U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times

Advertisements

Hey!
I recently moved to Boulder from Ventura County for many reasons including: cooler weather (with seasons you get climate change, which I equated with cooler weather), more green, more opportunities for backpacking/hiking, less crowded (I had hoped), mindfulness, people who were more around my age (25), being around "educated" people (educated being a loose term that describes anyone who thinks and continues to progress as a human being, and continues to learn), and being in a like-minded community. I am finished with my undergraduate studies and am considering doctorate work, but would not want to attend CU Boulder. What I have discovered is that it is crowded (lots of congestion on the streets), lots of judgmental yuppies, and a lot of people my age who are still in the drinking/ college scene. I feel like living in the city tends to get in the way of the peace of mind I get in the mountains.
Things I desire in a place: close to mountain ranges with many miles of trails, green (pine trees), mindful/sustainable people, space/less crowds, weather that keep the area green but don't get in the way of my outdoor activities, nearby skiing would be awesome, healthy grocery stores, dog-friendly, fitness-oriented, and somewhat of a community feel.
My question is: Does Eugene, OR have what I desire without the yuppiness? Or is Boulder just a one-of-a-kind place in terms of location and I simply have to deal with crowds of yuppies?
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerchant View Post
Hey!
I recently moved to Boulder from Ventura County for many reasons including: cooler weather (with seasons you get climate change, which I equated with cooler weather), more green, more opportunities for backpacking/hiking, less crowded (I had hoped), mindfulness, people who were more around my age (25), being around "educated" people (educated being a loose term that describes anyone who thinks and continues to progress as a human being, and continues to learn), and being in a like-minded community. I am finished with my undergraduate studies and am considering doctorate work, but would not want to attend CU Boulder. What I have discovered is that it is crowded (lots of congestion on the streets), lots of judgmental yuppies, and a lot of people my age who are still in the drinking/ college scene. I feel like living in the city tends to get in the way of the peace of mind I get in the mountains.
Things I desire in a place: close to mountain ranges with many miles of trails, green (pine trees), mindful/sustainable people, space/less crowds, weather that keep the area green but don't get in the way of my outdoor activities, nearby skiing would be awesome, healthy grocery stores, dog-friendly, fitness-oriented, and somewhat of a community feel.
My question is: Does Eugene, OR have what I desire without the yuppiness? Or is Boulder just a one-of-a-kind place in terms of location and I simply have to deal with crowds of yuppies?
You'd be better off going to the Oregon section, but from my knowledge, which is limited, Eugene is more hippy than yuppy, but it does have everything you want. Within 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours you are at incredibly beautiful coastline, and there are some incredibly lush forests are all around Eugene, but they are really special on the coast, not that you'd have time to visit often since you'd be in a doctoral program, but it is really nice, especially the Bandon area (and south of there which I never got a chance to visit, but researched plenty) and the Heceta Head area.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,511,398 times
Eugene is a much less pretentious version of Boulder. But it's also not near as fancy as Boulder. It has all the things you asked for and the Yuppie faction is much smaller. However, the trail system in Eugene is a bit different. Instead of being able to access the trails into the mountains right from town you will need to drive a little ways to get into the mountain network of trails. Eugene offers better trails in town than Boulder and has a nice rim trail in the hills that goes to the Butte south of town.

Boulder is really upscale. Eugene seems more like a regular place in that regard.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,496 times
Eugene is beautiful and green all year round. The outdoor life is amazing and varied. The people are genuine. It rarely snows. I lived in an affordable apartment at the top of a butte, bordering National forest. The bus system is very efficient. I got by with just a bicycle for three years. The two drawback are high unemployment and lots of drizzling rain. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Eugene.

Boulder is beautiful and fun and has a great young vibe and good employment. Although salaries tend to be low. The Pearl Street Mall is a happening place. But the crowds and entitlement attitude wear on you. It's too expensive and hard to make genuine friends. The weather is good, although it does snow a lot in the winter.

The education is about equal. I didn't experience a party culture in Eugene.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:53 AM

80 posts, read 79,476 times
Boulder is one of those mountain cities that leaves a spectacular first impression. There is just something about the setting, the Front Range, and the vibe of the city itself that is really special. I agree with some other posters here that the attitudes of entitlement -- especially from the trust fund babies who move in from the East Coast -- can wear thin. The people in Denver are way more relaxed and fun in my opinion. But that doesn't make Boulder any less unique.

Eugene is the oddest city. It has some of the worst urban planning of any city. Its architecture is typical or even worse than mid-sized Pacific Northwest mill towns. Its valley location puts you a bit out (roughly an hour) from the famous Oregon coastline or Cascade Mountains. It definitely has an air quality and allergies problem because of its geography. Its football stadium is not actually downtown, but requires a 15 minute walk north from the University of Oregon across a major river and public park. Plus the town's west side is scrappy to say the least. And yet, Eugene has some extraordinarily interesting and fun people as well as super-scenic outdoor locations, not to mention some amazing bars, restaurants and shops. Also, south Eugene and in particular the south hills into wine country are just gorgeous in their own right. Unlike Boulder's trustafarians, Eugene has real hippies, specifically the friends and family members of Ken Kesey.

If you are wealthy or have allergies/asthma, choose Boulder! Otherwise, Eugene has more soul and is probably a better place to grow into.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,714,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerchant View Post
Hey!
Have you thought about other locations besides C U-Boulder and Eugene? I suppose it would depend on your major and what universities offered it.

I opened your thread as I've looked at another advanced degree. Unfortunately, CSU is the only program in the U.S. to have added additional time doing very specialized clinical work. For me, I'd pick the location based on educational goals. However, if your degree is granted by enough universities you have more options than just Boulder and Eugene.

MSR

Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
I live in Eugene and I actually don't see how it's a boutique town. It's more happening than Salem for sure, but I think it's a fairly ordinary city. I'd probably compare it more to Madison than to Asheville or Boulder.

It's not a bad place to live though!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Eugene is the oddest city. It has some of the worst urban planning of any city. Its architecture is typical or even worse than mid-sized Pacific Northwest mill towns. Its valley location puts you a bit out (roughly an hour) from the famous Oregon coastline or Cascade Mountains. It definitely has an air quality and allergies problem because of its geography. Its football stadium is not actually downtown, but requires a 15 minute walk north from the University of Oregon across a major river and public park. Plus the town's west side is scrappy to say the least. And yet, Eugene has some extraordinarily interesting and fun people as well as super-scenic outdoor locations, not to mention some amazing bars, restaurants and shops. Also, south Eugene and in particular the south hills into wine country are just gorgeous in their own right. Unlike Boulder's trustafarians, Eugene has real hippies, specifically the friends and family members of Ken Kesey.
Perfect description.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:11 PM

11,471 posts, read 25,695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Have you thought about other locations besides C U-Boulder and Eugene? I suppose it would depend on your major and what universities offered it.

I opened your thread as I've looked at another advanced degree. Unfortunately, CSU is the only program in the U.S. to have added additional time doing very specialized clinical work. For me, I'd pick the location based on educational goals. However, if your degree is granted by enough universities you have more options than just Boulder and Eugene.

MSR
What other options were you thinking?

Old 06-14-2015, 02:06 PM

616 posts, read 477,715 times
Boulder had Mork and Mindy---Eugene had Ken Kesey and John Belushi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or