U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 61 59.80%
Louisiana 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2015, 10:55 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,921,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
This thread has deteriorated into a comparison of the architecture of St. Louis and New Orleans. I thought it was Missouri vs Louisiana
Talking about aspects of the primary cities of the two states is certainly relevant, but thanks for your wonderful contribution to the topic...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,856,491 times
My impression of Louisiana was that the Southern part of the state felt very flat, like Florida.

The northern part felt very similar to Arkansas, also flat but a little more scenery.

I find Missouri to have more natural beauty.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 3,352,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Those pics have been around for years. There is a guy who flew around all major cities and shot them. I feel like his shots make most cities look bigger and more dense than they really are.

That said, STL has an impressive building stock. Here's hoping the city can make a come back, because right now places like Houston and Phoenix boom at the expense of places like STL. So yes, STL has the BUILT form of a much larger city. That's because 100 years ago, it was a top 5 city. Now that it has lost the majority of its population, the buildings are still there, but the commerce is not. That is why although there are walkable urban strips here and there, it is not walkable like Chicago or NYC, or even Boston. Cities on a smaller scale that are more compact and walkable are New Orleans, Charleston, Austin, Portland, and Louisville. Now, with the exception of Portland, and perhaps New Orleans, STL has just as much or more retail, restaurants, and commerce as the aforementioned cities, but when it is spread from Clayton to downtown to Soulard etc, it just doesn't fill all the "gaps" and make STL seem "suburban" (ie car reliant) when it is actually a completely urban city

But STL has the built form to be like Boston or DC. Only time will tell. Certainly the parks, sports, museums, and architecture are world class.
What happened?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:53 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,856,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What happened?
White flight. Industry closed down. City planning also messed a lot of things up.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:01 AM

633 posts, read 438,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Talking about aspects of the primary cities of the two states is certainly relevant, but thanks for your wonderful contribution to the topic...
I did not want the thread focus to get completely derailed...

First, architecture is only so important.

Secondly, St. Louis is not THE city in Missouri (it is not Minneapolis to Minnesota). St. Louis vs New Orleans is a different balance than New Orleans vs Kansas City and St. Louis. St Louis has more fortune 500 companies, but you have to remember that some of KC's went across the state line.

Third, STL/KC vs NO leaves no room for discussion of scenery and the rest of the states smaller cities.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,921,838 times
Quote:
I did not want the thread focus to get completely derailed...

See My response to your last post.

First, architecture is only so important.

Sure, it's only one aspect that we were discussing, so... what in the world is stopping you from discussing other aspects of the topic?

Secondly, St. Louis is not THE city in Missouri (it is not Minneapolis to Minnesota). St. Louis vs New Orleans is a different balance than New Orleans vs Kansas City and St. Louis. St Louis has more fortune 500 companies, but you have to remember that some of KC's went across the state line.

Cities was plural, there's no slight to KC (plenty of posters have mentioned). Post away if you want, again, what is stopping you?

Third, STL/KC vs NO leaves no room for discussion of scenery and the rest of the states smaller cities.

What are you talking about there's no room? There's not a page limit or something, there's unlimited room so again, post what you want for the topic and don't bash others who are doing the same just because you prefer something else.
My thoughts.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
My thoughts.
I am unfamiliar with Louisiana so I can't give an honest comparison. The thing is, some people don't realize that Kansas City is in Missouri. Many people actually believe that St. Louis is Missouri's version of Indianapolis. Without acknowledging KC (or the rest of MO for that matter), its hard to have an in depth discussion about Missouri and Louisiana.

I wasn't trying to ruffle features, its just that there is much more to this discussion than the architecture of two cities.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:19 PM

854 posts, read 995,005 times
Even though KC's metro spills over the state line, there is little dispute that St. Louis is the dominant metro in the state. St. Louis is some 800,000 people bigger- that's not an insignificant number (and St. Louis' metro spans two states also). In addition to size, St. Louis' historic significance is simply unmatched in the state. And remember that even though KC's city population is technically bigger, its land area is also 5 times bigger. If St. Louis' city limits were expanded to equal size, it would probably be close to double KC's population. The urban core of St. Louis is unquestionably denser than KC's, and that's why most people consider it the main city in Missouri.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Even though KC's metro spills over the state line, there is little dispute that St. Louis is the dominant metro in the state. St. Louis is some 800,000 people bigger- that's not an insignificant number (and St. Louis' metro spans two states also). In addition to size, St. Louis' historic significance is simply unmatched in the state. And remember that even though KC's city population is technically bigger, its land area is also 5 times bigger. If St. Louis' city limits were expanded to equal size, it would probably be close to double KC's population. The urban core of St. Louis is unquestionably denser than KC's, and that's why most people consider it the main city in Missouri.
Never said that KC was the dominant city. Its just that its not the only metro with a population over two million. St. Louis may be our Indianapolis, but Kansas City certainly isn't our Fort Wayne.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,535,340 times
Quote:
Never said that KC was the dominant city. Its just that its not the only metro with a population over two million. St. Louis may be our Indianapolis, but Kansas City certainly isn't our Fort Wayne.
I actually think that Kansas City is way more representative of Missouri as a whole and more favored statewide. St. Louis is REALLY hated in Jefferson City, Kansas City not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or