U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 8,767 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from the NYC area where I have lived a long time. I am 49 years old, single, no kids, 2 small dogs, work as an HR Director in hospitality however looking to start my own business but still figuring out what that might be so I have to work.

I have lived in Seattle for a few years and loved that size of the city, had enough to do but not overwhelming, had transportation but can use a car (I have a car). I just hated the rain. I have also lived in Portland, same feeling as Seattle but may have been too small for me at the time (10 years ago).

Looking for:

*Sun - at least more than NYC or Seattle. Don't mind a mild change in seasons, just don't like humidity (like east coast) or too dark and cold for too long.

*Mid-size city - livable, has transportation but I can also use a car (a car in NYC is a nightmare)

*I don't need to live downtown, but don't like the suburb feeling either - like to live in a walkable type neighborhood, but not like Bleecker street in Greenwich village or Haight/Ash - where it's way too crowded, loud and expensive

*Concerned that living in Oakland will mean I have to work in SF - not crazy about that idea - commute and back in the rat race again like NYC

*I do like outdoors and nature, although not a heavy outdoor skier, biker, kayak, etc. Like running, hiking and parks

*I know all these cities are going to have somewhat expensive rent, I am looking to change careers and get out of the "corporate world" and don't want to spend all my time working and commuting to make a big salary to afford my rent, and thus never work on myself or spending time starting some sort of business or getting into another career. Hope this makes sense, basically, don't want a massive rent overhead

*I do not have a job yet in any city, prefer to find the place to live I like but do have to get a job

*Like outdoor bbq's, brewpubs, low key get togethers, not looking for the coolest, trendiest bars and restaurants where the "in" crowd hangs out. Not my scene.

*People - wherever people are not as rushed and rude as NYC. NYC makes people hard, prefer a friendly environment.

*Not looking to spend half my day commuting to and from work.

I'd throw Austin in there, but visited it for a couple days and it felt quite small. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but a city the size of Seattle or possibly Portland is a better fit.

I know this is a long post and tall order but really looking for some input, if you could kindly state "why" in your response, I would be very grateful!

Thank you!

Last edited by avamarie123; 06-07-2015 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: title change - add relocation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 10:39 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,176,597 times
San Diego. San Diego is laid back and is a large city with a smaller town feel. You never feel overwhelmed by San Diego. Also within San Diego County you have access to any outdoors related activity you can imagine. There is also a nice variety of temperatures and climates as you have coastal, inland, valley, and desert all within the county. There are mountains, lakes, and of course miles and miles of beach. The weather is temperate almost year around so you can enjoy hiking and running the entire year.

Also, the city is walkable, but not as walker friendly as a place like San Francisco though. As far as brewpubs and low key get togethers, SD scratches that itch if you are into it. There is a pretty large craft beer scene here and there are plenty of bars and pubs, and the ones on the coast can have beautiful scenery as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or