Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then it's a stupid metric, because cost of living is strictly based on desirability.

The survey is basically saying an area is more desirable because people find it less desirable, which makes no sense.

Just because other people find Detroit undesirable, so the real estate is dirt cheap, why would it make Detroit more desirable for me? Why would I want a home with plummeting property values? Just so I could brag that I bought my house cheap?
You know better than this, it's based on MSA. SE Michigan does not have plummeting property values and you know it. Why you are taking the city of Detroit to make you're point when you know it's based on the region is beyond me. Even with your snark I can usually agree on your points of view, but you're being intellectually dishonest here.

It's always worth noting that you're are former metro Detroiter so that may have something to do with your attitude toward it.

Last edited by mjlo; 06-02-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
It's nice to see Birmingham in blue.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh, for example, has the worst population loss of any metro in the U.S., and pretty mediocre wages and limited white collar job market, yet is ranked first in the Northeast. NYC, which probably has more high wage jobs than any metro on the planet, and has very robust high wage jobs growth, is ranked last in the Northeast. Huh?
This is pretty easy to explain. They are measuring percentage of job growth in the major fields for that metro. NYC will have VERY low percentages, because the number of jobs that already exists is huge. You'd probably have to move all bank back office workers from the rest of the US and Canada into NYC to see large % growth in employment...A relatively tiny metro like Pittsburgh can create 5-10k jobs a year that pay 70k and they are good.

Same thing with population growth, once you reach a certain size, you can't grow that fast % wise.

Last edited by Gantz; 06-02-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Obviously the study is bogus.....given that the Twin Cities is not ranked ahead of Detroit.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:35 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Then it's a stupid metric, because cost of living is strictly based on desirability.

The survey is basically saying an area is more desirable because people find it less desirable, which makes no sense.

Just because other people find Detroit undesirable, so the real estate is dirt cheap, why would it make Detroit more desirable for me? Why would I want a home with plummeting property values? Just so I could brag that I bought my house cheap?
It all depends on where the city was starting from as well. Detroit has been doing very well in job creation lately, and good jobs, but obviously it had fallen further than others. So even though it's shining, it has a lot further to go to get to the levels of other cities.

Chicago is kinda in the same boat to a degree as far as jobs.

Jobs gained since hitting bottom in 2009-2011 (states had the smoothed numbers, but most of the jobs in the state are in the two largest metros, Detroit and Chicago, althogh Chicago's % is higher than Detroits for overall jobs in the metro):

Michigan: +310,144
Illinois: +264,202

Adult population change during that period:

Michigan: +78,400
Illinois: -71,855

There was a net increase of 231,744 in Michigan and 336,057 in Illinois. That would explain how the unemployment rate is dropping, especially in Michigan.

Michigan Unemployment:
High: 14.9%
Today: 5.4%

Illinois Unemployment:
High: 11.2%
Today: 6.0%

Old 06-02-2015, 11:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Here is the full study, which uses the top 150 metros: Press Room | The Labor Market 150 Index, presented by CareerBuilder & EMSI

Another thing to consider is when an area entered into the recession, as different areas entered it at different times.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Y Just because an area has high-demand, that does not necessarily mean that people "desire" to live there.
To me, that's exactly what it means.

To say an area is more desirable because it's cheaper is to miss the whole point. If it's cheaper, then it isn't more desirable.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You know better than this, it's based on MSA. SE Michigan does not have plummeting property values and you know it. Why you are taking the city of Detroit to make you're point when you know it's based on the region is beyond me. Even with your snark I can usually agree on your points of view, but you're being intellectually dishonest here.
I know it's based on MSA. Metro Detroit, as a whole, is dirt-cheap, and has lower property values than 10 years ago. It's an undesirable metro by almost any relative measure.

Any study that claims that Detroit has the best job market in the Midwest is, on its face, ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Costs of living aren't strictly based on desirability. Governmental policy & regulation, supply vs. demand, geographic constraints and other factors influence costs of living as well.

Desirability is a much come subjective concept that, while certainly a contributor to costs of living, isn't strictly the only thing.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Houston is losing jobs at a net loss now so this probably isn't accurate anymore.

Source: http://www.tracer2.com/admin/uploade...houstonmsa.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City