U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,346,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You know, it's hard to imagine a New Yorker or San Franciscan coming here to brag about his city's "hip vibe". Excuse me, were it a San Franciscan, it would prefer to be referenced by a gender neutral pronoun. Either way, you don't see them doing this, and as a native Bostonian and current Washingtonian, the last thing I'd call my present hometown is hip.

I know you Philadelphians like to come here and write these books about how your city is big time. If it makes you feel better, great. But I was passing through your town recently on the Acela, and realized I hadn't actually gotten off in Philly in years. And quite honestly, the silly homerism here makes it seem less desirable. Houston and Dallas are larger metros, and would be far more interesting cities if they even had fake models of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Yet you don't see residents of those cities coming here and writing 18 paragraph posts about how great their cities are.

Yes, there's good Italian in Philly, same in NY, Chicago, Boston, etc..., yes there's history. But guess what, we know that, and it's not a hard city to get to. So why does Philly still need such heavy promotion?
1. There is a lot more than just good Italian food in Philly. Philly has one of the best restaurant and food scenes in the country, easily surpassing Boston and DC.

2. I doubt the poster is from Philly since this is his first post.

3. This is a Huffington Post article, which is based in NYC (not Philly).

4. You continue to bypass one of the best urban experiences this country has to offer because of a few posters on an internet forum? Lol. Philadelphia is changing quickly. It's awesome to experience the change. Did you ever think Philadelphian's are maybe proud and happy to see their city changing positively and growing after so many years of decline?

5. Houston and Dallas more interesting then Philly? Bahaha. There's a lot more to Philadelphia than Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It's funny but these two things - along with Rocky - are usually the only things people know about Philadelphia who are not very familiar at all with the city. Pick up a US history book mang, the majority of it takes place in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:15 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,193,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That was the OP's first and only post.....I'm certainly not going to judge the population of Philly off that, or anything he said in the post.
Yes the legit Philly homers seem to have spawned a mutant anti-Philly species posing as Philly boosters. Quite humorous.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,667,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
1. There is a lot more than just good Italian food in Philly. Philly has one of the best restaurant and food scenes in the country, easily surpassing Boston and DC.

4. You continue to bypass one of the best urban experiences this country has to offer because of a few posters on an internet forum? Lol. Philadelphia is changing quickly. It's awesome to experience the change. Did you ever think Philadelphian's are maybe proud and happy to see their city changing positively and growing after so many years of decline?

5. Houston and Dallas more interesting then Philly? Bahaha. There's a lot more to Philadelphia than Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It's funny but these two things - along with Rocky - are usually the only things people know about Philadelphia who are not very familiar at all with the city. Pick up a US history book mang, the majority of it takes place in Philadelphia.
You're basing this on?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,832,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're basing this on?
Probably just a matter of opinion. I've spent significant time in Boston and DC and think Philly easily has the best food of the three. There's definitely great eats in Boston/DC though.

I'm not a fan of this HuffPo piece the OP is referencing though-the authors seem out of touch.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-02-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're basing this on?
Experience.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,708,385 times
Quote:
Experience.
Basically an opinion though.... Which is not a fact. Although you're claiming it to be a fact..... Yet again I agree Philly has the best out of the three. Boston coming at a really close second.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
"You'll even learn about the original hipster, Benjamin Franklin, and his Electric Turkey Experiment."

That is top shelf LOL right there.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,257,684 times
I can see it .

Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,003,685 times
Quote:

I would suggest that your last sentence in item #3 sums it up. It's nothing more than that. To have been bypassed/ignored/insulted/etc. for years, sometimes deserving, but many times not, and then to finally achieve some recognition, is not a bad thing, and people from Philadelphia should not be ashamed to be proud. To be upset or to demean Philadelphia as a result of this recognition seems like sour grapes to me.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,003,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Either way, you don't see them doing this, and as a native Bostonian and current Washingtonian, the last thing I'd call my present hometown is hip.
Why not? It is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City