U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM

27,640 posts, read 24,880,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
LOL. Perfect description. And Philly certainly is not short on gentrification, either: Insane Surge in Philadelphia Gentrification - Citified

As you note, though, I don't think any other city simultaneously melds the strong influences of post-industrialism and "hipsterism" like Philly.
South Philadelphia is probably one of the more interesting gentrification examples. It's like Ashton Kutcher, Paulie Walnuts and Elijah Muhammad all mixed together topped by a thick layer of Asia and Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:58 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,175,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I never claimed to be an "expert." I just said I wasn't aware hipsters set any trends. As for the hipsters in Pittsburgh, what are they doing so different from the hipsters and hipster wannabes everywhere else to merit any type of distinction?
For the 2nd time, I referred to Pitt because you (and every other regular here) remembers the spate of "Pitt is the new hipster haven" threads, based on a bunch of clickbait articles, that were all over C-D some time back. Neither Pitt nor Philly are top magnets for young people with cutting edge ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You seem to know very little, if nothing, of Philadelphia. Do us a favor. Visit Pittsburgh and visit Philadelphia and you tell us which one is more hip. Last time I check Pittsburgh was losing population. Philly blue collar? Hahaha what an outdated stereotype. Pittsburgh is far more blue-collar than Philadelphia. Take a look around Philly at all the gleaming new highrises and multi-million dollar townhomes and tell me the same thing. Your view of Philly is outdated and you're making yourself look like an idiot.
I was in a band for 4 years with a couple dudes who had just moved to Milwaukee from Philly. They were Philly natives. I've spent more time hearing about, talking about, looking at pictures of, talking to Philly pals of theirs, going to Philly (to play shows, eat, hang, etc.), than anyone who doesn't live there should be subjected to. This began 5 years ago, and ended last year. Is that not up-to-date enough for you? One is still here (and I still hear), the other went back to Philly and we talk quite often. His ex-girlfriend moved there and they promptly broke up; I get Philly vs home reports from her quite a bit. I have many other friends in the area. I do, in fact, have a finger on the pulse of what's going on in the city in terms of underground arts. I've booked galleries, clubs, bands, artists, and so on for decades all over North America, Australia and Europe. Philly is not a hip place to move for young creatives, though the cost and the amenities make it an underrated spot they should consider.

At no point have I bashed Philly - I like it. But it's not a hip place.

And yes, some regions/cities are more creative than others. How could you even believe that all are equal? Is Oklahoma City just as cutting edge and creative in terms of music as Detroit? Hell no. Never has been. Does Topeka have a better cutting edge visual arts scene than LA? Seriously? Sorry, but this sort of thing is nowhere near subjective.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For the 2nd time, I referred to Pitt because you (and every other regular here) remembers the spate of "Pitt is the new hipster haven" threads, based on a bunch of clickbait articles, that were all over C-D some time back. Neither Pitt nor Philly are top magnets for young people with cutting edge ideas.
Actually, I don't remember any threads about Pittsburgh. I don't pay much attention to Pittsburgh on C-D. It's a fine city and all, though.

And I don't know what you mean by "cutting edge ideas." Philly isn't a magnet for young people the way DC is, for example, but I don't think DC is really known for "cutting edge" ideas. Neither is Boston unless you're talking about science-related endeavors. If I'm wrong, what cutting edge ideas are either of those cities known for?

The only places that are really magnets for "creative" young types--meaning these people will have actual jobs in industries like music, fashion, writing, etc. rather than side hobbies or merely running a cool bar--are NYC and Los Angeles. That's not to say, however, that the so-called "creative" scene is the same in all cities across the U.S.

Quote:
Philly is not a hip place to move for young creatives, though the cost and the amenities make it an underrated spot they should consider.
Other than Brooklyn, what are these "hip" places?

Quote:
At no point have I bashed Philly - I like it. But it's not a hip place.
OK

Old 06-03-2015, 03:19 PM

233 posts, read 232,110 times
Quote:
Other than Brooklyn, what are these "hip" places?
Stereotypically, Portland I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So is it still cool to call Philly underrated since it's actually growing at a decent rate again?
Keep in mind that A significant part of this growth stems from Latino/Asian immigrants and their kids (iirc these where the only racial/ethnic groups to grow in the city between 2000-2010), rather than the stereotypical hip young millennials.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
And yes, some regions/cities are more creative than others. How could you even believe that all are equal? Is Oklahoma City just as cutting edge and creative in terms of music as Detroit? Hell no. Never has been. Does Topeka have a better cutting edge visual arts scene than LA? Seriously? Sorry, but this sort of thing is nowhere near subjective.
I don't think anyone's arguing that Philly is on NYC's level here. But you've already expressed your opinion that Pittsburgh is a more "hip" city than Philadelphia based on your opinion and articles you say exist somewhere in cyberspace. That's what people are taking issue with.

For a city with so little creative energy, it sure as hell produces a lot of musicians. The city was Ground Zero of the Neo-Soul movement.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Of course, young people don't move to Philadelphia with "cutting edge ideas."

Quote:
With Ambrosius as the songstress and Stewart as the "floacist," the duo left London to pursue its musical future stateside. After playing a couple of Atlanta dates, Floetry landed in the neo-soul melting pot that is Philadelphia when a promoter called them to do a show.

"We were drawn to Philly," Ambrosius says. "We didn't know a soul there, but based on one phone call we decided to move. From doing the Black Lily [local club] shows, we met the Roots, Jill Scott, Musiq -- we just fell in the deep end of that whole Philadelphia movement. We then developed a relationship with the producers from [production company] A Touch of Jazz, who had seen me at [Philadelphia's] the Five Spot."
https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...n-philly-scene

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 7,208,852 times
Quote:
I do, in fact, have a finger on the pulse of what's going on in the city in terms of underground arts. I've booked galleries, clubs, bands, artists, and so on for decades all over North America, Australia and Europe. Philly is not a hip place to move for young creatives, though the cost and the amenities make it an underrated spot they should consider.
I think the crux of the issue is that terms like "creative" and "trend-setting" have become such a buzz terms, that they've lost much of their meaning.

In the true sense of the word, though, I think you'll find authentically creative people in large cities across the US, and this is particularly true in cities that have a history of an arts community. Philly is no exception. Despite the anecdotes you've been exposed to from people with ties to the city, that really doesn't replace intimate, first-hand experience.

This notion that cities like Austin, Brooklyn or Portland have a monopoly on creatively-minded young people is long-past cliche.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Philly is no competition for Pittsburgh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxoKhJ4RYgI

Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,175,927 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone's arguing that Philly is on NYC's level here. But you've already expressed your opinion that Pittsburgh is a more "hip" city than Philadelphia based on your opinion and articles you say exist somewhere in cyberspace. That's what people are taking issue with.

For a city with so little creative energy, it sure as hell produces a lot of musicians. The city was Ground Zero of the Neo-Soul movement.
No, YOU post stats and try to make arguments based on what you've read, rather than what you've experienced. The evidence is everywhere. In my personal experience, based on decades of working with underground artists and musicians, neither Philly nor Pitt are considered hip places to move, nor have they ever been during that time, really. However, Pitt has slightly more, and I mean slightly, cachet currently in that area. I mentioned those articles because they used to absolutely clog up the board at one point - I can't believe you don't remember, but whatever.

Neo-soul is a relic from the 90s, at least the way you're alluding to it. That's around 20 years ago. Philly is a large US city, and it contributes and has contributed a good bit. But I am struggling to think of much that's existed head-and-shoulders above anywhere else from the past couple decades.

Brooklyn (moreso Queens now), Portland, Austin, Seattle, Bay Area, Chicago, and down the list a bit Boston, Twin Cities, etc., these are typical hip targets for creative types. Whether they are "correct" in that more is happening in these places, well, that's a different story. But per-cap, because some are way greater in population than others, this type of person is looking at cities like those before Philly.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM

12,999 posts, read 17,164,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So is it still cool to call Philly underrated since it's actually growing at a decent rate again?
Yes. The way people talk about it here, you'd think it was still losing population. In fact, when discussing to what degree Philadelphia is underrated, it's recommended to include an emphatic adverb, including, but not limited to, extremely, grossly, sorely, severely, criminally, heinously, ridiculously or incredibly. Negatory adverbs are unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City