U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which location provides better weather for traditional summer activities?
Coastal Southern California 47 75.81%
The Jersey Shore (NOT the TV show) 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Reputation: 11185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Jersey Shore for warmer Ocean temps and warmer nights, fireflies and thunderstorms. Although for Summer "activities" Southern Cali is almost perfect everyday while the Jersey Shore could have rainy days once in a while. I'm not really a fan of Summer nights in California though.

The rest of the year would probably go to Southern Cali.
California doesn't have fireflies??? What the fudge? That's one of the best things about summer. I was going to vote SoCal but this alone changes my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 13,306,784 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
California doesn't have fireflies??? What the fudge? That's one of the best things about summer. I was going to vote SoCal but this alone changes my mind.
Never seen one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,163,501 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
California doesn't have fireflies??? What the fudge? That's one of the best things about summer. I was going to vote SoCal but this alone changes my mind.
Haha...sarcasm.

However, fireflies are indeed cool and a memorable part of summer for any kid who grew up with them.

But yeah, I wouldn't exactly rank 'em in the top 10....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What's wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 AM
 
11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Reputation: 16275
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What's wrong?
Well, we aren't talking about the whole "East Coast" here, we are talking about the Jersey Shore in particular. The coastal strip of land with a summer breeze that dilutes humidity, and even makes it a bit chilly at night, and makes it one of the best places to be in the sumer - the immediate coast in general, not just in NJ… which I pointed out in my first post on the first page.

The "entire East Coast is humid" misconception is possibly one of the most frustrating ones out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 AM
 
11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Reputation: 16275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Haha...sarcasm.

However, fireflies are indeed cool and a memorable part of summer for any kid who grew up with them.

But yeah, I wouldn't exactly rank 'em in the top 10....
Except Bajan did actually vote for the Jersey Shore.

I don't recall ever really seeing fireflies at the beach around here. I see them all the time at home. I think they're more common inland, not right at the coast. They are pretty though at night. As a kid I always caught them in jars and kept them overnight. They would be dead in the morning… oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Except Bajan did actually vote for the Jersey Shore.
I was being a little sarcastic when I said fireflies (or lack thereof) completely changed my mind.

In all seriousness, I prefer the Jersey Shore because humidity keeps the air warmer. Humidity can be a good thing in the right situations. When I was on the West Coast, perfect day time temps gave way to chilly nights, and I wasn't feeling that so much. I prefer warmer nights. The perfect setup would be Cali days with East Coast nights, but since I have to choose, I'll always take a perfect night over a perfect day. It's nice when you can get both on the East Coast but those days are rare (and usually around this time of year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't recall ever really seeing fireflies at the beach around here. I see them all the time at home. I think they're more common inland, not right at the coast. They are pretty though at night. As a kid I always caught them in jars and kept them overnight. They would be dead in the morning… oops.
I feel like summer hasn't arrived until those buggers are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
 
11,898 posts, read 9,624,570 times
Reputation: 16275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was being a little sarcastic when I said fireflies (or lack thereof) completely changed my mind.

In all seriousness, I prefer the Jersey Shore because humidity keeps the air warmer. Humidity can be a good thing in the right situations. When I was on the West Coast, perfect day time temps gave way to chilly nights, and I wasn't feeling that so much. I prefer warmer nights. The perfect setup would be Cali days with East Coast nights, but since I have to choose, I'll always take a perfect night over a perfect day. It's nice when you can get both on the East Coast but those days are rare (and usually around this time of year).
Haha I did get that! For some people it does mean quintessential summer though. It's one of those nostalgic, comforting things.

I mean there is humidity at the shore it's just not that severe because of the breeze. There are good and bad days, though. It's generally very tolerable, and a little heat on the beach is nice because you can cool off in the water and not freeze if it's a little cool. Nothing's worse than getting out of the water to cool air.

Last edited by nei; 06-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,602 posts, read 3,471,571 times
Reputation: 7803
California gets my vote. Not as not, not as humid either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 PM
 
1,707 posts, read 948,567 times
Reputation: 985
Ironically enough, I was out in Main St. Santa Monica last night and it was rainy, hot, and humid. No jacket required. Very unlike traditional Socal summer weather. I've grown to actually appreciate humidity and warm nights. Loved it!

Back to topic, I said SoCal because the Jersey Shore is not as accessable in the summer. The beach hotels are expensive, highway traffic is generally insane all the time, the bars are meat markets and have cover charges, and you have to pay to use the beach.

Socal has FREE beaches, bike paths, and a higher ratio of bars and restaurants per waterfront areas. Jersey has a slight advantage of weather though, unless it's a rainy summer that dampers outdoor activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top