U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 61 59.80%
Louisiana 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,497,649 times

Advertisements

To visit? Louisiana
To live? Missouri

Missouri's economy is far better, it's more diverse, and more liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 PM

14,149 posts, read 19,674,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Wow, you guys are still going strong on this topic!

Iím surprised that people actually think this is close. Outside of the uniqueness of NO culture and architecture, (which is typically awesome to spend a few days in and then leave), this is really not that close.

Everybody gets that NO is fun, itís cool, and a unique American city that is a blast to visit. But comparing LA to MO is just silly.

MO has TWO large metropolitan areas, both of which independently meet or exceed New Orleans. You can just as easily spend 2-3 days vacationing Kansas City or St Louis as you can in New Orleans. They all three offer different, yet plenty of things to do for visitors. As a matter of fact, the WWI museum in KC should be followed by a visit to the WWII museum in NO as I think both are top history museums in the country and as much as people in StL like to overlook the Arch, it will always be a national icon and destination. People love to visit the Arch and museum under it.

Baton Rouge does not compare to KC. They are not even remotely comparable. Springfield, MO would a much closer peer to Baton Rouge.

Missouri not only has two major cities both of which have attractions that New Orleans doesnít have (StL has NHL, MLB, Six Flags, KC has MLB, MLS Worlds of Fun for example), but Missouri is one of the top tourism and recreation states between the coasts. Branson, Silver Dollar City, Lake of the Ozarks etc.

Better weather, smaller bugs, better economy, two bigger cities, mid Missouri lakes, caves, white water rafting, three major amusement parks, more pro sports teams, resort areas, branson and a very long list of cultural attractions (symphonys, amphitheaters, museums, zoos, urban districts like the river market, westport and plaza in KC or Central West End, Soulard, Hill in StL.

French Quarter is neat, but it alone doesnít come close to carrying the state into the same category as Missouri.
I think you're selling Missouri too much. I wouldn't say it's silly, MO is far from California or New York or Florida.

Baton Rouge is comparable to KC, it's much larger but let's not act like it's Atlanta. I'm sure you wouldn't say Seattle doens't compare to Houston despite the fact that it's twice as large.

Springfield is nearly half the size of Baton Rouge so....

New Orleans has things that none of Missouri has, swamps, nearby beaches, saltwater sea in city limits, etc. Of course you have Lafayette and the rest of cajun country.

New Orleans is more than the French Quarter.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM

589 posts, read 614,980 times
I prefer the Midwest states over the Southern states, the that's just me.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,892,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I prefer the Midwest states over the Southern states, the that's just me.
You really have to take them case by case...in this case I agree, Missouri over Louisiana. Other comparisons would have different outcomes.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM

9,973 posts, read 4,584,513 times
I'll trade my MO life for someone's LA life Well, if I could keep my job and friends and move them too.

LA is fun for a single young adult, but for me, MO seems like a better family raising state. Not that I grew up in LA but just from what I've heard of it.

And, I like watching the "Buying the Bayou" tv show, it makes it seem fun down there There's no "Buying the farm" show for MO.

Plus if counting KC, it comes with like 1/3 of Kansas too, so really you get 1.3 state when comparing it to LA.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 PM

210 posts, read 170,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Baton Rouge is comparable to KC, it's much larger but let's not act like it's Atlanta. I'm sure you wouldn't say Seattle doens't compare to Houston despite the fact that it's twice as large.
Despite the size difference, both Seattle and Houston are still BIG cities in their own right and compare MUCH more favorably To each other than BR and KC ever will.

KC is a big city with big city attractions, infrastructure, corporate presence, and has the big city issues that come along with it.

BR is a slightly larger than mid sized state capital with LSU, Southern University, and some refineries. Not much else.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about How NO, Louisiana, and the Cajun culture/cuisine are infinitely cooler than bland STL, KC, and MO. That argument may have a couple of valid points. But to dismiss KC as being on ANY equal footing with BR is simply wrong. Point blank.

The mere presence of MLB and NFL puts KC on another level of national recognition and exposure that BR can't even touch. Even with LSU.

Let's NOT call a heart a spade here...

You can, however take solace in these two facts: BR actually compares to KC in crime despite being less than half our size, and No one will confuse Which state in Which BR is located....

In addition, No one has to sell Missouri for more than What it is (there is Plenty It's NOT). But Missouri sells itself exactly for What it is: a state in the middle of the country with two ACTUAL big cities with Plenty farms, "mountains," recreational reservoirs, and other theme Parks and attractions in between them.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:17 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,339,885 times
For visiting, Louisiana

For living in, Missouri

Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,892,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Despite the size difference, both Seattle and Houston are still BIG cities in their own right and compare MUCH more favorably To each other than BR and KC ever will.

KC is a big city with big city attractions, infrastructure, corporate presence, and has the big city issues that come along with it.

BR is a slightly larger than mid sized state capital with LSU, Southern University, and some refineries. Not much else.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about How NO, Louisiana, and the Cajun culture/cuisine are infinitely cooler than bland STL, KC, and MO. That argument may have a couple of valid points. But to dismiss KC as being on ANY equal footing with BR is simply wrong. Point blank.

The mere presence of MLB and NFL puts KC on another level of national recognition and exposure that BR can't even touch. Even with LSU.

Let's NOT call a heart a spade here...

You can, however take solace in these two facts: BR actually compares to KC in crime despite being less than half our size, and No one will confuse Which state in Which BR is located....

In addition, No one has to sell Missouri for more than What it is (there is Plenty It's NOT). But Missouri sells itself exactly for What it is: a state in the middle of the country with two ACTUAL big cities with Plenty farms, "mountains," recreational reservoirs, and other theme Parks and attractions in between them.
People tend to idolize or romanticize the Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana and tend to build it up to be a little more that it actually is. It's a fun place to visit and a colorful cultural area, but it's no better than St. Louis or KCM in my opinion. It's a great place to get drunk and fall down, then you wake up and realize it was just a pig with lipstick. I have had some great times in NO, but it's nothing greater than anywhere else. When people call other places "bland" by comparison it's just irritating.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM

10,827 posts, read 19,346,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
People tend to idolize or romanticize the Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana and tend to build it up to be a little more that it actually is. It's a fun place to visit and a colorful cultural area, but it's no better than St. Louis or KCM in my opinion. It's a great place to get drunk and fall down, then you wake up and realize it was just a pig with lipstick. I have had some great times in NO, but it's nothing greater than anywhere else. When people call other places "bland" by comparison it's just irritating.
Pretty much.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,305,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't think StL is bland by any stretch. I understand, though disagree with, why people would call KCMO bland. But I think New Orleans is very, vert special, especially by modern American standards, and lots about southern Louisiana's is certainly inimitable and not replicated anywhere else, a statement I don't honestly think could be made about anywhere in Missouri, StL (which is the furthest outlier of non-standard American culture in MO, as far as I' concerned) included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or