Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 AM

273 posts, read 349,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It probably has more to do with the fact that it's a border state, and a state with a huge Mexican population, with family in Mexico. Just sayin.
Interesting theory but that doesn't fully explain why Arizona is the passport leader when you look at the numbers. According to the latest estimates, New Mexico's Hispanic population sits at 47%, Texas 38.2%, and Arizona is only 30.2% Hispanic. When you look at the passport leaderboard, Arizona is number one, Texas is ranked 21 and New Mexico is near the bottom, at a rather embarrassing 39th place.

People that are well traveled generally are more educated and have higher incomes. My theory is that Arizona is a bit more sophisticated and affluent then it's given credit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
You don't need an "arbitrary ID to leave the country". You can walk right over from El Paso To Juarez, no passport needed. Many countries don't care.

You will need a passport to enter the U.S., however. Are you seriously asking why the U.S. would have the right to check who is entering their country?
I find it rather disturbing when human beings are treated like cattle. If you don't pay the government $40 for a passport you're essentially a prisoner in your own country, that's not only inhumane but it's also a clear violation of article 13 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Old 06-07-2015, 01:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Interesting theory but that doesn't fully explain why Arizona is the passport leader when you look at the numbers. According to the latest estimates, New Mexico's Hispanic population sits at 47%, Texas 38.2%, and Arizona is only 30.2% Hispanic. When you look at the passport leaderboard, Arizona is number one, Texas is ranked 21 and New Mexico is near the bottom, at a rather embarrassing 39th place.

People that are well traveled generally are more educated and have higher incomes. My theory is that Arizona is a bit more sophisticated and affluent then it's given credit for.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, because it doesn't really make sense. The vast majority of Texas is nowhere near the border. The relative % of Hispanics in New Mexico has zero to do with the question; why would Hispanics be more likely to have a passport?

The issue is that Arizona has a huge Mexican immigrant population that travels across the border; and New Mexico, on a relative basis, doesn't. Just because someone in New Mexico is of Hispanic heritage doesn't mean they're traveling to Mexico. New Mexico has been heavily Hispanic since forever, and is not an immigration gateway state; Arizona is.

And we already have Census data on education and incomes. Arizona isn't particularly highly educated, nor does it have a particularly high median income.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
I find it rather disturbing when human beings are treated like cattle. If you don't pay the government $40 for a passport you're essentially a prisoner in your own country, that's not only inhumane but it's also a clear violation of article 13 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights
How is it checking for ID when entering a foreign country "treating human beings like cattle"?

If you really think this, move to Libya or Somalia. Neither country has a functioning central govt., so you will be assured that there will never be border controls. Besides that, you're going to have to deal with countries actually exercising their right to control their borders, so too bad for you.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, because it doesn't really make sense. The vast majority of Texas is nowhere near the border. The relative % of Hispanics in New Mexico has zero to do with the question; why would Hispanics be more likely to have a passport?

The issue is that Arizona has a huge Mexican immigrant population that travels across the border; and New Mexico, on a relative basis, doesn't. Just because someone in New Mexico is of Hispanic heritage doesn't mean they're traveling to Mexico. New Mexico has been heavily Hispanic since forever, and is not an immigration gateway state; Arizona is.

And we already have Census data on education and incomes. Arizona isn't particularly highly educated, nor does it have a particularly high median income.
Dude just stop, I blew a massive hole in your theory and now you're sounding foolish. The Texas-Mexico border is 1254 miles vs 389 miles for the Arizona-Mexico border. If you think the vast majority of Texas is nowhere near the border you need to go back to your fourth grade geography class.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that AZ has SB 1070 and people who have family members who are illegals need passports to travel quickly once they are deported. I doubt they are as sophisticated as you believe.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:

Traveling to Mexico - you don't need a lot of money to do that, even from the north in places like Chicago, NYC, etc where flights down there are still cheap. Everybody I know who is not sophisticated and doesn't have money travels to Mexico on their international vacations. It's a hell of a lot cheaper from the US as well than going to Europe where the food and lodging is much more expensive.

So in essence, I don't agree with your statements at all. Go to Cancun (or the tourist areas of the Bahamas) and report back to me on how sophisticated you think everyone is after that. Everyone and their mom in the US who can't afford to go to Europe or Asia defaults to Mexico (specifically Cancun).

Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Interesting theory but that doesn't fully explain why Arizona is the passport leader when you look at the numbers. According to the latest estimates, New Mexico's Hispanic population sits at 47%, Texas 38.2%, and Arizona is only 30.2% Hispanic.
Why don't you look at the amount of foreign born Hispanics in each state. Just from my travels I can tell you that number is low in New Mexico. Most hispanics in New Mexico have been in the state for generations and have no ties to Mexico. In fact, they get angry if you call them "Mexican." Arizona probably has the most, Texas in the middle.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that AZ has SB 1070 and people who have family members who are illegals need passports to travel quickly once they are deported. I doubt they are as sophisticated as you believe.
Didn't The Supreme Court strike down the bulk of SB 1070

Old 06-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Traveling to Mexico - you don't need a lot of money to do that, even from the north in places like Chicago, NYC, etc where flights down there are still cheap. Everybody I know who is not sophisticated and doesn't have money travels to Mexico on their international vacations. It's a hell of a lot cheaper from the US as well than going to Europe where the food and lodging is much more expensive.

So in essence, I don't agree with your statements at all. Go to Cancun (or the tourist areas of the Bahamas) and report back to me on how sophisticated you think everyone is after that. Everyone and their mom in the US who can't afford to go to Europe or Asia defaults to Mexico (specifically Cancun).
It kind of depends where in Mexico. A lot of the sophisticated elites and highly educated professionals on the West Coast flock down to Cabo San Lucas on a regular basis. Only 36% of Americans have passports, so those people going down to the Bahamas or Cancun are probably more sophisticated than the 64% of Americans who don't have a passport, relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City