U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 61 59.80%
Louisiana 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,116,813 times
Reputation: 710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I look forward to visiting St Louis, but you can't exactly rely on housing stock data to quantify your point. The city of New Orleans does, in fact, have more historic neighborhoods that make up the vast majority of the city than would be accounted for in housing stock data. This is largely due to a slightly catastrophic event 10 years ago that wiped out many of those historic homes here.
Not so much did it wipe out the housing stock (although over 100k units were badly damaged by the storm), it wiped out the housing data that we had. The city is notorious for abysmal record keeping (and code enforcement ...) and Katrina destroyed those records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 PM
 
5,619 posts, read 13,299,372 times
Reputation: 2880
I have nothing against STL and maybe the architecture is nice there, but I highly doubt any city can match the charm and architecture of NoLa except maybe Boston, Philly, or Baltimore. STL is still a highly suburban Midwest city. The size of the city doesn't matter because honestly, would you rather live in Houston/Phoenix (large cities) or NoLa? The culture, vibe and architecture of NoLa is MUCH more enticing than in Houston or Phoenix.

STL may be more historic and architecturally unique than many cities in the country, but not NoLa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,918,054 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Louisiana.

Whoever says New Orleans is architecturally behind anybody in the US, the mid west in particular, is just mind boggling to me. It has more than twice as many historical structures than any city in the USA. The mix of French colonial, Spanish, Antebellum, Italianite, Greek Revival, etc etc offer a mix you can't see in such abundance anywhere else. I can't for the life of me fathom St. Louis topping it. St. Louis has a few historic districts where a few blocks on a few streets here and there are gorgeous - NOLA has more than half the city filled with it.

A fun fact (since people from StL are putting em up): Many old houses in New Orleans support the original wood planks used from boats to float down the river to get here on.

The Quarter is full of things to do imo and I'm a resident. I love sitting on the Moon Walk and watching the boats float by and talk to people from all walks of life, listening to various types of music that are unique to this area, taking in the smells of some of the best food anywhere. But to each their own.

Not that the 1/4 is the only beautiful part of the city - if you think that, then I question if you've ever been anywhere else outside of it. Uptown and City Park are breathtaking in their own ways. So are the Marigny, Bywater, Upper 9th, 7th Ward, Treme, Lakeview, Esplanade Ave....

Plus, I voted Louisiana because I'm Cajun, so I have a certain amount of pride on that. Not to mention our music and food wipe the floor with anything outside of LA from my experience. Also, the people in Louisiana are very polite - you can't get away from being part of the community here. Whether we like outsiders who brag about where they came from - well, no.... most of us don't like that
This whole thread seems to be lashing out/over compensating for the poll results... Seriously, the build up of N.O. and complete lack of credit given to STL and KC here is really, really sad and homerish.... Mwah you seem to have some thought out passionate posts but then you say condescending junk like this, "the midwest in particular." If you can't acknowledge the architecture in places like St. Louis, Chicago, Cincy, etc. than this conversation is truly pointless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I have nothing against STL and maybe the architecture is nice there, but I highly doubt any city can match the charm and architecture of NoLa except maybe Boston, Philly, or Baltimore. STL is still a highly suburban Midwest city. The size of the city doesn't matter because honestly, would you rather live in Houston/Phoenix (large cities) or NoLa? The culture, vibe and architecture of NoLa is MUCH more enticing than in Houston or Phoenix.

STL may be more historic and architecturally unique than many cities in the country, but not NoLa.
Speaking of the above... lol, Maybe it's nice there? Why don't you actually go there, spend time there and learn about the city before forming an opinion? Crazy idea, I know... Jesse you keep demonstrating an ignorance of St. Louis throughout the thread, which is sad because if what you say is true I feel like you'd really enjoy St. Louis if you spent some time there; however, calling St. Louis "suburban Midwest City" and then liking it to Houston and Phoenix shows such blinding ignorance that it tells me you aren't even interested or trying anymore... N.O. is just another sun belt boom town of strip malls and suburbs right? Wait, I've actually lived there so I won't rely on clueless stereo types...

St. Louis is also older than the US. The inner ring streetcar suburbs of St. Louis are more urban than some major cities in the US so your suburban comment was extra amusing. A lot of the inner city was built before streetcars and so neighborhoods were self contained and walkable with corner shops, parks, etc. that offered everything residents needed right next to home. St. Louis as a metro has certainly experienced quite a bit of sprawl but calling it suburban is just clueless; furthermore, hurry it up and travel to the (French) Caribbean please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,918,054 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I have nothing against STL and maybe the architecture is nice there, but I highly doubt any city can match the charm and architecture of NoLa except maybe Boston, Philly, or Baltimore. STL is still a highly suburban Midwest city. The size of the city doesn't matter because honestly, would you rather live in Houston/Phoenix (large cities) or NoLa? The culture, vibe and architecture of NoLa is MUCH more enticing than in Houston or Phoenix.

STL may be more historic and architecturally unique than many cities in the country, but not NoLa.
So if you honestly have no idea... how did you arrive at this conclusion exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 01:03 PM
 
99 posts, read 120,263 times
Reputation: 65
I only picked Missouri just because of Kansas City. Louisiana is a far more entertaining state then Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,918,054 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I look forward to visiting St Louis, but you can't exactly rely on housing stock data to quantify your point. The city of New Orleans does, in fact, have more historic neighborhoods that make up the vast majority of the city than would be accounted for in housing stock data. This is largely due to a slightly catastrophic event 10 years ago that wiped out many of those historic homes here.
Sure, why even try to use data... His point still stands Chilly (although I do get yours too), St. Louis is also a very densely built, historic city filled with gorgeous architecture that helped (a lot...) build this country. This thread was pretty ridiculous at the start with so many proclaiming how untouchable N.O. is but reached a new low of delusions with St. Louis of all places being called suburban... WT....???? St. Louis is a bit of a mix of Cincy, Baltimore, and yeah even some N.O. thrown in there, anyone claiming the city of St. Louis is suburban clearly hasn't been there and probably shouldn't talk about cities....

Signed someone living in N.O. during Katrina,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs (ATL)
1,871 posts, read 2,207,302 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Sure, why even try to use data... His point still stands Chilly (although I do get yours too), St. Louis is also a very densely built, historic city filled with gorgeous architecture that helped (a lot...) build this country. This thread was pretty ridiculous at the start with so many proclaiming how untouchable N.O. is but reached a new low of delusions with St. Louis of all places being called suburban... WT....???? St. Louis is a bit of a mix of Cincy, Baltimore, and yeah even some N.O. thrown in there, anyone claiming the city of St. Louis is suburban clearly hasn't been there and probably shouldn't talk about cities....

Signed someone living in N.O. during Katrina,
Why use data that's obviously off? I totally get your frustration, though it isn't with me as I can only speak about New Orleans. I was just expounding that his technical point, displaying that N.O. only has 30% historic residential area, is invalid as those numbers are wildly misrepresentative. Even people not from here would know that's incorrect. But I certainly do agree that his overall point, that St Louis is quite historic and urban, stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,163 posts, read 2,843,175 times
Reputation: 4371
Why do people keep mentioning New Orleans? We are supposed to be looking at the states overall as a whole.

Overall, I'd rather live in Missouri. If we had to pick cities, I'd rather live in KC or STL, but would rather visit New Orleans. The job market and housing are better in KC or STL, but New Orleans has more to do for tourists.

Without New Orleans, Louisiana would just be another Mississippi. Then again, without STL or KC, Missouri would be just another boring Midwest state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,116,813 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
This whole thread seems to be lashing out/over compensating for the poll results... Seriously, the build up of N.O. and complete lack of credit given to STL and KC here is really, really sad and homerish.... Mwah you seem to have some thought out passionate posts but then you say condescending junk like this, "the midwest in particular." If you can't acknowledge the architecture in places like St. Louis, Chicago, Cincy, etc. than this conversation is truly pointless.
Well, sorry if I find the midwest generally boring in its architectural make up. St. Louis does have decent architecture but outside of a few blocks here and there I didn't see anything breath taking in scope. I love my city but that doesn't mean I won't bomb on it when it's due.

I can understand why people would wanna live in MO over LA, LA may as well be the nations latrine because it's so corrupt, hot, and underdeveloped. My responses have nothing to do with over compensating - it has to do with my shock that people would put StL up against the architecture of NOLA, something I just don't see at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why do people keep mentioning New Orleans? We are supposed to be looking at the states overall as a whole.

Overall, I'd rather live in Missouri. If we had to pick cities, I'd rather live in KC or STL, but would rather visit New Orleans. The job market and housing are better in KC or STL, but New Orleans has more to do for tourists.

Without New Orleans, Louisiana would just be another Mississippi. Then again, without STL or KC, Missouri would be just another boring Midwest state.
Louisiana would be another Mississippi without New Orleans and Acadiana. There's way too much differences between MS and the Cajun areas of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,918,054 times
Reputation: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Well, sorry if I find the midwest generally boring in its architectural make up. St. Louis does have decent architecture but outside of a few blocks here and there I didn't see anything breath taking in scope. I love my city but that doesn't mean I won't bomb on it when it's due.

I can understand why people would wanna live in MO over LA, LA may as well be the nations latrine because it's so corrupt, hot, and underdeveloped. My responses have nothing to do with over compensating - it has to do with my shock that people would put StL up against the architecture of NOLA, something I just don't see at all.



Louisiana would be another Mississippi without New Orleans and Acadiana. There's way too much differences between MS and the Cajun areas of LA.
Hey your preferences are your preferences (btw, I actually put you seperate and said you're posts are more thought out, I'm still blown away a bit by your negative view of architecture in the midwest, but nothing like the amazement of a N.O. poster calling St. Louis suburban... Chicago and Cincy too I guess...), but I really want to know how you find the architecture in the midwest boring and from your previous quote I assume you place it last in the US? Or how do you rank the regions in the US for architecture? Chicago, St. Louis, Cincy, etc. have boring architecture for you?

Ok, so you say St. Louis has decent architecture, and, "outside of a few blocks here and there I didn't see anything breath taking in scope." Curious to know what blocks you're referring to. Btw, this thread needs some pics! I'll try and add some today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top