Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:53 AM

345 posts, read 803,766 times

Advertisements

Most fun: Chicago
Most boring: Tie between Dallas and Houston. Can't decide...

Old 06-10-2015, 11:57 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
Most fun: San Francisco
Most boring: Toronto

Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,296,453 times
Most fun: Vegas
Most boring: Tucson

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,224,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's basically a giant suburb with one kinda cool outdoor shopping center called Santana Row. Besides that, it's all houses and downtown has basically nothing going on. "Close" is relative there. It's still a minimum of around like 45 miles from SF. Depending on how far south you are in SJ, it can be like 60 miles from SF. In traffic that can be like 2 hours. On the train, depending which train you can take, that is also around 2 hours, probably more.
Yeah, that was sort of my perception of San Jose. I also tend to think of it as having the feel of an overgrown business park. Being able to get to San Francisco in an hour or so seems pretty decent to me for such a cool destination (2 hours stuck in traffic wouldn't be fun, though).

Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Yeah, that was sort of my perception of San Jose. I also tend to think of it as having the feel of an overgrown business park. Being able to get to San Francisco in an hour or so seems pretty decent to me for such a cool destination (2 hours stuck in traffic wouldn't be fun, though).
It definitely is. For promoting such environmentally friendliness and being all hipster and green, tech lives in one of the worst places for that. Silicon Valley and SJ are entirely car-based economies. Public transit there makes LA look like a world-class public transit city. It's mainly 2-3 office buildings surrounded by giant parking lots, strip malls, and huge streets built for only car traffic.

SJ has traffic almost as bad as LA though. So those people rarely get the chance to go to SF. And one factor in being "fun" is the nightlife, wouldn't we all agree? SF is the nightlife center of the Bay Area. Can you imagine over an hour drive home after the nightclubs? Because the public transit back from SF stops well before last call. And nightlife in SJ is basically non-existent.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,904,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Vancouver bored me.

Most fun: NYC
Most boring: Chicago
Someone has a grudge against the city of Chicago or someone in/from the city of Chicago it seems.

Sorry, but if you find Chicago boring, you have no pulse.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Truth be told, if one is looking for "touristy" or "Texas" stuff to do, the Fort Worth side of DFW is actually better to hang out in and explore than the Dallas side. I think if more tourists were more open to visiting and spending time in Fort Worth, their impression of DFW would be a little different. I don't know why Fort Worth doesn't advertise itself more to tourists as the "Fun, more authentically Texan" side of the metro, since Dallas is more geared towards business and is full of transplants from Cali and up North.
Completely agree with this - Dallas is right near the top of my "most boring" list, and Ft Worth is near the top of my "most underrated" one.

Most fun: NOLA
Most boring: Wichita (not "major" maybe, but so utterly boring in every way that it demanded inclusion)

Near the top of the fun list: NYC, Chicago, Miami, Austin
Near the top of the boring list: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Orlando, San Diego

Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Someone has a grudge against the city of Chicago or someone in/from the city of Chicago it seems.

Right, and the placement on the exact opposite end of the spectrum from NYC means he 1) has only been to 2 major cities, or 2) he's purposely making some "point" instead of actually answering honestly.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
I don't see how anyone can call a major city or metro boring, especially those over 4 or 5 million. But it is what it is.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Idk if I've ever heard of anyone finding Chicago boring. Ever. How can you? Especially when you find NYC to be the most fun. They're so similar in so many ways. Unless, yes, the only two options were NYC and Chicago. Then NYC is more fun, making Chicago more boring.

They also chose Vancouver as boring? I've also never heard of anyone describe Vancouver as boring, unless we're talking about Vancouver, WA. Van, BC is one of the most vibrant and beautiful places I've ever been in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City