better than almost anywhere else in America. You'll find that reflected in the food. Being the in the Bay Area also spoils you when it comes to food. I've done the whole celebrity chef thing in multiple cities, even in SF (where you won't find any of the city's best, truly world renowned chefs doing the whole Food Network thing), and I'll take "average" food in either SF or Oakland or Berkeley from some random restaurant anyday of the week over hyped food from other cities. It's just that much better, in my opinion. But I'd love to get some of that ethnic Euro food from some of those old neighborhoods in Cleveland! That would appeal to me A LOT more than going to a Michael Symon restaurant.
Fair enough LOL. As you can see my beyond expansive (probably too much so) post might give you some ideas. What's interesting is that even the more well known chefs in Cleveland don't try and spin away from the classics, if anything they sort of put their own spin on them (e.g. Michael Symon's Beef Cheek Pierogi)

Old 06-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
That was always one of the local arguments for why the Warriors should move back to SF.

"All the other teams stay there anyways."

"It's where the players hang out during off time."

"It would help with attracting top tier free agents."
Ive been here my entire life and only heard calls to move the team back to the city when these new owners came along.

Furthermore, Im pretty certain most local pro athletes live in the East Bay or lower Peninsula. SF is great to visit but hard to find a 4-car garage and swimmng pool. The Oakland Hills, Lamorinda, TriValley and 680 corridor have way more of these people as residents than the City.

Steph Curry for example, lives in Orinda.

Ironically, not far from Buster Posey.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I'm just trying to show The Town some love, brah. I think it deserves more shine than SF media, and hell, national media gives it.

When I used to live up there, I used to kick it at the Redwood Regional Park along Skyline to even myself out. It's been a few years though...
Breh breh, Oakland is awesome whether the media chooses to report it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858
It's pretty obvious to a lot of local sports
fans how the media treats Oakland's teams.
The teams themselves are to blame. These ownership groups do nothing to promote pride in the city so EFF them and the media thinks Oakland is like Compton in the 1980s so really EFF them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City