Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

Move over New York, San Francisco and Boston. Philadelphia is experiencing an influx of residents who are attracted to the City of Brotherly Love's unexpected hip vibe. Here's why:
The New York Times loves us.

In fact they selected Philly as No. 3 among its must see destinations in the world for 2015. That's not surprising considering that so many people commute to New York from Philly. It's considered the Big Apple's sixth borough.
And Fast Company showed the love too

In December, Fast Company included Philadelphia among its top 20 most livable cities in the world for work and play balance. Okay, so it slid in at No. 20 but this included the likes of Paris, Singapore and Sydney. That's some pretty good company.
Even rubber duckies love Philly

A six-foot tall rubber duck, billed as the world's largest, will be floating on the waterfront for the Philadelphia Camden Tall Ships Festival in June.
Leave the gun, take the cannolis

Forget trendy cupcakes and cake pops. Head to Isgro Pasticceria at 1009 Christian Street in South Philly where they've been serving up Italian sweets for over 100 years. And definitely don't leave the cannolis in the car.
Stroll the Philadelphia Liberty Trail

Its newest attraction, the Philadelphia Liberty Trail, is the City of Brotherly Love's answer to Boston's Freedom Trail. Since Philadelphia has way more historic sights than Beantown, this 4-mile walking path through the historic district immerses visitors in the founding of America right where it happened. You'll even learn about the original hipster, Benjamin Franklin, and his Electric Turkey Experiment. (Which would also be a great band name. You may use it.) The corresponding book was called by the Philadelphia Inquirer "a must read for Philadelphia visitors and natives alike."
The votes are in

The Democratic National Committee selected Philadelphia to host its 2016 nominating convention for president. In a bipartisan show of support, the city also successfully hosted the Republican Convention in 2000.
More than half-baked

High Street on Market was chosen by Travel + Leisure as America's best new restaurant for 2015. In our opinion, the baked goods are worth a visit all by themselves.
Over the boardwalk
Photo courtesy Schuylkill River Development Corporation
The Schuylkill Banks Boardwalk on Center City's western edge extends out over the river and provides a 15-foot-wide path for strollers, joggers and bikers. Solar-powered lights illuminate it at night.
Homer Simpson would approve

We've traveled to six continents seeking the world's best doughnuts and it turns out they were right here in our backyard. Frangelli's Bakery at 847 West Ritner Street in South Philly hand pumps the jelly and custard donuts to order. They don't get fresher than that.
Even the Pope loves Philly

You don't normally associate Popes with hipness but the current Pope Francis and his "Popestar" status may change all that. More than a million people are expected to turn out to see him in late September in Philadelphia.
Made in America

Jay Z picked Philadelphia to host his annual Made in America Festival. The concert takes place on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with the world-famous Rocky Steps as a backdrop. Past headliners have included Pearl Jam, Beyonce and Iggy Azalea.
Pop-up parks are, well, popping up all over
Photo credit Matt Stanley
Spruce Street Harbor Park has arrived on the Delaware River waterfront this summer. The pop-up park includes floating barges converted to restaurants, rent a kayak or sail a remote controlled sailboat, or just laze in a hammock and gaze at the stars.
Where Rocky still lives

The Rocky steps are the most visited movie sight on the planet. Practically 24/7 you'll find visitors from around the world emulating their hero, Rocky Balboa, running up the steps and then posing by the famous Rocky statue. Who knows, you might even meet Rocky there.
Ratings winner

Business Insider chose Philadelphia as the No. 1 most underrated city in America for 20-somethings to live in, noting its public transportation, ample parkland and high number of single people.
Hometown Roots
Photo courtesy Aaron Matthews via Wikimedia Commons
The Roots, Jimmy Fallon's house band on The Tonight Show, are from Philly and return every year for The Roots Picnic at Penn's Landing on the waterfront.
What kind of a crack is that?

It takes a lot of confidence for a city to offer something that's broken as one of its most visited tourist attractions. But there you have it with the famously cracked Liberty Bell, symbol of American freedom worldwide.
Kabletown from 30 Rock

People may not like their cable provider but local employer, cable giant Comcast, is building a vertical high-tech campus that will be the tallest building between New York and Atlanta and attract tech workers from around the world. And a big thank you to everyone who pays their Comcast bill on time. It's helping to pay for this nifty building in our hometown.
Alley cats

You can live on a street that is six-feet wide. Used as cartways in colonial times, these breezy little streets provide a quiet respite in the heart of the bustling city.
Not quite six feet under

For a taste of the avant-garde, the Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contemporary Art is a gallery and performance space located in a former mausoleum and tombstone salesroom that highlights underground, alternative and DIY culture and of course, the annual Eraserhead Festival. Check them out at 531 N 12th St.
For when you have pizza on the brain
Photo courtesy Vivian D. Nguyen
Pizza Brain houses the Guinness World Records certified largest collection of pizza memorabilia in its museum/pizzeria. The pizza is crazy good too. Find them at 2311-13 Frankford Avenue.
Going to prison on vacation

With the Gothic pile of stone also known as Eastern State Penitentiary beckoning, who can resist going to prison? Better yet, come in October to take part in the nation's scariest haunted house. The circa 1829 structure was once the most famous prison in the world and even housed the original Scarface, Al Capone.
Philadelphia is definitely the place to be this year, as it has been for over 300 years. What are some of your favorite places to visit?
21 Ways Philadelphia is the Coolest City in America*|*Larissa and Michael Milne
Hat tip to HuffPost for the shoutout to my hometown!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 PM

6,555 posts, read 6,610,230 times
You know, it's hard to imagine a New Yorker or San Franciscan coming here to brag about his city's "hip vibe". Excuse me, were it a San Franciscan, it would prefer to be referenced by a gender neutral pronoun. Either way, you don't see them doing this, and as a native Bostonian and current Washingtonian, the last thing I'd call my present hometown is hip.

I know you Philadelphians like to come here and write these books about how your city is big time. If it makes you feel better, great. But I was passing through your town recently on the Acela, and realized I hadn't actually gotten off in Philly in years. And quite honestly, the silly homerism here makes it seem less desirable. Houston and Dallas are larger metros, and would be far more interesting cities if they even had fake models of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Yet you don't see residents of those cities coming here and writing 18 paragraph posts about how great their cities are.

Yes, there's good Italian in Philly, same in NY, Chicago, Boston, etc..., yes there's history. But guess what, we know that, and it's not a hard city to get to. So why does Philly still need such heavy promotion?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,098,001 times
New sheriff in town, move over you guys.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:02 AM

282 posts, read 349,022 times
lol.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:44 AM

14,173 posts, read 22,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount Ave View Post
A six-foot tall rubber duck, billed as the world's largest, will be floating on the waterfront for the Philadelphia Camden Tall Ships Festival in June.
Pittsburgh hosted the duck in 2013.

(The picture has a Creative Commons license, so I'm free to post it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You know, it's hard to imagine a New Yorker or San Franciscan coming here to brag about his city's "hip vibe".
That's the whole point, genius. Take a look at his post count: ONE. It's a troll who's not even from Philadelphia, but masquerades as one before his bogus account gets nuked. The fact that you fall for it makes me wonder if you're even half as sophisticated as you fancy yourself.

Quote:
I know you Philadelphians like to come here and write these books about how your city is big time.
Quote:
Houston and Dallas are larger metros, and would be far more interesting cities if they even had fake models of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Yet you don't see residents of those cities coming here and writing 18 paragraph posts about how great their cities are.
Yeah, you don't get it.

Quote:
And quite honestly, the silly homerism here makes it seem less desirable.
And yet, I'm dying to visit all the cities you like...wait, no, I'm not.

Quote:
Yes, there's good Italian in Philly, same in NY, Chicago, Boston, etc..., yes there's history. But guess what, we know that, and it's not a hard city to get to. So why does Philly still need such heavy promotion?
Good question. I think I have the answer:

Quote:
...I was passing through your town recently on the Acela, and realized I hadn't actually gotten off in Philly in years.
Then again, you've already made up your mind, so you're correct that promoting Philadelphia is a pointless endeavor. Just stay on the train and pretend that nothing ever changes in cities you don't like.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,502,676 times
In the future, every city will be the hippest for 15 days.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,068,149 times
Quote:
Houston and Dallas...would be far more interesting cities if they even had fake models of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.
incorrect

Quote:
Yet you don't see residents of those cities coming here and writing 18 paragraph posts about how great their cities are.
very incorrect

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,697,981 times
Quote:
You know, it's hard to imagine a New Yorker or San Franciscan coming here to brag about his city's "hip vibe". Excuse me, were it a San Franciscan, it would prefer to be referenced by a gender neutral pronoun. Either way, you don't see them doing this, and as a native Bostonian and current Washingtonian, the last thing I'd call my present hometown is hip.

I know you Philadelphians like to come here and write these books about how your city is big time. If it makes you feel better, great. But I was passing through your town recently on the Acela, and realized I hadn't actually gotten off in Philly in years. And quite honestly, the silly homerism here makes it seem less desirable. Houston and Dallas are larger metros, and would be far more interesting cities if they even had fake models of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Yet you don't see residents of those cities coming here and writing 18 paragraph posts about how great their cities are.

Chances are that "post" is not from someone actually living in Philadelphia. One of those "Philadelphians", who has written previous "run on" posts like that one, lives in San Jose, CA.

Their point is to create reactions like yours. Sigh.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,631,883 times
Philly is the 6th borough of NYC kinda irks me.

Also - fact check Huffington Post. Comcast Innovation and Technology Center will be the tallest building in the US outside of NYC and Chicago, not between NYC and Atlanta.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,095,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Chances are that "post" is not from someone actually living in Philadelphia. One of those "Philadelphians", who has written previous "run on" posts like that one, lives in San Jose, CA.

Their point is to create reactions like yours. Sigh.
That was the OP's first and only post.....I'm certainly not going to judge the population of Philly off that, or anything he said in the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City