Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location provides better weather for traditional summer activities?
Coastal Southern California 47 73.44%
The Jersey Shore (NOT the TV show) 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,270 times

Advertisements

New Jersey by a mile. Higher temperatures, higher dewpoints, and it gets thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Ironically enough, I was out in Main St. Santa Monica last night and it was rainy, hot, and humid. No jacket required. Very unlike traditional Socal summer weather. I've grown to actually appreciate humidity and warm nights. Loved it!

Back to topic, I said SoCal because the Jersey Shore is not as accessable in the summer. The beach hotels are expensive, highway traffic is generally insane all the time, the bars are meat markets and have cover charges, and you have to pay to use the beach.

Socal has FREE beaches, bike paths, and a higher ratio of bars and restaurants per waterfront areas. Jersey has a slight advantage of weather though, unless it's a rainy summer that dampers outdoor activities.
We are undergoing a "warm summer epoch" where warm rain/balmy nights/and dewpoints over 70 F are becoming more common here but it's temporary. Last summer we had several such episodes but they were later in summer; This year, we get one in early June meaning this summer will likely be warmer and more humid than average. In the summer of 2016, we will return to our typical L.A. summer weather of June Gloom at the beaches and cold nights paired with hot, dry days inland with the words "warm rain" being an oxymoron. Enjoy this "warm summer epoch" while it lasts.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 06-10-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Ironically enough, I was out in Main St. Santa Monica last night and it was rainy, hot, and humid. No jacket required. Very unlike traditional Socal summer weather. I've grown to actually appreciate humidity and warm nights. Loved it!

Back to topic, I said SoCal because the Jersey Shore is not as accessable in the summer. The beach hotels are expensive, highway traffic is generally insane all the time, the bars are meat markets and have cover charges, and you have to pay to use the beach.

Socal has FREE beaches, bike paths, and a higher ratio of bars and restaurants per waterfront areas. Jersey has a slight advantage of weather though, unless it's a rainy summer that dampers outdoor activities.
Ehh, traffic is only bad on weekends and holidays - basically if July 4th falls NOT on a weekend. Otherwise, it's fine. And even on weekends, if you leave for the beach early and come back late - so spend the whole day on the beach/boardwalk, you also don't hit nearly as much traffic. I'm going to the beach tomorrow actually (I know tomorrow is Thursday and not a weekend). We're leaving at 9:30, will probably leave to come home around 3 or 4. It'll be fine.

There are also free beaches in NJ. Most notably, and popularly because it's a major destination, Wildwood. But yes you pay for most - but don't be fooled. No beach, or anywhere that requires maintenance, is truly free. Our beaches are among the cleanest in the country, same with the water here. Beaches are well taken care of.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
no beach, or anywhere that requires maintenance, is truly free. Our beaches are among the cleanest in the country, same with the water here. Beaches are well taken care of.
You're so used to packed, expensive Jersey beaches that you don't understand what goes on everywhere else, and maybe you assume that it's the same? It's not. There are tons of beaches that are free to me (which is all I care about). City parks, county parks, state parks (not free, I suppose, but around $20 covers the entire year and the dozens of parks around the state)....and if you want to factor out any taxes I may have paid towards them, I also go to beaches in Michigan that are free that I've also not been taxed on. I'm not aware of a single "beach club" (like in NJ) or paid admission spot in the entire state of Wisconsin.

It's just a fact - Jersey beaches are very nice, but they are also in the most-populated region of the country, so they're at a premium and they cost dollars to use. The really nice spots cost quite a bit.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Atlantic City and Wildwood, NJ beaches are free, and they're fine.

My parents pay $20 per year for a beach tag in Sea Isle City, NJ (per person though) and I agree with Jerseygirl that they keep the beach very clean. The people that walk the beach to randomly ask for beachtags are usually about 14-16 years old and don't care either way if you have one or not..My parents buy them but I rarely remember to bring one when I visit.

The BEST Month down the Jersey Shore is September anyway-when ALL the beaches are free (and almost empty) yet the water is still at it's warmest and the weather still in the 80s.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
We are undergoing a "warm summer epoch" where warm rain/balmy nights/and dewpoints over 70 F are becoming more common here but it's temporary. Last summer we had several such episodes but they were later in summer; This year, we get one in early June meaning this summer will likely be warmer and more humid than average. In the summer of 2016, we will return to our typical L.A. summer weather of June Gloom at the beaches and cold nights paired with hot, dry days inland with the words "warm rain" being an oxymoron. Enjoy this "warm summer epoch" while it lasts.
I definitely will. I recall this kind of "warm summer epoch" in late July/early August last year. This will be the trend for most of the summer then?

A huge contrast from earlier this year. January-April was mostly in the 70s and May felt like we were living in New England -- rainy and cold. Lows in the 50s and highs hovering around 65. What was up with that?? Super weird.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Charging to use a beach? That's such a bizarre concept to me. Comes off as a bit discriminatory to low income people as well imo.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ehh, traffic is only bad on weekends and holidays - basically if July 4th falls NOT on a weekend. Otherwise, it's fine. And even on weekends, if you leave for the beach early and come back late - so spend the whole day on the beach/boardwalk, you also don't hit nearly as much traffic. I'm going to the beach tomorrow actually (I know tomorrow is Thursday and not a weekend). We're leaving at 9:30, will probably leave to come home around 3 or 4. It'll be fine.

There are also free beaches in NJ. Most notably, and popularly because it's a major destination, Wildwood. But yes you pay for most - but don't be fooled. No beach, or anywhere that requires maintenance, is truly free. Our beaches are among the cleanest in the country, same with the water here. Beaches are well taken care of.
Agree to disagree with a lot of your points.

First, the NJ beaches are not the cleanest. They are not dirty like parts of the Santa Monica Bay, but the water is not clean like NC or Florida. And there are parts of the shore that are very polluted still (Sandy Hook.)

Also the traffic thing is a lie. It's usually awful for all days for the weekend and there routinely can be traffic on the parkway and toll roads at 10pm on a Sunday night. And I'm not into the "plan a whole day" at the beach thing. I'm not waking up the crack of dawn to avoid Jersey drivers and staying until midnight for the roads to clear. The best thing to do is find someone who has a house or a rental and stay several nights. Not to mention most areas to the shore are going to be a 60-100 mile round trip with lots of tolls. Goes back to my point about accessability.

I know the stereotype is that NJ beaches are consistently dirty no matter where you go and I disagree with that statement as well. There are some very nice beaches in NJ but overall (and for what you are paying day rates for) the experience is below average. Very crowded, narrow shorelines, lack of parking, trashy boardwalks etc. It's more of a low class slash blue collar tradition than anything else -- except a few yuppie slash party beaches like Spring Lake, Manasquan, Belmar etc. Asbury Park is up and coming but still has a ways to go.

I agree with CheesePlate. Problem with NJ beaches are they are too crowded for their own good. Parking is also huge issue as well. But the biggest caveat with the Jersey Shore are lack of affordable lodging options come summer. You will either be ripped off by staying in overpriced run down motels or paying through the nose for a beach rental. I'm still shocked after all these years that more chain hotels haven't opened up.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Atlantic City and Wildwood, NJ beaches are free, and they're fine.
en ALL the beaches are free (and almost empty) yet the water is still at it's warmest and the weather still in the 80s.
Nahhhh I wouldn't go that far. I can go a whole lifetime without ever hearing "WATCH THE TRAM CAR PLEASE!" ever again. AC is more depressing than anything else. Go there for gambling, not the beach.

I was down in Cocoa Beach, FL last week. Water temp was already 84. Went online and compared it: Jersey Shore water temp was still in the mid-60s, LA beaches were hovering around 70.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Nahhhh I wouldn't go that far. I can go a whole lifetime without ever hearing "WATCH THE TRAM CAR PLEASE!" ever again. AC is more depressing than anything else. Go there for gambling, not the beach.

I was down in Cocoa Beach, FL last week. Water temp was already 84. Went online and compared it: Jersey Shore water temp was still in the mid-60s, LA beaches were hovering around 70.
Haha "watch the tram car". I actually took the day off yesterday and took my dog to Wildwood -one of the few beaches that allow dogs in the Summer. The water was pretty refreshing-think it was 67 and was 80 outside.
It still would have been better to go today since its 95 and humid.

Now that I think of it maybe there are too many rules and restrictions on the Jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City