U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM

273 posts, read 249,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Why don't you look at the amount of foreign born Hispanics in each state. Just from my travels I can tell you that number is low in New Mexico. Most hispanics in New Mexico have been in the state for generations and have no ties to Mexico. In fact, they get angry if you call them "Mexican." Arizona probably has the most, Texas in the middle.
You are spot on about New Mexico, no argument there. I'm not so sure about Texas though; Texas has a pretty large population of illegal and first-generation Mexicans. It would be interesting to see some stats on this. Texas also has far more border crossings than Arizona which means there are far more people coming in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
It kind of depends where in Mexico. A lot of the sophisticated elites and highly educated professionals on the West Coast flock down to Cabo San Lucas on a regular basis. Only 36% of Americans have passports, so those people going down to the Bahamas or Cancun are probably more sophisticated than the 64% of Americans who don't have a passport, relatively speaking.
The point is that having a passport does not automatically make you sophisticated nor mean you have a lot of money, and just because you have money doesn't mean you're also automatically sophisticated. It completely depends on where you go with it. Without a doubt, the biggest destination in Mexico for Americans who want to party is Cancun. Seriously, go down there. You think even a majority of those people are sophisticated or have money? Not the case. I could point to the same thing as some Caribbean locations like the Bahamas in the main tourist areas.

I'm looking at flights right now from Chicago to Cancun. It's only $400 and I'd bet it's similar in many other cities. I went to San Juan a few weeks ago for $450 round trip from NYC and booked my flight only 2 weeks prior. You don't have to have money to do that. You can get more expensive domestic flights alone.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-07-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,159,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
How is it checking for ID when entering a foreign country "treating human beings like cattle"?

If you really think this, move to Libya or Somalia. Neither country has a functioning central govt., so you will be assured that there will never be border controls. Besides that, you're going to have to deal with countries actually exercising their right to control their borders, so too bad for you.
So...as long as we're better than totalitarian regimes with the worst human rights records in the world, all is great? Excellent point!

I think it's a valid thought, it's quite obvious for anyone who's ever travelled outside the US why it is similar to "treating human beings like cattle," but a cheap-o passport just isn't much of a hassle, even for the tinfoil hat crowd.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:18 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times
The amount of idiocy from some posters on the topic of anything Arizona-related just makes my blood boil. I wish people spent half the time actually researching things about Arizona instead of putting forth such strong, relentless efforts to discount anything positive about Arizona while attempting to make the state look bad on all accounts. I don't care if people do not like Arizona, but some of you really need to stop trying so hard to push your faulty assumptions and start offering something a little more significant and substantiated.

In any case, this thread is about passports issued as a percentage of each state's 2014 population. Arizona leads this. What does that mean? That there is perhaps a chance that many Arizonans do some traveling outside of the country. Many Arizonans that I know DO like to travel and I am including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or