U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Portland
Denver 30 57.69%
Portland 22 42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,176,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Criterias include but not limited to:

nightlife
culture
shopping
dining
scenery
outdoor activities
crime rate
economy
people
weather
quality of life
Portland
Denver
Don't care
Portland
Denver
Denver
Don't care
Don't care
Denver
Denver
same

Over all I take Denver, but my list is weighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 PM

104 posts, read 92,434 times
I think Portland has better overall dining and nightlife, and I like Portland's urban/pedestrian landscape in the Downtown and surrounding areas more than Denver. Even east of the river in Portland - where it's generally more suburban and single-family oriented - there are a number of pedestrian-oriented corridors that go for several miles, so walking and biking to amenities is pretty easy.

From an urban planning perspective, Portland's Downtown area wins handily. It has smaller blocks, bigger sidewalks, more narrow roadways, and a more consistent streetwall of pedestrian-friendly retail, restaurants, shops, etc. For an American city, it really is one of the best downtown areas for pedestrians. It's a great place to stroll around and stop off at a cafe, bar, bookstore, etc. It's also nice how Downtown flows directly into similarly pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods like Old Town, the Pearl District, Nob Hill, etc.

Denver's Downtown is nice, and it's taller with more of a big city feel, but overall it's not as pedestrian friendly, or as fun and funky as Portland's. The adjacent urban areas (Highland Park, North Capitol Hill, etc) don't flow as neatly into downtown. The outer suburban areas are generally more sprawly and less human-scale than Portland's outer suburban areas (although Denver does have more concentrated nodes of activity outside of the urban core).

Shopping, outdoor activities, and economy are better in Denver (although Portland is also great for outdoor activities). In general, aside from restaurants and bars (which are pretty much Portland's main thing), Denver has better overall big city amenities like shopping, sports, cultural institutions, etc. For all its urban planning virtues and seemingly endless plethora of restaurants and bars, Portland does begin to feel like a small town fairly quickly. Denver feels more dynamic and cosmopolitan in the true sense of the word.

The X factor for me, though, is the people. I like the mentality of the people in Denver more. I hate to generalize (but I will), and there are a lot of very good people in Portland, but there is a general smugness that I just don't care for there. People are friendly and actually fairly outgoing (moreso than Seattle and much of the Bay Area even), but there is a just a prevalent smug mentality - not just among the hipsters, but even the uneducated townies and rednecks.

There are a lot of interesting people and characters, for sure, but I get irritated with how not down-to-earth everything can feel at times. Denver has some of the same elements, but overall people are less smug and more down-to-earth from my experience.

Last edited by DANNNY__; 06-05-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:35 PM

696 posts, read 830,479 times
Denver is in a whole different league compared to Portland. Portland is still a baby compared to Denver.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,523,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
The X factor for me, though, is the people. I like the mentality of the people in Denver more. I hate to generalize (but I will), and there are a lot of very good people in Portland, but there is a general smugness that I just don't care for there. People are friendly and actually fairly outgoing (moreso than Seattle and much of the Bay Area even), but there is a just a prevalent smug mentality - not just among the hipsters, but even the uneducated townies and rednecks.

There are a lot of interesting people and characters, for sure, but I get irritated with how not down-to-earth everything can feel at times. Denver has some of the same elements, but overall people are less smug and more down-to-earth from my experience.
I think what annoys me about Portlanders is they act like the city is super progressive even though in many ways it's not. For example the lack of air conditioning and paved roads, and the fact the north/eastern half of the city looks like a complete dump while the inner part is like Disneyland for adults, a shocking amount of homelessness. Portland is also very anti-labor and has an underlying streak of rich white supremacy beneath the PC sheen. It's only left wing when it comes to gender, the environment and animals.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:09 PM

616 posts, read 481,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Denver is in a whole different league compared to Portland. Portland is still a baby compared to Denver.
For what?

seriously

Ever been to a REAL big city?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think what annoys me about Portlanders is they act like the city is super progressive even though in many ways it's not. For example the lack of air conditioning and paved roads, and the fact the north/eastern half of the city looks like a complete dump while the inner part is like Disneyland for adults, a shocking amount of homelessness. Portland is also very anti-labor and has an underlying streak of rich white supremacy beneath the PC sheen. It's only left wing when it comes to gender, the environment and animals.
If you think thats bad you should visit our nations capital

Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Portland
Denver
Don't care
Portland
Denver
Denver
Don't care
Don't care
Denver
Denver
same

Over all I take Denver, but my list is weighted.
wheres the beaches and rivers?

Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
For what?

seriously

Ever been to a REAL big city?
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM

309 posts, read 401,100 times
by the way, skiing and weed is not a factor for considering denver for me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City