Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Asheville, NC vs Boulder, CO
Asheville, NC 16 40.00%
Boulder, CO 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times

Advertisements

"suburb" just immediately brings with it a negative connotation (at least on CD). Boulder is, in pretty much every sense, a suburb of Denver. Or maybe you can call it a satellite city. Either way, it fits the definition. That said, it's a vastly different suburb than Duluth, GA, The Woodlands, TX, or Ballantyne in Charlotte; in that is seems to have much more a sense of place and isn't devoid of a soul like the latter three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
"suburb" just immediately brings with it a negative connotation (at least on CD). Boulder is, in pretty much every sense, a suburb of Denver. Or maybe you can call it a satellite city. Either way, it fits the definition. That said, it's a vastly different suburb than Duluth, GA, The Woodlands, TX, or Ballantyne in Charlotte; in that is seems to have much more a sense of place and isn't devoid of a soul like the latter three.
It has a larger downtown than the latter three, but I know that Duluth has a historic downtown area that definitely has a soul. I think what you're referring to as "not having a soul" are the vast suburban areas surrounding Duluth (and the others) that have a Duluth address only. Boulder has these too, but Boulder is much larger and has a much larger downtown.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:04 PM

370 posts, read 543,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It has a larger downtown than the latter three, but I know that Duluth has a historic downtown area that definitely has a soul. I think what you're referring to as "not having a soul" are the vast suburban areas surrounding Duluth (and the others) that have a Duluth address only. Boulder has these too, but Boulder is much larger and has a much larger downtown.
True. And Boulder does have it's own separate metro area. So that's certainly a feather in its cap.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
I actually the term "satellite city" is a better description of Boulder than is "suburb" so I definitely agree with Hogan on that point. I also agree that "suburb" brings negative thoughts here on CD. I personally have nothing against suburbs, as I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood right now. I just don't think it is an accurate description of Boulder. I do think Boulder is an integral part of the Denver area, but not a suburb. Aurora...now that's a suburb.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM

36 posts, read 50,037 times
Seems like Boulder would be pretty awful if you aren't in college. Living in a college town post college never appealed to me.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
How about the food and music scene?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I actually the term "satellite city" is a better description of Boulder than is "suburb" so I definitely agree with Hogan on that point. I also agree that "suburb" brings negative thoughts here on CD. I personally have nothing against suburbs, as I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood right now. I just don't think it is an accurate description of Boulder. I do think Boulder is an integral part of the Denver area, but not a suburb. Aurora...now that's a suburb.
Boulder didn't start out as a suburb, but it most certainly will end up as one. It's become so congested that IMO has lost it's charm and sense of peacefulness. Even the nearby trail systems are always swarming with people. Doesn't do any good to complain about it, but It's surprising how fast the change has happened.

I would love to have known Boulder in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City