U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think Chicago feels most like on the street level?
NYC 30 33.71%
Philadelphia 20 22.47%
San Francisco 10 11.24%
Washington DC 11 12.36%
Other 18 20.22%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,491,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is not true at all. I on purpose do not live with a car and am not a foreigner. Have many friends who are the same and there's many Americans in that group of my friends. There's also tons of non-foreigners in cities like NYC in the same boat. I do not think you really know what you're talking about.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2256568

Quote:
After all, this is a city where nearly 40% of the residents are foreign-born, over 60% speak a language other than English at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,319,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
In america urban living doesn't really begin to happen unless you are "forced" to be carless. Americans will always drive and live suburban like so long as they can.
In small older Row home towns or not. In America. You no longer have the Mill, Warehouse or manufacturing factory in neighborhoods with the homes around them. By me they built a Industrial Park on top of the mountain on Route 81 in PA all the towns are miles away larger small towns 12 miles and more. You can car pool of you drive yourself or another.

Small towns AT BEST have only buses for Seniors and handicapped and mentally challenged. As for Big cities. Not everyone is going to work in a office or retail, restaurant establishment downtown. Much warehousing /distribution to manufacturing moved to the suburbs. YOU ARE HARD PRESSED TO FIND BUSING/MASS TRANSIT TO THESE SPREAD OUT FACILITIES.

Reminds me of the time my Great Uncle worked for Lowry Organ manufacturing. He was Chicago born and bred and NEVER OWNED A CAR or had a license. He worked for the same plant most of his life. After moving as part of WHITE FLIGHT in the early 70s, from their pleasant 50s 2-flat they owned on the Southside of the city. They moved to a early 60s very nice typical Chicago mid-century bungalow/ranch home, on the Northwest side. He took 2 or 3 different buses to work still on Southside.

Then In the very early 80s they built a brand new facility in the Suburbs. He ended up taking 5 buses to work till he retired hid last few years.

Days of a life at one mill is over. Takeovers/mergers to hire/fire lower paying jobs give little stability. With no car you are limited, even in the Big city today. Most mass transit was built to get you downtown. Not to the mills or suburbs for work.

So yes.... you can still live with no car especially if you work in a cities Core. But in a ERA of changing jobs is common mostly NOT by choice. With no car you have limits.

Even those seeing jobs who must go to a Career-Link in PA for job services/seeking not all small towns have them. Many were consolidated to ONE PER COUNTY. My wife or I know a couple people in town. We end up Driving to many things they need to get State or County services done.

Just adding that BEING FORCED to NOT have a car is THE LUXURY TODAY. Almost as much as to have one is. Living WHERE YOU WORK is NOT A OPTION MANY TIMES especially for poorer lower wage Americans.

EMPLOYMENT FACILITIES DO NOT BUILD WHERE THE LOW WAGE WORKERS ARE. THOUGH THEY SURELY WANT SOME TO EMPLOY. SO inner cities continue to be areas of HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT AND WELFARE RECIPIANTS OF MULTIPLE GENERATIONS AS A SUB-CLASS, that to them becomes the norm. Not all of course......

Again Center City Philly or Chicago's Downtown living is for the Affluent and highly educated WHO HAVE THE LUXURY TO BE CAR-LESS with unlimited options nearby.

AT LEAST IN CHICAGO, HAVING A FULL ALLEYWAY SYSTEM AND BROADER STREETS, with GARAGES ARE MORE COMMON AND STREET PARKING IS LESS A HASSLE . Of course the densest parts of the city are more difficult for parking. Mass transit is still a great asset even with a car too.

But rest assured we do not need just Row Homes to be a more careless nation to be forced into. Areas of Chicago being rebuilt or infilled. Keep the SAME STREET GRID. They can still build 2-3 flats where single homes once were.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM

842 posts, read 1,407,949 times
How does Chicago at street-level compare to Mexico City at street-level?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,701,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
How does Chicago at street-level compare to Mexico City at street-level?
Not really similar. DF is more like a denser, more urban LA.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM

252 posts, read 195,766 times
To me the lively commerical streets in Chicago feel more like New York than any other city, just on a toned-down scale. Side streets have more of a Toronto feel, but if I had to pick an American city I suppose I'd say DC

Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
To me the lively commerical streets in Chicago feel more like New York than any other city, just on a toned-down scale. Side streets have more of a Toronto feel, but if I had to pick an American city I suppose I'd say DC
Commercial streets in Chicago feel much more like DC than like NYC. Compare, say, Connecticut Ave. or Wisconsin Ave. in DC to Clark or Broadway or Halstead in Chicago.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 AM

I know the Chicago streets aren't nearly as lively/busy as those in New York (and are probably closer to those in DC) but the feel of the North Side commercial streets in Chicago (at least Clark, Broadway, Lincoln, Halstead, Belmont, Devon) is very New York-esque to me for some reason, although I admit that statistically DC is probably a closer match

Old 06-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
I know the Chicago streets aren't nearly as lively/busy as those in New York (and are probably closer to those in DC) but the feel of the North Side commercial streets in Chicago (at least Clark, Broadway, Lincoln, Halstead, Belmont, Devon) is very New York-esque to me for some reason, although I admit that statistically DC is probably a closer match
To me, those streets look very similar to streets in NW DC.

I don't see a "New York-esque" feel, at all. Commercial streets in NYC are typically lined with tenement or mid-rise type structures, neither of which are really in evidence in Chicago. Also, the NYC commercial streets don't have the alley breaks and the curb cuts, for the most part.

What specifically reminds you of New York on those North Side corridors?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm not exactly sure but I think I'd say that they're some of the busiest and liveliest neighborhood commercial corridors (i.e. not including streets in the CBD) outside of NYC in the US, and so they make me feel like NY to some degree. I'm not talking about Manhattan, but neighborhood commercial streets in Brooklyn and Queens mostly. I think that's a decent comparison. Not so much structually as the people/vibrancy/feel

Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 PM

2,399 posts, read 1,230,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Commercial streets in Chicago feel much more like DC than like NYC. Compare, say, Connecticut Ave. or Wisconsin Ave. in DC to Clark or Broadway or Halstead in Chicago.
I can see the DC comparison in the outer neighborhoods (especially Lincoln Park), but on commercial streets downtown it feels more like New York to me, although obviously wider streets and much less foot traffic/density.

Even though the question is about at the level of the street, subconsciously, DC not having any skyscrapers and Chicago being full of skyscrapers brings that canyon feel to it (similar to NYC). If we're strictly paying attention to just the street level and not taking the skyscrapers (canyon feel) into consideration, then Chicago may have a more similar feel to DC, but it's hard for me to ignore the skyscrapers subconsciously, even when just looking at street level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or