Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 60 59.41%
Louisiana 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I've never been to STL so I'm neither voting or comparing. My post was simply correcting and expounding upon egregiously false information which, if you once lived here as you've stated, you'd have to agree is inaccurate.
...and if you read the thread you'd know that I've also already pointed out how people really should get beyond the french quarter and that I almost never went there when I lived in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:41 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
I've traveled to both states, but I couldn't bear the thought of living in either. However, FAIAP, I'm going with Louisiana because it's warmer and is home to New Orleans, which is a great place to visit.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,766 times
Louisiana.

Whoever says New Orleans is architecturally behind anybody in the US, the mid west in particular, is just mind boggling to me. It has more than twice as many historical structures than any city in the USA. The mix of French colonial, Spanish, Antebellum, Italianite, Greek Revival, etc etc offer a mix you can't see in such abundance anywhere else. I can't for the life of me fathom St. Louis topping it. St. Louis has a few historic districts where a few blocks on a few streets here and there are gorgeous - NOLA has more than half the city filled with it.

A fun fact (since people from StL are putting em up): Many old houses in New Orleans support the original wood planks used from boats to float down the river to get here on.

The Quarter is full of things to do imo and I'm a resident. I love sitting on the Moon Walk and watching the boats float by and talk to people from all walks of life, listening to various types of music that are unique to this area, taking in the smells of some of the best food anywhere. But to each their own.

Not that the 1/4 is the only beautiful part of the city - if you think that, then I question if you've ever been anywhere else outside of it. Uptown and City Park are breathtaking in their own ways. So are the Marigny, Bywater, Upper 9th, 7th Ward, Treme, Lakeview, Esplanade Ave....

Plus, I voted Louisiana because I'm Cajun, so I have a certain amount of pride on that. Not to mention our music and food wipe the floor with anything outside of LA from my experience. Also, the people in Louisiana are very polite - you can't get away from being part of the community here. Whether we like outsiders who brag about where they came from - well, no.... most of us don't like that

Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 PM

372 posts, read 449,749 times
Louisiana is the more interesting of the two and has better food. Louisiana has New Orleans. I would think the only thing Missouri as over Louisiana is that it has to major cities are over a million. I'm sure you can find great places to live in either one. Lafayette is one for Louisiana. I currently live here. I'll go with Louisiana because its simply more fun.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
...and if you read the thread you'd know that I've also already pointed out how people really should get beyond the french quarter and that I almost never went there when I lived in the city.
How's STL "better" in architecture?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I would think the only thing Missouri as over Louisiana is that it has to major cities are over a million.
NOLA is cooler than StL/KC. Cooler than them both combined. It's the only city in the South I would ever consider living in. But that doesn't necessarily mean its "better". Everyone would rather visit NOLA than KC or StL. But not as many people choose to live there as choose to live in either KC or StL.

Louisiana certainly has a more unique culture, but I'd take outstate MO over LA any day of the week. And parts of rural LA culture aren't so quaint. There's nothing in Louisiana that has a much interest to me as the Ozarks (which have a fairly unique culture all of there own), though there are some fascinating natural areas of LA.

I also would give the nod to Columbia over Baton Rouge for the primary college town (but would give Baton Rouge the nod over Jefferson City for crapitol city).

I'd also take MO's weather in a heartbeat. LA is insufferable.

In the end, total package, I vote MO>LA.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:39 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How's STL "better" in architecture?
How is NO architecture better?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Louisiana.

Whoever says New Orleans is architecturally behind anybody in the US, the mid west in particular, is just mind boggling to me. It has more than twice as many historical structures than any city in the USA. The mix of French colonial, Spanish, Antebellum, Italianite, Greek Revival, etc etc offer a mix you can't see in such abundance anywhere else. I can't for the life of me fathom St. Louis topping it. St. Louis has a few historic districts where a few blocks on a few streets here and there are gorgeous - NOLA has more than half the city filled with it.

A fun fact (since people from StL are putting em up): Many old houses in New Orleans support the original wood planks used from boats to float down the river to get here on.

The Quarter is full of things to do imo and I'm a resident. I love sitting on the Moon Walk and watching the boats float by and talk to people from all walks of life, listening to various types of music that are unique to this area, taking in the smells of some of the best food anywhere. But to each their own.

Not that the 1/4 is the only beautiful part of the city - if you think that, then I question if you've ever been anywhere else outside of it. Uptown and City Park are breathtaking in their own ways. So are the Marigny, Bywater, Upper 9th, 7th Ward, Treme, Lakeview, Esplanade Ave....

Plus, I voted Louisiana because I'm Cajun, so I have a certain amount of pride on that. Not to mention our music and food wipe the floor with anything outside of LA from my experience. Also, the people in Louisiana are very polite - you can't get away from being part of the community here. Whether we like outsiders who brag about where they came from - well, no.... most of us don't like that
Most of those architectural styles are present in St. Louis and they were done with some of the best brick masonry in the country. I've actually been to New Orleans a number of times, I think it is an interesting city and definitely one of a kind. I just feel that St. Louis also has a very unique sense of place, many interesting neighborhoods, and stunning architecture in all of them. To say that St. Louis has a "few" historic districts is asinine at best, when the whole city is a historic district.

In fact, if you want to get real technical over 54% of the lived in housing stock in St. Louis was built before 1940 compared to 30% for New Orleans, so the idea that New Orleans has so many more historical, urban scaled neighborhoods than St. Louis is also pretty laughable.

Cities with Oldest Homes: Age of Housing Stock Data

Again not taking anything away from New Orleans, but I just find it offensive that someone from New Orleans would be offended that somebody may prefer St. Louis over New Orleans, or Missouri over Louisiana. For one Metro St. Louis is over twice the size of Metro New Orleans and even though New Orleans may punch above its weight in cultural aspects/tourism, that doesn't necessarily mean that St. Louis offers inferior amenities, lifestyle choices, civic institutions, or quality of life.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Most of those architectural styles are present in St. Louis and they were done with some of the best brick masonry in the country. I've actually been to New Orleans a number of times, I think it is an interesting city and definitely one of a kind. I just feel that St. Louis also has a very unique sense of place, many interesting neighborhoods, and stunning architecture in all of them. To say that St. Louis has a "few" historic districts is asinine at best, when the whole city is a historic district.

In fact, if you want to get real technical over 54% of the lived in housing stock in St. Louis was built before 1940 compared to 30% for New Orleans, so the idea that New Orleans has so many more historical, urban scaled neighborhoods than St. Louis is also pretty laughable.

Again not taking anything away from New Orleans, but I just find it offensive that someone from New Orleans would be offended that somebody may prefer St. Louis over New Orleans, or Missouri over Louisiana. For one Metro St. Louis is over twice the size of Metro New Orleans and even though New Orleans may punch above its weight in cultural aspects/tourism, that doesn't necessarily mean that St. Louis offers inferior amenities, lifestyle choices, civic institutions, or quality of life.
I look forward to visiting St Louis, but you can't exactly rely on housing stock data to quantify your point. The city of New Orleans does, in fact, have more historic neighborhoods that make up the vast majority of the city than would be accounted for in housing stock data. This is largely due to a slightly catastrophic event 10 years ago that wiped out many of those historic homes here.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post

New Orleans has 35,000 buildings named on the National Register of Historical Places, which is 20,000 more than the next in line, DC. It has more historical districts on the National Registrar (at least 20) than any city in the nation. St. Louis appears to have 10.

Also - I hold creole architecture to be some of the most useful, sturdy, beautiful architectural designs known to man. They've been proven to withstand hundreds of years of hurricanes, floods, and abandonment on top of being extremely unique. Not to mention the styles are still held strong today - there are 6th generation+ creole builders that still build the same style houses that were built hundreds of years ago, right next to the old.

New Orleans, Louisiana: Enticing and Carefree | IIP Digital

Size means nothing to me - if you'd like more people in a metro or a larger land area, then more power to ya. I like the small, condensed feeling that NOLA gives. If New Orleans went under water, I'd go right to Lafourche Parish or somewhere in the rural Lafayette area and rejoin my roots.

The Ozarks, from my experience, do not offer anything that I couldn't get elsewhere in the country (my grandma and uncles live in the region, I've been there plenty of times). To me it's just a hilly area with the same way of life as nearly anywhere else in the southern USA. There's not too many unique places in the USA left - South Louisiana is the exception by and large. The history and cultural heartbeat that still resides here, with its many authentic traditions, cannot be matched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City