Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best State
Missiouri 60 59.41%
Louisiana 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
People tend to idolize or romanticize the Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana and tend to build it up to be a little more that it actually is. It's a fun place to visit and a colorful cultural area, but it's no better than St. Louis or KCM in my opinion. It's a great place to get drunk and fall down, then you wake up and realize it was just a pig with lipstick. I have had some great times in NO, but it's nothing greater than anywhere else. When people call other places "bland" by comparison it's just irritating.
Do you honestly not see yourself downplaying New Orleans as a response to another poster downplaying Missouri? I say this because you consistently describe your experience here in a very limited and one-sided manor. Drunk this...party that. This is similar to when people describe Atlanta as chicken, beer, and krunk music. Its a gross misrepresentation.

I believe the people who have actually immersed themselves in the culture here are the ones you dissent from simply because they're experience was different, possibly better, than yours. There's a reason people "romanticize the Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana".

Now...if you just don't like New Orleans and prefer MO to South LA, cool! We all have our preferences. But lets not lend ourselves to hyperbole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Do you honestly not see yourself downplaying New Orleans as a response to another poster downplaying Missouri? I say this because you consistently describe your experience here in a very limited and one-sided manor. Drunk this...party that. This is similar to when people describe Atlanta as chicken, beer, and krunk music.

I believe the people who have actually immersed themselves in the culture here are the ones you dissent from simply because they're experience was different, probably better, than yours. Again, I say this because of the stereotypical ways you describe your perspective of New Orleans.
I mentioned drunk/party ONCE. How is that considered consistently? You're assuming I wasn't immersed in the culture for some reason, I guess because I wasn't as enamored with it as some are. Do you actually think that the majority of tourists do anything other than party there? That's a big reason for all of the tourism, but it wasn't normally my reason for being there. I only went to Mardi Gras once and Southern Decadence twice. My other visits were spent visiting friends, competing in athletic tournaments, and sightseeing and all that goes with it. I feel pretty confident in assessing a city I'm as familiar with as I am NO.

I have spent a lot of time in NO and am simply stating my opinion. The excitement wore off after the first couple of visits and by the 20th time it just wasn't there for me anymore. It's just another culture, like any other city, when you get right down to it. I'm not saying I hate NO or the culture there, but it's no more special than the culture other cities have to offer like St. Louis or KCMO.

But you're right about one thing - I don't like the way some people there tend to act as if their city is above most others and really condescend about a lack of culture/excitement in other cities. I have found much to enjoy everywhere I have been and have found other cities (St Louis and KCMO included) just as interesting as NO. I'm not trying to offend - sorry if I have.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,242,923 times
NoLa is one of the most unique cities in the entire nation. That's why I prefer it. To some people the easier way of life and Midwest are more appealing. But to say that NoLa is not unique is crazy. STL and KC are their own cities, but they're still Midwestern cities. Nothing over exciting about them. To me, the uniqueness and old world culture of NoLa makes it a city I'd prefer to live in. STL is trying to bring itself back to its glory days, but there's a lot to be done still. NoLa isn't a model city either. It has PLENTY of flaws. But the flaws are more unique and the culture is like no other.

And while I do enjoy grabbing a drink and enjoy the freedom of being able to walk around with it, it's not the only reason I like. I haven't blacked out and thrown up there. I actually appreciate the culture and dining scene an the liberalism and the people.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,061,344 times
Quote:
I mentioned drunk/party ONCE. How is that considered consistently? You're assuming I wasn't immersed in the culture for some reason, I guess because I wasn't as enamored with it as some are. Do you actually think that the majority of tourists do anything other than party there? That's a big reason for all of the tourism, but it wasn't normally my reason for being there. I only went to Mardi Gras once and Southern Decadence twice. My other visits were spent visiting friends, competing in athletic tournaments, and sightseeing and all that goes with it. I feel pretty confident in assessing a city I'm as familiar with as I am NO.

I have spent a lot of time in NO and am simply stating my opinion. The excitement wore off after the first couple of visits and by the 20th time it just wasn't there for me anymore. It's just another culture, like any other city, when you get right down to it. I'm not saying I hate NO or the culture there, but it's no more special than the culture other cities have to offer like St. Louis or KCMO.

But you're right about one thing - I don't like the way some people there tend to act as if their city is above most others and really condescend about a lack of culture/excitement in other cities. I have found much to enjoy everywhere I have been and have found other cities (St Louis and KCMO included) just as interesting as NO. I'm not trying to offend - sorry if I have.
Nope, not offended at all man...not my style. You're right, it was another poster who mentioned the whole "drunk partying" thing. My mistake. When you read or hear the same old cliches as often as we do, its easy to assume the poster doesn't know the city well enough outside of the Quarter/Mardi Gras/,etc.

As I mentioned before, I haven't visited Missouri and cannot compare the two areas. But I do understand if New Orleans simply isn't your preference.

Regarding the people you referenced in the end of your post; I believe that may be more of an online thing. In my experience, people here don't typically care to assert New Orleans as "above" other cities...unless they're not from here and are trying to fulfill a sense of self-worth and belonging...much like posters do on this site.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Nope, not offended at all man...not my style. You're right, it was another poster who mentioned the whole "drunk partying" thing. My mistake. When you read or hear the same old cliches as often as we do, its easy to assume the poster doesn't know the city well enough outside of the Quarter/Mardi Gras/,etc.

As I mentioned before, I haven't visited Missouri and cannot compare the two areas. But I do understand if New Orleans simply isn't your preference.

Regarding the people you referenced in the end of your post; I believe that may be more of an online thing. In my experience, people here don't typically care to assert New Orleans as "above" other cities...unless they're not from here and are trying to fulfill a sense of self-worth and belonging...much like posters do on this site.
It may be more of an online thing...most people I met in New Orleans were very nice and had that quintessential southern welcoming thing going on that people love. I didn't mean to sound like I hate NO, but I guess I got really used to it and it didn't seem as special anymore and I think the amount of crime and poverty there continued to surprise me every time I was there.

I tend to find special cultural things everywhere I go, so I appreciate all kinds of diverse places and hardly ever find any city "bland". But NO is very colorful, I will give it that...I always saw a definite parallel with Savannah on a smaller scale - unusual people with a style all their own.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:53 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,257,369 times
I think Louisiana has the edge over Missouri to me but I do love Kansas City. To me right now LA is creating more jobs and access to the water among other things just gives it that edge.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:21 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,654,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
NoLa is one of the most unique cities in the entire nation. That's why I prefer it. To some people the easier way of life and Midwest are more appealing. But to say that NoLa is not unique is crazy. STL and KC are their own cities, but they're still Midwestern cities. Nothing over exciting about them. To me, the uniqueness and old world culture of NoLa makes it a city I'd prefer to live in. STL is trying to bring itself back to its glory days, but there's a lot to be done still. NoLa isn't a model city either. It has PLENTY of flaws. But the flaws are more unique and the culture is like no other.

And while I do enjoy grabbing a drink and enjoy the freedom of being able to walk around with it, it's not the only reason I like. I haven't blacked out and thrown up there. I actually appreciate the culture and dining scene an the liberalism and the people.
Are you for real??? I've never seen someone who has already openly admitted that he doesn't really know much about the other cities keep comparing them.... seriously, how are you justifying continuing to talk about STL and KC when you've already stated you don't really know them?

Furthermore, what does your amusingly derogatory (seemingly) statement of, "they're still Midwestern cities" even mean? Are all Midwestern cities the same to you then? If so what is this idea in your head? Is N.O. just a Southern city? Nothing exciting huh? Having lived across the US and in several other countries I strongly disagree, St. Louis in particular is filled with fascinating, exciting, urban neighborhoods throughout the city. (since you've returned after you clarified your odd "suburban" comment I'll address this misconception shortly). Chicago is in the Midwest, is it boring and suburban as well?

I'll tell you from experience they are most certainly not all the same; heck, in this comparison are STL and KC which share the same state but are still very different from one another. Finally, having lived in N.O. and currently living in the "old world," this is getting played up way too much here; so is the uniqueness for that matter, but you've already stated you've never visited other places with a lot of créole influence so I digress...

Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Despite the size difference, both Seattle and Houston are still BIG cities in their own right and compare MUCH more favorably To each other than BR and KC ever will.

KC is a big city with big city attractions, infrastructure, corporate presence, and has the big city issues that come along with it.

BR is a slightly larger than mid sized state capital with LSU, Southern University, and some refineries. Not much else.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about How NO, Louisiana, and the Cajun culture/cuisine are infinitely cooler than bland STL, KC, and MO. That argument may have a couple of valid points. But to dismiss KC as being on ANY equal footing with BR is simply wrong. Point blank.

The mere presence of MLB and NFL puts KC on another level of national recognition and exposure that BR can't even touch. Even with LSU.

Let's NOT call a heart a spade here...

You can, however take solace in these two facts: BR actually compares to KC in crime despite being less than half our size, and No one will confuse Which state in Which BR is located....

In addition, No one has to sell Missouri for more than What it is (there is Plenty It's NOT). But Missouri sells itself exactly for What it is: a state in the middle of the country with two ACTUAL big cities with Plenty farms, "mountains," recreational reservoirs, and other theme Parks and attractions in between them.
I'm not shooting down MO at all. "Kansas City is a large city with a couple pro sports teams and CCP. Not much else." Anyone can do that.
You've mistaken me, I'm not saying that anything about Baton Rouge is better than KC, but that they are comparable. Even the national exposure can be compared, LSU football games have high ratings nationally too. I can't remember seeing either receiving any substantial amounts of exposure.

It's incredibly hard to sell Missouri for more than it is.
Quote:
People tend to idolize or romanticize the Cajun/Creole culture of Louisiana and tend to build it up to be a little more that it actually is. It's a fun place to visit and a colorful cultural area, but it's no better than St. Louis or KCM in my opinion. It's a great place to get drunk and fall down, then you wake up and realize it was just a pig with lipstick. I have had some great times in NO, but it's nothing greater than anywhere else. When people call other places "bland" by comparison it's just irritating.
Well there's a reason people don't romanticize Lake City, FL....

You say you've been all over NO but you only mention tourist activities? And there's no Cajun culture in New Orleans, have you ever been to any other towns?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not shooting down MO at all. "Kansas City is a large city with a couple pro sports teams and CCP. Not much else." Anyone can do that.
You've mistaken me, I'm not saying that anything about Baton Rouge is better than KC, but that they are comparable. Even the national exposure can be compared, LSU football games have high ratings nationally too. I can't remember seeing either receiving any substantial amounts of exposure.
Kansas City and Baton Rouge are not good comparisons. Kansas City is a much larger city and in a higher tier.

Quote:
To you that may be true. For the millions of visitors that come to Missouri, annually, I think they are sold.

Quote:

You say you've been all over NO but you only mention tourist activities? And there's no Cajun culture in New Orleans, have you ever been to any other towns?
Cajun Culture in New Orleans

Cajuns and Creoles | Experience New Orleans!

Louisiana's Traditional Cultures: An Overview

Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 PM

638 posts, read 616,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

So you can watch a bunch of 18-22 year olds play football in Baton Rouge. Meanwhile in KC, you can see them all grown up!

As for sports teams receiving exposure, well; the Royals made the WS last year, and the NFL>CFB. Its also nice to have the loudest stadium in America and a loyal fanbase throughout Missouri.

KC is alot more than twice as large as Baton Rouge. What does Baton Rouge have that actually one-ups Kansas City or even puts it in the same category? Kansas City is the much larger city so it would be nice to see some ways in which Baton Rouge actually competes with KC aside from proximity to beaches. Kansas City is so underrated nationally.

Its good that Missouri sells itself for what it is. That way tourists know what to expect. Whats the point of hyping yourself up and setting tourists up for disappointment? I live in Missouri; we have cities, lakes, mountains, farms, rivers, rolling hills, pleasant suburbs, sports, culture, history. We accept it for what it is; we do not pretend to be California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City