Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has the best barbecue
Texas 18 22.78%
Memphis 35 44.30%
The Carolinas 9 11.39%
Kansas City 17 21.52%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,936,278 times

Advertisements

So which region has truly mastered the art of smoking meat?

Texas: with its smoked brisket and hot beef sausage rings

Memphis: with its wet and dry rubs

Carolinas: with their unique vinegar based cue

or

Kansas City: with their thick, hearty, molasses based sauce over their smoked meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Perhaps I'm being a homer, but I'm going to have to go with Texas.

The way many pit masters can take a brisket and turn it into something so tender and juicy is amazing. Especially with no sauce and just a few seasonings. I think that's what really puts Texas-style que on top, no sauce, no excess of fancy seasonings, just perfectly smoked, flavorful meat.

But contrary to popular belief, Texas barbecue doesn't just end with brisket. My favorite aspect of our barbecue is actually the hot beef links, or "rings" as we call them here. Biting into that casing and hearing the satisfying "snap" while smokey, flavorful goodness rushes into your mouth is heavenly. True story, one time I took a bite into one in the living room one day and the grease flew across the room and hit the TV screen!

Texas barbecue also rose from a mix of unique cultures. Freed slaves, German immigrants, and Latinos all contributed something special to barbecue in this state.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM

People are voting, but not talking. Come on, folks. Let's get some dialogue started!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
I actually vote for Memphis. Best BBQ I've ever had.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Kansas City for the sauces and flavors they use and variety of meat choices. I'll pass on the Carolina vinegar.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 57,404 times
Lawd, Jesus... it's the same places always built up for BBQ. Yall need to take a trip to TN and wrap your lips around some of the best BBQ yall will taste.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM

654 posts, read 1,901,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Perhaps I'm being a homer, but I'm going to have to go with Texas.

The way many pit masters can take a brisket and turn it into something so tender and juicy is amazing. Especially with no sauce and just a few seasonings. I think that's what really puts Texas-style que on top, no sauce, no excess of fancy seasonings, just perfectly smoked, flavorful meat.

But contrary to popular belief, Texas barbecue doesn't just end with brisket. My favorite aspect of our barbecue is actually the hot beef links, or "rings" as we call them here. Biting into that casing and hearing the satisfying "snap" while smokey, flavorful goodness rushes into your mouth is heavenly. True story, one time I took a bite into one in the living room one day and the grease flew across the room and hit the TV screen!

Texas barbecue also rose from a mix of unique cultures. Freed slaves, German immigrants, and Latinos all contributed something special to barbecue in this state.
I feel the same way as you so I voted Texas too. All are quite yummy though.

Have you tried Franklin Barbecue? I hear rave reviews about it but haven't yet devoted a day to eating there. They only serve lunch and no reservations. You have to start lining up early in the morning if you want to eat lunch there. Once they run out of food, they close.

Franklin Barbecue

Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville guy View Post
Lawd, Jesus... it's the same places always built up for BBQ. Yall need to take a trip to TN and wrap your lips around some of the best BBQ yall will taste.
Korea has better BBQ than Tennessee. (I'm joking BTW)

To the OP, does South Carolina hash count as well, or are we talking strictly meat dishes?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,131,079 times
Texas brisket and shoulder clod tastes like pot roast, because it basically is. When you braise your "bbq" in foil (instead of smoking it, the way its supposed to be done), its stays "wet"...but so does beef stew.

The only thing that differentiates it from dog food is the overly pungent oak wood smoke flavor that masks "bland" with "acrid". They call it "dalmatian rub" not because they re purists who only use salt and pepper, but because you feed your ample leftovers to the dog. At a KC bbq, there are no leftovers.

And its hard to miss the fact that all those places in Texas that claims their bbq "doesn't need sauce" serves sauce for some reason...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,446,143 times
As for the Carolinas, it should be known that NC is more known for vinegar-based (mainly in eastern NC), and SC is more known for mustard-based. Overall different types of 'cue call the region home though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City