U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 61 59.80%
Louisiana 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM

633 posts, read 437,798 times

Advertisements

Some pics of KC...

Nelson Art Museum

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...6nels.span.jpg

Plaza
http://www.kcmasonrybuilders.com/sho...b-plaza-kc.jpg

Library
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...tyLibrary2.jpg

Arrowhead

Kauffman
Attached Thumbnails
Louisiana vs Missouri-downtown-kansas-city-aerials-24.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:22 PM

185 posts, read 148,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not shooting down MO at all. "Kansas City is a large city with a couple pro sports teams and CCP. Not much else."
Be that as it may, that's more than can be said for Baton Rouge. and that's hardly a dig. BR actually seems like a place In which can get into LOTS of trouble... In a good way. KCMO is nonetheless bigger with more amenities, people, and things going on in general. Just a fact.

You've mistaken me, I'm not saying that anything about Baton Rouge is better than KC, but that they are comparable.
They are not. Anything BR has, KC (and STL & nearby NO, for that matter) has MUCH more of for the most part, Except refineries and big colleges. SU by itself has a much more vibrant and dynamic college atmosphere than UMKC likely ever will, despite the fact that UMKC has nearly twice as many students enrolled. This is true to an even greater extent with LSU. Baton Rouge otherwise compares about as favorably to KCMO as Jefferson City does to BR. KCMO Compares MUCH more favorably to both STL and NO on most measure I'm interested to hear your opinion, however, as to how KC & BR compare favorably.

It's incredibly hard to sell Missouri for more than it is.
Fair enough. You're entitled to that opinion.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM

276 posts, read 238,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
So you can watch a bunch of 18-22 year olds play football in Baton Rouge. Meanwhile in KC, you can see them all grown up!

As for sports teams receiving exposure, well; the Royals made the WS last year, and the NFL>CFB. Its also nice to have the loudest stadium in America and a loyal fanbase throughout Missouri.

KC is alot more than twice as large as Baton Rouge. What does Baton Rouge have that actually one-ups Kansas City or even puts it in the same category? Kansas City is the much larger city so it would be nice to see some ways in which Baton Rouge actually competes with KC aside from proximity to beaches. Kansas City is so underrated nationally.

Its good that Missouri sells itself for what it is. That way tourists know what to expect. Whats the point of hyping yourself up and setting tourists up for disappointment? I live in Missouri; we have cities, lakes, mountains, farms, rivers, rolling hills, pleasant suburbs, sports, culture, history. We accept it for what it is; we do not pretend to be California.
Not sure what sports team you're referring to having the loudest stadium but Tiger Stadium is held the loudest in college football and the superdome where the saints play is held as one of the hardest places to play due to the atmosphere and noise.

I think nationally when it comes to football that Louisiana has a bigger more loyal fan bases than Missouri and the loudest venues. I've never heard any raving about the Missouri stadiums. I'm willing to challenge the sports is bigger here than in Missouri when it comes to the NFL and just the atmosphere. Not that its very important but since it was brought up thought I'd discuss it.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:17 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,700,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Kansas City and Baton Rouge are not good comparisons. Kansas City is a much larger city and in a higher tier.

To you that may be true. For the millions of visitors that come to Missouri, annually, I think they are sold.

Cajun Culture in New Orleans

Cajuns and Creoles | Experience New Orleans!

Louisiana's Traditional Cultures: An Overview
Houston is 3 times larger and in a higher tier. Yet they are still comparable.

There is virtually 0 Cajun history in New Orleans.

Quote:
So you can watch a bunch of 18-22 year olds play football in Baton Rouge. Meanwhile in KC, you can see them all grown up!

As for sports teams receiving exposure, well; the Royals made the WS last year, and the NFL>CFB. Its also nice to have the loudest stadium in America and a loyal fanbase throughout Missouri.

KC is alot more than twice as large as Baton Rouge. What does Baton Rouge have that actually one-ups Kansas City or even puts it in the same category? Kansas City is the much larger city so it would be nice to see some ways in which Baton Rouge actually competes with KC aside from proximity to beaches. Kansas City is so underrated nationally.

Its good that Missouri sells itself for what it is. That way tourists know what to expect. Whats the point of hyping yourself up and setting tourists up for disappointment? I live in Missouri; we have cities, lakes, mountains, farms, rivers, rolling hills, pleasant suburbs, sports, culture, history. We accept it for what it is; we do not pretend to be California.
I agree that KC is underrated, again, I'm not putting it down. Nor am I saying that Baton Rouge is equal to it, obviously it's much smaller but it's still comparable. It's not as if BR is a small town, we have brutal traffic, freeways, different urban neighborhoods, would have an international airport but MSY is close, our suburbs probably can't compare though. My point is that you can generally do the exact same things in Baton Rouge as you can in Kansas City, maybe not pro sports and mountain climbing but then again we have LSU football and the nations largest swamp a few mins west.

Louisiana doesn't hype anymore than any other tourists office for any particular state. I honestly don't think any state pretends to be California as far as that goes, I've noticed alot more tourism commercials on TV now and they all do a great job of making me want to visit because of what's unique to their state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
.Be that as it may, that's more than can be said for Baton Rouge. and that's hardly a dig. BR actually seems like a place In which can get into LOTS of trouble... In a good way. KCMO is nonetheless bigger with more amenities, people, and things going on in general. Just a fact.

They are not. Anything BR has, KC (and STL & nearby NO, for that matter) has MUCH more of for the most part, Except refineries and big colleges. SU by itself has a much more vibrant and dynamic college atmosphere than UMKC likely ever will, despite the fact that UMKC has nearly twice as many students enrolled. This is true to an even greater extent with LSU. Baton Rouge otherwise compares about as favorably to KCMO as Jefferson City does to BR. KCMO Compares MUCH more favorably to both STL and NO on most measure I'm interested to hear your opinion, however, as to how KC & BR compare favorably.
Just because a place is bigger doesn't mean it's incomparable to a smaller city.

Again, so?

If someone was looking at job offers in Chicago and KC, would they not be comparable at all just because Chicago is 4.5 times larger? No, they all have the same basic amenities to serve their population. This is my same argument.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
I like LA better because i like New Orleans much more than KC and STL.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:20 PM

633 posts, read 437,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Not sure what sports team you're referring to having the loudest stadium but Tiger Stadium is held the loudest in college football and the superdome where the saints play is held as one of the hardest places to play due to the atmosphere and noise.

I think nationally when it comes to football that Louisiana has a bigger more loyal fan bases than Missouri and the loudest venues. I've never heard any raving about the Missouri stadiums. I'm willing to challenge the sports is bigger here than in Missouri when it comes to the NFL and just the atmosphere. Not that its very important but since it was brought up thought I'd discuss it.
Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City is the loudest outdoor stadium in America

Arrowhead stadium breaks crowd noise record - NFL Videos

As for loyalty, LSU sports are typically better than Mizzou. But I would be very surprised if Saints fans were more loyal than Cards fans, especially considering the Saints spotty history (pre-2006). Royals also have great attendance this year.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City is the loudest outdoor stadium in America

Arrowhead stadium breaks crowd noise record - NFL Videos

As for loyalty, LSU sports are typically better than Mizzou. But I would be very surprised if Saints fans were more loyal than Cards fans, especially considering the Saints spotty history (pre-2006). Royals also have great attendance this year.
Though it was not officially recorded by any world record book this did happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYHnePZuE0U

LSU's Tiger Stadium: Death Valley sets standard for loud and proud college stadiums | Fox News

Old 07-05-2015, 05:39 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston is 3 times larger and in a higher tier. Yet they are still comparable.
You said they were comparable, and alluded to their size just as you did St. Louis to New Orleans. They are not peer cities, and it's going to stay just like that.

Quote:
There is virtually 0 Cajun history in New Orleans.
This is not true. Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true.

Quote:
I agree that KC is underrated, again, I'm not putting it down. Nor am I saying that Baton Rouge is equal to it, obviously it's much smaller but it's still comparable. It's not as if BR is a small town, we have brutal traffic, freeways, different urban neighborhoods, would have an international airport but MSY is close, our suburbs probably can't compare though. My point is that you can generally do the exact same things in Baton Rouge as you can in Kansas City, maybe not pro sports and mountain climbing but then again we have LSU football and the nations largest swamp a few mins west.
No, you can't do the exact same things because Kansas City is a much larger city with many more attractions, museums, professional sports, etc. There is no equivalent in Louisiana for either Kansas City or St. Louis, just as there is no equivalent for New Orleans in Missouri.

Louisiana doesn't hype anymore than any other tourists office for any particular state. I honestly don't think any state pretends to be California as far as that goes, I've noticed alot more tourism commercials on TV now and they all do a great job of making me want to visit because of what's unique to their state.

Just because a place is bigger doesn't mean it's incomparable to a smaller city.

Again, so?

Quote:
If someone was looking at job offers in Chicago and KC, would they not be comparable at all just because Chicago is 4.5 times larger? No, they all have the same basic amenities to serve their population. This is my same argument.
I don't know whether to find your use of hyperbole charming or just ignorant. To each his own.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 PM

So far the argument has been since Missouri has two larger cities that makes it better by default. It seems people are offended even that Louisiana is being compared to Missouri. If anything I would say Missouri is being played up. Nobody has offered as to why it is so much better.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,918,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
So far the argument has been since Missouri has two larger cities that makes it better by default. It seems people are offended even that Louisiana is being compared to Missouri. If anything I would say Missouri is being played up. Nobody has offered as to why it is so much better.
Are you reading the same thread? When I first saw this thread and saw MO was dominating (at that time) I thought I'd jump in and defend LA a bit, that is until I read a ton of the arrogant, ignorant comments coming from several posters boosting the untouchable New Orleans (in their minds... which seems to include you btw). People are upselling everything about NO and saying it beats both cities combined while completely downplaying everything about STL & KC. Midwestern cities are boring? their architecture is boring? suburban? give me a freaking break...

I see lots of pics and arguments from MO posters while a lot of LA posters say it wins by default because NO is NO... while hilariously admitting they don't really know anything about the other cities! I think you were one of those people as well...

Now I see you started a thread for just NO vs. STL with your bias in the very first line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or