U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern Tiger!Southern(Southeast) metro's with most visible presence
Miami 10 17.86%
Atlanta 29 51.79%
Nashville 2 3.57%
Orlando 3 5.36%
Charlotte 5 8.93%
Jacksonville 1 1.79%
New Orleans 1 1.79%
Memphis 0 0%
Raleigh Durham 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,021,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But in raw numbers, it's only below Atlanta.
But you were just here, and saw the difference with your own eyes. And you only saw a slice of the Metro. There really is no comparison, and now you know it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 PM

998 posts, read 800,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
"This place exists?"
VA Beach has one of the largest Filipino populations on the East Coast.
You're right, it's as if a metro of 1.7 million does not exist. Memphis, really?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:09 AM

14,007 posts, read 21,978,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
But you were just here, and saw the difference with your own eyes. And you only saw a slice of the Metro. There really is no comparison, and now you know it's true.
I wasn't comparing Miami's Asian community to Atlantas. Afonega said Miami was dead last amongst the Southeastern cities. I was merely pointing out that, in terms of raw numbers, not only is it not deadlast, but it is in-fact 2nd only to Atlanta. Orlando is the only other Non-Atlanta cities on that list with a certified, Asian enclave.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 AM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
In ra numbers yes but Atlanta and Miami have near the same population So percentage wise its a significant difference.
As I stated in the other thread,Atlanta has several communities in its metro with over 20% Asian.
So while the metros by percentage seems similar,its just not the same in visible population or impact culturlly.

Anybody voting for Miami is just playing homerism
I agree it's just homer-ism, but it's kind of like the battle of the pygmies on this front. DC might have more than double Atlanta's Asian population by MSA (and with an Asian population that is greater than the difference between Atlanta's and Miami's several times over) and has probably just hit or is about to hit double digits in terms of proportions for the entire metro, but all of it sort of looks pretty minor in comparison to the next tier above which is almost a world away in difference.

In that way, this is a simple numbers comparison--which one has the largest population. In which case, one can just look it up. Where it gets trickier is once you start trying to account for tourist numbers.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree it's just homer-ism, but it's kind of like the battle of the pygmies on this front. DC might have more than double Atlanta's Asian population by MSA (and with an Asian population that is greater than the difference between Atlanta's and Miami's several times over) and has probably just hit or is about to hit double digits in terms of proportions for the entire metro, but all of it sort of looks pretty minor in comparison to the next tier above which is almost a world away in difference.

In that way, this is a simple numbers comparison--which one has the largest population. In which case, one can just look it up. Where it gets trickier is once you start trying to account for tourist numbers.
But i asked about the 'Visible" population.Miami being a tourist mecca should have more noticeable Asians even if they ere tourist.
You can tell by certain neighborhoods who lives where.Atlanta has several of those neighborhoods that its easy to see where the Asians live.
Its easier to get a taste of that culture in Atlanta,Orlando

Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wasn't comparing Miami's Asian community to Atlantas. Afonega said Miami was dead last amongst the Southeastern cities. I was merely pointing out that, in terms of raw numbers, not only is it not deadlast, but it is in-fact 2nd only to Atlanta. Orlando is the only other Non-Atlanta cities on that list with a certified, Asian enclave.
You just said it.
Miami lacks this but Atlanta has several through out the metro. Raw numbers mean nothing if ther is nothing tangible.I mean we are talking about enhancing the culture of the city with diversity.diversity. Obviously Miami has that but when it comes to Asians its like a major blind spot.

Percentage wise Atlanta has nearly double than that of Miami yet its populations overall are neck and neck

Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM

98 posts, read 93,471 times
I can't speak for the other cities, but I've seen a lot of Asians in Raleigh-Durham because of the large percentage of Asians attending Duke University, working at Duke Hospital, and other healthcare/technology sectors

Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,978,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You just said it.
Miami lacks this but Atlanta has several through out the metro. Raw numbers mean nothing if ther is nothing tangible.I mean we are talking about enhancing the culture of the city with diversity.diversity. Obviously Miami has that but when it comes to Asians its like a major blind spot.

Percentage wise Atlanta has nearly double than that of Miami yet its populations overall are neck and neck
Miami may not be up there with Atlanta, but it isn't dead last in the Southeast either. It is 2nd to Atlanta amongst these cities you listed. It may seem like Raleigh, Charlotte, Orlando, Nashville, and Jacksonville should be ahead of Miami in voting, but that would be numerically innaccurate. Miami is right behind Atlanta in these polls, as it should be. Percentage is one thing, but Raw numbers are another. Atlanta is number 1 as it should be, and Miami number 2 also as it should be.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 14,648 times
You for got Birmingham who seems to have a growing Asian presence.after the World Games in 2021 no telling how many International transplants will flock there with all the Growth in Birmingham an around it.

Last edited by NewtoAL15; 06-11-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 PM

841 posts, read 1,404,032 times
Dunno, if you guys consider it the south, but Fairfax County in Northern Virginia (Metro DC) has 1.3million people and is 20% Asian...so just the one county has over 200,000 Asians (it's as Asian as Orange County, CA)...metro DC in the parts that aren't overwhelmingly black feels a bit more Asian than metro Seattle (Fairfax, Montgomery, Howard and Loudoun counties are all 15+% Asian- this is a population of nearly 3 million people- Arlington and Prince William counties also are ~10% Asian)..,of course the parts that are overwhelmingly black, bring down the Asian percentage for the metro as a whole.

I'd say they're quite visible (about as visible as they are in the more Asian Seattle suburbs) in most of the metro save for DC and Prince George's.

So imo, on the metro level, it feels considerably more Asian than metro Houston,metro Dallas and metro Atlanta...metro DC doesn't have the huge concentrations that metro NYC has in Queens/parts of Central NJ/parts of Brooklyn/Jersey City, but it has a substantial percentage (15-30%) in roughly half the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or