Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times

Advertisements

It's doing much better than cities like Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're basing this on?
Last time I had boston food it was incredibly good. I recently had DC food though and some of it straight up insulted what would be served in philly, and we went out of the way to get good food.

Last edited by MikeNigh; 06-03-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Basically an opinion though.... Which is not a fact. Although you're claiming it to be a fact..... Yet again I agree Philly has the best out of the three. Boston coming at a really close second.
How many of us has hit enough restaurants in each city to really make this determination though? All I know is that whenever I am in Philly I eat really good, but have had some major misses. I live in Cambridge, so the Boston area food scene is my comfort zone and there are some really good things to eat here. DC seems to be getting better as well. Other than Boston, DC is the city I spend the most time eating in, maybe tied with NYC.

If I was to make a list of my favorite places in Philly, chances are it would be severely limited compared to you guys. Similarly if you did the same with Boston.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Why not? It is.
Nah, even Pitt on the other side of the state is considered more hip than Philly. Not bashing it, I like the town for a lot of reasons, one of which is that you can't be as much of a trust fund crybaby there vs Austin, Brooklyn (now Queens), Portland, etc. It's a big, historic, gritty blue collar town. It's not a trend-setting hipster arts mecca, however, not even close.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:58 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Nah, even Pitt on the other side of the state is considered more hip than Philly. Not bashing it, I like the town for a lot of reasons, one of which is that you can't be as much of a trust fund crybaby there vs Austin, Brooklyn (now Queens), Portland, etc. It's a big, historic, gritty blue collar town. It's not a trend-setting hipster arts mecca, however, not even close.
It's not really about being "trend-setting," though.

Philly has an understated (outside of the promotion that does, admittedly, come off a bit too strong on city-data) uniqueness and creative vibe. It has growing appeal among "hipster" types due to this uniqueness and, as you note, (relative) affordability.

Again, not making any claims about being a "mecca," as that's a bit pretentious for even Brooklyn to claim, but in terms of large, urban cities with a critical mass of an arts community, Philly is absolutely within that cadre.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-03-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Actually, Philly is very much an arts mecca-from the street murals to the museums. Very few cities have as much art ingrained throughout. Philly is seen as cooler than Pittsburgh to me, but of course it depends on a person's circle.

Agreed on the trust fund crybaby thing, and the "realness" and lack of pretension here seems to be a draw as of late, which unfortunately could spoil it.

And just to mention again, I am really not a fan of this article in the OP. I know Philly has a lot of catching up to do compared to other cities as far as marketing itself and creating a brand-but I don't really see the need to at this point. Maybe it worked for other cities, but it doesn't feel right to me as I love the modest almost self-deprecating Philly with evident Quaker roots.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-03-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I agree that Philly is a good art town, bolstered by some fine arts colleges. It's not really renowned by cutting edge sorts, though. It's not a place hipsters are moving in droves. I'm not cutting down Philly at all, just don't think it's in any way a hipster mecca like some are pretending.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
I wasn't aware Pittsburgh was a place hipsters were moving to in droves. I also wasn't aware hipsters set any trends.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:52 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually, Philly is very much an arts mecca-from the street murals to the museums. Very few cities have as much art ingrained throughout. Philly is seen as cooler than Pittsburgh to me, but of course it depends on a person's circle.
This, pretty much. I think of Philadelphia as having a blue-collar character but I also think of its creative energy. You've got Rocky and the Roots. It's not one or the other.

When people say "creative," though, I think they mean places where you can get artisinal mayonnaise and stuff like that. Basically enclaves of upper middle-class, college educated gentrifiers who run around pretending to be photographers. There's also a lot of that in Philadelphia, soooooooo....

Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wasn't aware Pittsburgh was a place hipsters were moving to in droves. I also wasn't aware hipsters set any trends.
Well, you're being disingenuous, then, considering one of the more ubiquitous posts around here not long ago sprouted from all the articles stating that Pill was now a "hipster hotspot." I also agree that it's not that, however, it's moreso than Philly. Thought long-time posters would understand why I'd make that statement.

And yes, cutting edge folks are generally lumped in with "hipsters" because they tend to dress differently than the mainstream. I personally don't even believe there's such a thing as "hipsters," considering that here and many other places I've made a simple request - define "hipster" like any other word in the dictionary, briefly and comprehensively. Generally, this leads to many-paragraph essays, pictures, graphs, etc., and it boils down to "people younger than me who are into stuff I don't understand and it makes me uncomfortable." Regardless, people who set trends are going to be spotted by suburbanites or whomever (urban squares also qualify) and called "hipsters" in the same way as some dude who wants to dress "like the '20s cuz it's rad." Where would be your expert disctinction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City