Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Asheville, NC vs Boulder, CO
Asheville, NC 16 40.00%
Boulder, CO 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times

Advertisements

Both of these are two popular destinations that are somewhat similar. How do you think the two compare as far as:

nightlife
culture
shopping
dining
scenery
outdoor activities
crime rate
people
weather
quality of life
cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
nightlife: Boulder
culture: Boulder seems stronger
shopping: Boulder
dining: Can't say
scenery: Asheville
outdoor activities: Probably Asheville since it's right in the middle of the mountains
crime rate: No sure, but I'll guess Boulder is lower?
people: Not sure
weather: Boulder
quality of life: Tie
cost of living: Asheville

To be fair, i know a lot more about Boulder

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM

36 posts, read 50,033 times
I looked at going to Colorado-Boulder for graduate school and cost of living was crazy there, and that was 12 years ago. It is no doubt worse now. I would think COL is worse than Asheville.

They don't seem similar to me, Boulder the biggest university in the state, and it is a suburb of a big city with numerous white collar companies. Asheville is isolated and not many people in 20s-40's can get good jobs there outside of healthcare.

Scenery will depend on what you prefer, Rockies to Applachian. CO obviously has better snowskiing. If you hate humidity, then CO for weather. Asheville if like being within reasonable driving distance of the beach.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 PM

36 posts, read 50,033 times
I think Asheville may be more similar to Cheyenne.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:37 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
I graduated from the University of Colorado. Given a chance to go back to Boulder, I'd jump on it! It's not about college life. That place is just awesome all around. I did a lot of trail running and hiking in the mountains just west of town. Driving into town on 36 just after a snowfall...pure awesomeness.

This isn't a knock on Asheville, a place I've only passed through. I understand it's a nice place but don't know from personal experience. Still, I know what I love and would take Boulder over Asheville without a second's thought.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Asheville is a beautiful, historic city with loads of art deco architecture and a liberal vibe. Surrounded by outdoor activities and the gorgeous Biltmore Estate (#1 tourist destination in NC), Asheville's natural scenery can't be beat. It is also within a 3-hour drive of Atlanta, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham, Greenville, Columbia, Roanoke, etc. My vote is for Asheville.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Asheville is a beautiful, historic city with loads of art deco architecture and a liberal vibe. Surrounded by outdoor activities and the gorgeous Biltmore Estate (#1 tourist destination in NC), Asheville's natural scenery can't be beat. It is also within a 3-hour drive of Atlanta, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham, Greenville, Columbia, Roanoke, etc. My vote is for Asheville.
Asheville and Boulder aren't comparable in that Boulder is an elite suburb while Asheville is a core community. Asheville actually has the full spectrum of community. Boulder is basically upper middle class to wealthy and not much else.

Boulder obviously has all the benefits of Denver on it's front porch, the Rockies on it's back porch and a beautiful world class university in it's front room.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Asheville and Boulder aren't comparable in that Boulder is an elite suburb while Asheville is a core community. Asheville actually has the full spectrum of community. Boulder is basically upper middle class to wealthy and not much else.

Boulder obviously has all the benefits of Denver on it's front porch, the Rockies on it's back porch and a beautiful world class university in it's front room.
Have you ever been to Boulder? Your description would suggest not, or if you have, that your time there was limited. Boulder is not an "elite suburb." It is its own core community that grew up its own core community and only in recent years has it more or less become a part of the Denver area.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:05 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
Having been to both, I'd say this is a pretty close comparison. I like Asheville's downtown more, but Boulder has the better university. Mountains are interesting... Boulder has better mountains inside it (the Flatirons are iconic). Asheville arguably has better mountains within a close drive to it (the Black Mountains and Smokies beat the Front Range, for me), but Boulder has the core of the American Rockies within a couple hours drive, and lots of epic road trips throughout the region. Asheville is a day's drive from the coast. But... Boulder has quick access to Denver.

It's interesting, fairly close.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:32 AM

370 posts, read 543,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Have you ever been to Boulder? Your description would suggest not, or if you have, that your time there was limited. Boulder is not an "elite suburb." It is its own core community that grew up its own core community and only in recent years has it more or less become a part of the Denver area.
Have you looked at the price of homes in Boulder? Or even rent? It's definitely only for the elite, unless you are a student. Asheville by comparison is much more affordable and therefor able to represent a broader demographic. No knock on Boulder, it's an amazing place. But Asheville at least to me offers more of an actual community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City