Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
If those two countries were included it would probably increase the Miami area's numbers significantly... Have you ever been to South Florida especially from October to March... There's Canadians everywhere. The running joke is "Je me souviens" means no parking anywhere.. Something like one in six Canadians visit Florida every year. As for Mexico Miami area is usually in the top three with NY and LA in air traffic with Mexico City ... Which is actually busier than any Carribean destination. Both Mexico City and Cancun are busier than Port au Prince. Also tourists from Mexico to Miami are wealthier and are not just here because they are visiting family.
Here I see a lot of Canadian plates during the winter season. Anyways we can quibble with numbers but NYC is clearly number 1, Miami number 2, and Los Angeles number 3 in the USA for international tourism. And this represents how famous each city is on a global scale. People visit what they hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I don't know...a 20%+ increase with a ton of tourists already going to Miami is substantial....at the rate it's going, it might threaten NYC soon. It's gap is widening from other cities. It's clearly become the new tourist mecca. Very impressed with Miami's international tourist numbers. It clearly knows how to market itself.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't know...a 20%+ increase with a ton of tourists already going to Miami is substantial....at the rate it's going, it might threaten NYC soon. It's gap is widening from other cities. It's clearly become the new tourist mecca. Very impressed with Miami's international tourist numbers. It clearly knows how to market itself.
Hurry and visit us before our governor lets us sink into the ocean!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
-Dallas is the only top 10 metro(in population) that doesn't hit 500k. Why that is...I'm not really sure
Dallas isnt a top 10 metro by the way they measure it. They only count the Dallas side of the metro area, Fort Worth and that side is cut out.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Sorry dont have time for the link.

How were the results calculated?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised how many of those numbers are people flying in to Miami in the morning from the Caribbean region, having lunch and a bit of shopping and returning home in time for dinner.lol!!

Miami has the benefit of being in close proximity to many destinations that are within a two hour flight. It's much more doable to take a regional flight to a US destination (Miami) that can be done in a day than taking a wide body airliners over an ocean that takes 10-11 hours minimum.

If you look at inter continental tourist numbers the number drops significantly.

Inter regional flights from the Caribbean which makes up a substantial bulk of Miami's international passenger numbers does not represent how Global Miami is. Would you say Miami is more global than Los Angeles because the tourist numbers are higher?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You'd be surprised how many of those numbers are people flying in to Miami in the morning from the Caribbean region, having lunch and a bit of shopping and returning home in time for dinner.lol!!
I'm surprised, tell me how many people do that?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm surprised, tell me how many people do that?
Many locations only 1.5 hours away flight time. It's doable quite easily. Maybe you should tell me how many people don't.

Sacramento is 1.5 hours away driving with no traffic and I have done it in a day many times. I don't think it's a stretch to say there are many people that fly in to Miami for day trips and return back the same day.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Many locations only 1.5 hours away flight time. It's doable quite easily. Maybe you should tell me how many people don't.
NYC is 2 hours away, I don't know anyone who flies here and returns to NYC in the same day. Same weekend maybe. And NYC is a domestic destination, you forgot something called "customs." And general airport delay. A domestic trip from a public airport will add 1-2 hours of time dealing with airport checkin, security procedures and boarding. Not to mention international.

But since you made the claim, go ahead and support it. How many people make such a trip? My guess is only people with private planes.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
NYC is 2 hours away, I don't know anyone who flies here and returns to NYC in the same day. Same weekend maybe. And NYC is a domestic destination, you forgot something called "customs." And general airport delay. A domestic trip from a public airport will add 1-2 hours of time dealing with airport checkin, security procedures and boarding. Not to mention international.

But since you made the claim, go ahead and support it. How many people make such a trip? My guess is only people with private planes.
We used to do something similar when I was a child in Jamaica. Fly into Miami in the morning, shop all day, spend the night, then head back home the day after. Many fellow Jamaicans did the same. Same day turnaround though is something that I never really heard of anyone doing.

Miami does have a quick stopover and shop draw throughout the Caribbean. People think its because Caribbean folks love Miami, but its really just because its close and gives us access to things you cant find at home. Its more of a convenient destination, rather than a special or interesting one to most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City