U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location provides better weather for traditional summer activities?
Coastal Southern California 47 75.81%
The Jersey Shore (NOT the TV show) 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:53 PM

11,831 posts, read 9,842,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure why anyone would expect warm nights in Oct outside of Florida or the Deep South...

Either way the avg low in Oct is 61 in SD, higher than most places.
True but the nights even in Philly in early October seem like they'd be warmer than San Diego -especially if there is a long "Indian summer".

Granted by late October the weather is warmer in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM

6,220 posts, read 8,372,752 times
How is this a question? SoCal is pretty much perfect weather however boring weather for all sorts of outdoor activities. Most people prefer that. Being born and raised east of the Mississippi River however I like the greenery, I like the rain, I like the thunderstorms, and I like the smell of summer you get on a humid day.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:57 PM

11,901 posts, read 9,633,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How is this a question? SoCal is pretty much perfect weather however boring weather for all sorts of outdoor activities. Most people prefer that. Being born and raised east of the Mississippi River however I like the greenery, I like the rain, I like the thunderstorms, and I like the smell of summer you get on a humid day.
I assume the OP was trying to stir up drama, given coastal Southern California's near perfect image and the Jersey Shore's not so perfect image (mostly thanks to the show). This is why I'm trying to go into detail about what the NJ shore is actually like here… It doesn't surprise me at all that people are basing their posts/opinions off stereotypes.

I bet most of the people voting/posting have never even been to the Jersey Shore - maybe coastal CA, too.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:09 PM

1,708 posts, read 949,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Tell that to New Hampshire, whose residents are probably proud of their beaches, love going to them, and love living at or near them.
They don't. They either use lakefront beaches for boating (e.g.: Weir's Beach) or go to Cape Cod. NH is very tied to MA in terms of residents splitting their time in both states during the summer. But the NH shoreline is NOT wide received.

Quote:
The survey? I can't find the news article, it is now two years old.
It seems they listed beaches. This wasn't some sort of ranking or countdown. Plus several of the beaches they mentioned are right next to each other (40th Street)

At best, this is a tabloid measurement of measuring beach safety. Rodale makes "Men's Health" and "Runners" magazine. Not exactly a credible source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodale,_Inc.

Perhaps a ranking by the EPA would be better? :think

Here is a list of the 10 most polluted NJ beaches (like your source, periodical based). Wildwood is listed on multiple occasions.

The List: Ten Worst New Jersey Beaches for Water Pollution - NJ Spotlight

Quote:
First, I'm not "covering up" anything. There's nothing to cover up. I'm speaking from experience. Second, when you say "gridlock" on the "big long highway toll road," are you referring to the Parkway? Because if so, again not sure how long ago you lived here, but they have added lanes at the shore points and changed some exits around, and improved tolls so those with EZPass (so pretty much everyone) can go through high-speed sensor lanes.
Yeah, I really don't care about the proper nomenclature of Jersey highways & toll roads. That's such a minor point.

Those lanes have been there for 10+ years and have proved only effective in certain areas (since they only built them at the beginning of the Shore Cities extension southbound).

If you note once you get off the large bridge (sorry, can't remember the name) that crosses from The Brunswick's/Perth Amboy to the Sayreville area, there are decent high speed sensor areas.

As you go south (past PNC Arts center) those high number of lanes disappear and that's where the traffic bottles up in heavy amounts.

Every night there is a bottle next on where the Parkway merges with 287-N. Yes, people are coming back from the shore even then.

Still up for debate that I lived in NJ?

Quote:
The majority of beach towns in New Jersey are quiet and safe, not rowdy with a bunch of partiers and drunk idiots. What about Seaside Park, Spring Lake, Ocean Grove, Manasquan, Deal, all of LBI (so Surf City, Beach Haven, Loveladies, Barnegat Light, Long Beach, Ship Bottom, Harvey Cedars), Cape May, Bay Head, Normandy Beach, Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Bright, Loch Arbour, Avon, Bradley Beach, Sea Girt, Mantoloking, Ortley, Brigantine? I could go on.
Actually quite a few of those beaches have their fair share of drunk idiots and partiers. The Jersey Shore is quite uniform when it comes to the dive bar trash bars it presents.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 PM

12,251 posts, read 6,641,760 times
Quote:
A summer without rain is my worst nightmare. My favorite summer location is Florida, and NJ is definitely closer to that than California.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:18 PM

Here's a cool map of how to judge how clean your beach is. Provided by Smithsonian:

America's Cleanest

NJ and Socal are on par with one another. Particularly bad for NJ around Tom's River, and around Redondo Beach for LA county.

I looked up San Francisco and I'm shocked at how dirty the beaches are up there!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It seems they listed beaches. This wasn't some sort of ranking or countdown. Plus several of the beaches they mentioned are right next to each other (40th Street)
Well, I know that they list beaches. Like I said, I couldn't find the two year old article stating that NH ranked first and NJ second. But I'm pretty sure it came from, or at least was also reported on, NJ.com - our official news site for the state. I would be surprised, actually, if they didn't report info like that.

Quote:
At best, this is a tabloid measurement of measuring beach safety. Rodale makes "Men's Health" and "Runners" magazine. Not exactly a credible source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodale,_Inc.

Perhaps a ranking by the EPA would be better? :think
The article states that the source is the NRDC and the EPA's newest guidelines were followed in determining these rankings. As I quoted. These rankings were't pulled from nowhere, made up by the author of the article - they were pulled from the NRDC. As the article states, which I quoted. The article links the report directly to the NRDC's website. Rodale is reporting on a report.

Quote:
Here is a list of the 10 most polluted NJ beaches (like your source, periodical based). Wildwood is listed on multiple occasions.

The List: Ten Worst New Jersey Beaches for Water Pollution - NJ Spotlight
So your response is a very biased article with the worst quality beaches? Fair. I can do the same for California or any other state. All states have beaches with water in areas of less than good quality. I imagine a lot of it depends on drainage - which rivers/bays are draining into the ocean at which beach/town, and which beaches aren't near runoff sources. Actually, when one of my friends from Orange County who moved to New York came to Seaside Park with me one day, she walked onto the beach and said, "Wow. It's so clean." Either she didn't expect it to be clean (listening to stereotypes) or she is not used to clean beaches.

Quote:
Yeah, I really don't care about the proper nomenclature of Jersey highways & toll roads. That's such a minor point.
You can't say "that one highway has so much traffic, the whole Jersey Shore is inaccessible" and not tell me what you're talking about, especially considering multiple highways lead you to the beaches. Well, you CAN - but it looks lazy and as if you're pulling info out of your a**. And if it's such a minor point, why did you bring it up in the first place?

Quote:
Those lanes have been there for 10+ years and have proved only effective in certain areas (since they only built them at the beginning of the Shore Cities extension southbound).
They very recently have done more construction around Brick, widening the highway and changing exit locations, adding exits. It's still not done.

Quote:
If you note once you get off the large bridge (sorry, can't remember the name) that crosses from The Brunswick's/Perth Amboy to the Sayreville area, there are decent high speed sensor areas.

As you go south (past PNC Arts center) those high number of lanes disappear and that's where the traffic bottles up in heavy amounts.
The Driscoll Bridge. No, there are the EZPass sensor lanes on Parkway North leaving Asbury Park around exit 102, too. Not sure about further south. I haven't ventured that way in a few months, I can't recall if they exist further south, too. Hopefully, over the years they will be adding those sensor lances to all toll plazas. I can't see why they wouldn't. It makes sense they put them into the highest-traffic areas first, though. They make passing through the toll so much easier. I mean, you don't even have to slow a bit. It's great.

Quote:
Every night there is a bottle next on where the Parkway merges with 287-N. Yes, people are coming back from the shore even then.
Every night? Like rush hour? If so, well yes there is traffic from one major highway merging onto another. Even in the winter, there is occasional traffic on the Parkway interchanges leading to the Turnpike. I don't think it's a summer beach thing as much as it's a large volume of traffic moving from one highway to the next, at and even not at rush hour thing.

Quote:
Still up for debate that I lived in NJ?
Yup. Because of this:

Quote:
Actually quite a few of those beaches have their fair share of drunk idiots and partiers. The Jersey Shore is quite uniform when it comes to the dive bar trash bars it presents.
No it's not. Maybe you lived here but I doubt you've explored the coast like I have. I know many beach towns like the back of my hand. I have family spread throughout. I have vacationed, rented houses throughout. And no, not quite a few of those beach towns have a similar atmosphere to a place like Seaside Heights. Some of those towns are so wealthy most people can barely afford to spend time in them, let alone live in them. The majority of the Jersey Shore consists of quiet, family friendly beach towns.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 PM

6,220 posts, read 8,372,752 times
Quote:
I assume the OP was trying to stir up drama, given coastal Southern California's near perfect image and the Jersey Shore's not so perfect image (mostly thanks to the show). This is why I'm trying to go into detail about what the NJ shore is actually like here… It doesn't surprise me at all that people are basing their posts/opinions off stereotypes.

I bet most of the people voting/posting have never even been to the Jersey Shore - maybe coastal CA, too.
Seems like you have your work cut out for you defending New Jersey's image from the riff raf like the OP here, who had to include "not the show" in the poll.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Seems like you have your work cut out for you defending New Jersey's image from the riff raf like the OP here, who had to include "not the show" in the poll.
Haha my point exactly! See my first post on this thread - I bolded "(not the show)" and did that same smack face.

It's clear that people think the show actually represents the 120 miles of coastline (or whatever the number is). There are so many quiet towns and residents as a whole who never wanted anything to do with that stupid show. The unclean beaches/water stereotype, the stereotype that beaches are crowded, inaccessible, and an overall subpar experience or whatever people were saying… what does that even mean?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
show. The unclean beaches/water stereotype, the stereotype that beaches are crowded, inaccessible, and an overall subpar experience or whatever people were saying… what does that even mean?
It means exactly what it means. The poll is between NJ and Southern CA and NJ is clearly losing big time.

Year-round weather, accessibility, lodging, & recreation I don't think it's even a question that CA wins against very seasonal and crowded NJ beaches.

Water quality and sea temperatures seem to be on part with one another, if you want to be technical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or