U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 PM

181 posts, read 230,299 times

Advertisements

With Sepp Blatter's recent resignation it's becoming more and more likely that Qatar will lose their bid to host the World Cup in 2022. The US would be the favorite to replace Qatar as host if that were to happen. The US last hosted in 1994 and at that time we still had the ugly mutlipurpose stadiums form the 70's to contend with. Also, not every city had a venue large enough to host games so there had to be compromises( games were in Pontiac Michigan for crying out loud). Today it's completely different. Almost every major city has a modern stadium that is capable of hosting games.

I think if we got the bid, we would host the games in multiple cities just like last time. With a few execptions, I think that the games will be hosted in different cities than last time. Urban stadiums will be preferred to suburban ones. Cities with an established international community will also be preferred. Nine cities hosted the world cup in 1994. Which ones do you think would host this time.

Here are my picks..

1. Seattle
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Minneapolis
5. Chicago
6. Atlanta
7. Houston
8. Miami
9. New York

Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,480,468 times
The picks should be somewhere with a culture that appreciates soccer/football. Out of those are Los Angeles (Mexican), and maybe NYC (high European population). Miami (South American), Houston (Mexican and Central American) can be other interesting choices.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 PM

44,585 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
With Sepp Blatter's recent resignation it's becoming more and more likely that Qatar will lose their bid to host the World Cup in 2022. The US would be the favorite to replace Qatar as host if that were to happen. The US last hosted in 1994 and at that time we still had the ugly mutlipurpose stadiums form the 70's to contend with. Also, not every city had a venue large enough to host games so there had to be compromises( games were in Pontiac Michigan for crying out loud). Today it's completely different. Almost every major city has a modern stadium that is capable of hosting games.

I think if we got the bid, we would host the games in multiple cities just like last time. With a few execptions, I think that the games will be hosted in different cities than last time. Urban stadiums will be preferred to suburban ones. Cities with an established international community will also be preferred. Nine cities hosted the world cup in 1994. Which ones do you think would host this time.

Here are my picks..

1. Seattle
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Minneapolis
5. Chicago
6. Atlanta
7. Houston
8. Miami
9. New York
Can't argue with those choices, except San Francisco. 3Com Stadium was torn down, so the 49ers will be moving elsewhere. I think San Jose would be a better choices.

I would add:
-New Orleans
-Denver
-Portland
-San Diego
-Philadelphia

Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 PM

44,585 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The picks should be somewhere with a culture that appreciates soccer/football. Out of those are Los Angeles (Mexican), and maybe NYC (high European population). Miami (South American), Houston (Mexican and Central American) can be other interesting choices.
Atlanta will be getting an MLS team soon, so that would be another decent choice. Soccer culture is growing in Seattle and Portland. I would also look at Denver, San Jose, basically places where there are already MLS teams or will have MLS teams in the future.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 PM

559 posts, read 511,186 times
I could see them avoiding cities with intense summer temps (the south)
So replace Atlanta, Houston, Miami with San Diego, Portland, Boston, Philly, or Detroit

Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,102 times
The 49ers already moved..

Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,480,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I could see them avoiding cities with intense summer temps (the south)
So replace Atlanta, Houston, Miami with San Diego, Portland, Boston, Philly, or Detroit
They hosted the world cup in Brazil, and were going to do it in Qatar. Miami is in the high 80s in the summer, hardly intense.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Atlanta will be getting an MLS team soon, so that would be another decent choice. Soccer culture is growing in Seattle and Portland. I would also look at Denver, San Jose, basically places where there are already MLS teams or will have MLS teams in the future.
Seattle has had the highest MLS attendance every single year since 2009... I wouldn't say the soccer culture is "growing". That place has been nuts about soccer for a long time.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
They hosted the world cup in Brazil, and were going to do it in Qatar. Miami is in the high 80s in the summer, hardly intense.
Temps was one of the biggest complaints/confusions about Qatar. But yeah, 80's isn't bad. 90's and 100's are very difficult to play soccer in though.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

Anyway, the U.S. already has a list of stadiums that it submitted and were approved:
- Rose Bowl
- LA Coliseum
- Cotton Bowl
- Fedex Field
- Cowboys Stadium
- MetLife Stadium
- Sun Life Stadium
- Reliant Stadium
- Arrowhead Stadium
- INVESCO Field at Mile High
- Raymond James Stadium
- Gillette Stadium
- Husky Stadium
- University of Phoenix
- Georgia Dome
- M&T Bank Stadium
- Lincoln Financial Field
- LP Field
- CenturyLink Field
- Qualcomm Stadium
- Lucas Oil Stadium

Therefore, the host cities would be:
- LA (2 stadiums)
- Dallas (2)
- DC
- NYC
- Miami
- Houston
- KC
- Denver
- Tampa
- Boston
- Seattle (2)
- Phoenix
- Atlanta
- Baltimore
- Philly
- Nashville
- San Diego
- Indianapolis
Found this post from another thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City