Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Really? Wow, LA used to be underrated for that. The time is gone from when I was little.

Great to hear. Let's hope LA trends lower.
Yeah, I think they all left. I know there was a GM (?) Plant in Van Nuys that was a big deal when it closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
My wife is an attorney and it seems like business is booming (though her niche is pretty recession proof). She is constantly being recruited. It's definitely a nice change from 2008 when I had to work at a coffee shop and temp office positions just to pay rent - and that was in Boston, a city that most consider an economically stable/strong city.
I'm guessing your wife is in bankruptcies or foreclosures? (only kidding, but they WERE doing well in 2008). I graduated college in 2010, and the job market was utter trash. I bounced around from office to office all around Northern and Southern California trying to find work, until I found my current job in 2011 as a paralegal. Since my folks were gracious enough to let me live at home, I took advantage of that to save money on rent.

It was a great time to go back to school, and my job has been nice enough to let me come back after my first year and let me set my own schedule. It's been pretty smooth sailing since.

I'm glad things are working out for you! Everyone I know seems to be doing relatively well now, even my friends who stuck around in construction.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,285 times
Quote:
Yes, that would have been great. It should be noted that LA County hardly rejected Measure J, as it got something like 66% of the vote -2/3 of the vote is needed to pass a new tax in CA with few exceptions.
Yeah I heard it was very close, but no cigar. I think they should try again, at least the speed up the construction of the gold and purple lines, and do something about the LAX connection.
Quote:
Yeah, I think they all left. I know there was a GM (?) Plant in Van Nuys that was a big deal when it closed.
An era gone by. GM and Ford I think had a huge presence in Greater Los Angeles for years too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City