Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Can I ask what you did in LA? Even in the city of LA, there is downtown, Hollywood, Fairfax, Venice, and other places. It's really difficult to discuss LA and not include the smaller cities that are basically entirely integrated into LA's existence.
I've been to LA 5-7 times. We have an office there. To be entirely clear, I did not venture beyond central LA (said that in my post). In benchmarking cities, I'm not including suburbs or far flung areas. I'm a visitor, so I'm talking the general downtown area (and I was consistent with this in my opinions of other cities above).

I just found LA incredibly boring, dirty/brown, nothing happening, cars everywhere... When I went to LA about 8 years ago I felt like OmegaMan; I was the only person downtown. It has improved. LA Live has potential, but in talking to locals even they thought it would be more of a catalyst. I will say, the city seems more vibrant today than even 5 years ago. I appreciate their attempts at TOD, but I get the feeling LA's urban dynamic has already been sewn as a suburban type core. It is what it is.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I've been to LA 5-7 times. We have an office there. To be entirely clear, I did not venture beyond central LA (said that in my post). In benchmarking cities, I'm not including suburbs or far flung areas. I'm a visitor, so I'm talking the general downtown area (and I was consistent with this in my opinions of other cities above).

I just found LA incredibly boring, dirty/brown, nothing happening, cars everywhere... When I went to LA about 8 years ago I felt like OmegaMan; I was the only person downtown. It has improved. LA Live has potential, but in talking to locals even they thought it would be more of a catalyst. I will say, the city seems more vibrant today than even 5 years ago. I appreciate their attempts at TOD, but I get the feeling LA's urban dynamic has already been sewn as a suburban type core. It is what it is.
If you only stayed downtown, that makes sense then. DTLA isn't for everyone. I enjoy it, and it's definitely more of a place for locals. You have to really know where you're going there. But as for actual city limits, Hollywood, Silverlake, Mid Wilshire, Koreatown (our 24 hour district), Miracle Mile, Fairfax, Westwood, Brentwood, Venice Beach, Marian del Rey, Studio City, and Sherman Oaks are within city limits and are really fun places. Again, though, it's easier to have fun as a local. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Santa Monica aren't within city limits, so I get your reasoning, but it's hard to not include them.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that without a car LA sucks. Even with a car, LA traffic sucks and makes it difficult to enjoy everything.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you only stayed downtown, that makes sense then. DTLA isn't for everyone. I enjoy it, and it's definitely more of a place for locals. You have to really know where you're going there. But as for actual city limits, Hollywood, Silverlake, Mid Wilshire, Koreatown (our 24 hour district), Miracle Mile, Fairfax, Westwood, Brentwood, Venice Beach, Marian del Rey, Studio City, and Sherman Oaks are within city limits and are really fun places. Again, though, it's easier to have fun as a local. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Santa Monica aren't within city limits, so I get your reasoning, but it's hard to not include them.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that without a car LA sucks. Even with a car, LA traffic sucks and makes it difficult to enjoy everything.
I'd actually like to get out to other areas of the LA region when I get a chance. I know the overall impression would be more favorable than just the downtown area. I appreciate the suggestions on places to visit.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Fun: LA, Chicago, SD, SF, I'm sure NYC too but haven't spent enough time there.

Boring: Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose, Jacksonville

Old 06-11-2015, 04:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

Yeah DTLA still has a ways to go but improving. The areas Jesse mentioned are all pretty fun. The beach areas can be fun. Even suburbs like Pasadena have stuff going on. I have a soft spot for Pasadena though :P. But yes very decentralized and spread around the metro with boring areas intermixed with fun areas. So it's a bit more work and planning and of course there's the traffic.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,577,681 times
Most Fun: New York City

Nost dull: does Youngstown count as a major city?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Most Fun: New York City

Nost dull: does Youngstown count as a major city?
Um - no.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
But do people really get upset if you list their city as "boring?"
Well, just looking through this thread, apparently people in Tennessee do.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 PM

616 posts, read 644,748 times
DC funnest
NY coolest
DC friendly
NY awesome
Seattle boring

tuff call

Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,461 times
Places where Iv'e had the most fun!

Chicago, New Orleans, & Miami Beach (South Beach).

Major cities that didn't hit the mark:

Too many to list however there were a number that were livelier than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City