Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
If you're using a CSA please indicate that on the list. Baltimore added over 20,000.
Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:47 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Looks like LA's unemployment rate is down to 7.7%. It was close to 9% this time last year. So things seem to be improving.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Looks like LA's unemployment rate is down to 7.7%. It was close to 9% this time last year. So things seem to be improving.
It's at 6.4%, IE is at 6.2%:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM

128 posts, read 267,806 times
The Utah cities are doing really well!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah, I lucked out. I'm in the legal field, and after 2008, things went really south. The firm I'm working for right now was starting to downsize, but for some reason, my boss liked me enough to keep me around. Now that clients are paying their bills again, my office has become full of support staff and we're still looking for people to hire.

Insane what a few years can do I feel for my blue-collar friends though, but most found work relatively quickly. I knew way too many people living off unemployment. It was pretty depressing, especially as a millennial trying to get their life of the ground. Hope I never have to see that again.
My wife is an attorney and it seems like business is booming (though her niche is pretty recession proof). She is constantly being recruited. It's definitely a nice change from 2008 when I had to work at a coffee shop and temp office positions just to pay rent - and that was in Boston, a city that most consider an economically stable/strong city.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
You're just now getting that? It's been happening for at least the last 15 years.
The two cities will probably jockey for the pole position in CA forever. It's okay, it's a healthy competition.

And actually I think that Los Angeles has done a lot to improve its standing - a huge bike plan being implemented and bike sharing programs are planned, the most massive public works project in the country in the Metro expansion, updating the zoning plan throughout the city, the LA River revitalization (perhaps the biggest game-changer since Measure R or the subway system). LA is a city with a ton of problems, but there are people trying to fix some of them, and not just Garcetti.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's at 6.4%, IE is at 6.2%:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Touche. I just did a Google Search. Bad data I guess.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Income is much higher in the Bay Area than LA, per capita GDP is around $90k if you combine SF and SJ, compared to just $60k in LA. Total market capitalization of Bay Area companies is also higher than LA. SF/Silicon Valley feels much more important than LA these days.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Income is much higher in the Bay Area than LA, per capita GDP is around $90k if you combine SF and SJ, compared to just $60k in LA. Total market capitalization of Bay Area companies is also higher than LA. SF/Silicon Valley feels much more important than LA these days.
Without a doubt, LA is an afterthought in CA nowadays, I sometimes feel ashamed telling people that I grew up in that cesspool.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The two cities will probably jockey for the pole position in CA forever. It's okay, it's a healthy competition.

And actually I think that Los Angeles has done a lot to improve its standing - a huge bike plan being implemented and bike sharing programs are planned, the most massive public works project in the country in the Metro expansion, updating the zoning plan throughout the city, the LA River revitalization (perhaps the biggest game-changer since Measure R or the subway system). LA is a city with a ton of problems, but there are people trying to fix some of them, and not just Garcetti.
Plus the NFL is trying to get not one but two teams into Los Angeles. I wish Measure J had passed. The Purple Line would be going to the pacific rather then stopping in Westwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Without a doubt, LA is an afterthought in CA nowadays, I sometimes feel ashamed telling people that I grew up in that cesspool.
There is a lot more poor in LA for sure, but LA does not have a dominant industry anymore, they film things in Vancouver now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City