Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 05:45 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

Auto-centric NYC. Imagine if most of the city looked this way. High population density, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQU22xAXl4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 05:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
I strongly disagree with your premise - San Francisco is relatively small but the majority of it is very walkable and classically urban. Even the Outer Sunset, one of the less urban districts in the city, has neighborhood corridors like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7427...8i6656!6m1!1e1

And SF has a lot of very dense, urban areas outside of the NE quadrant - the Mission, Castro, Haight-Ashbury, Lower-Haight, the Marina, Fillmore, Pacific Heights, Hayes Valley. All very walkable and urban. SF is obviously much smaller than LA but proportionally a much higher percentage of it is walkable and urban.

This is what much of SF residential looks like outside of the NE quadrant: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...7i13312!8i6656
That's my point though. The first link isn't what I would call an "intense urban environment". It doesn't feel like you're in the big big city.

The 2nd link though is more intense though. I didn't say only the NE quadrant was urbane, but that's where the extremely intense urban environment is where it feels like you're in a very big city.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nobody's penalizing Los Angeles for not having an urban fabric that spans across 450 miles. I asked for one contiguous square mile with a pedestrian-scaled built environment. That means a streetscape that's not riddled with parking lots, strip malls, drive through restaurants, and super block buildings and structures.

Not even NYC has a completely walkable urban fabric across 303 sq. miles. In the outer boroughs, you have strip malls, wide streets with fast moving traffic, and all other types of auto-oriented development. But NYC obviously has a lot more areas that look like Fulton Street over a largely contiguous footprint.
Uh, downtown LA has an intense urban environment for at least one square mile. I've been to L.A. plenty of times and it has a pretty walkable urban core.

I love this particular photo. One thing I loved about Downtown LA is the historic core. It has a feel to it that no other part of LA does.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM

741 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Uh, downtown LA has an intense urban environment for at least one square mile. I've been to L.A. plenty of times and it has a pretty walkable urban core.

I love this particular photo. One thing I loved about Downtown LA is the historic core. It has a feel to it that no other part of LA does.
Do you have some pedestrian views? On the ground?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM

233 posts, read 379,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Do you have some pedestrian views? On the ground?
You are going to see some surface lots on Historic Core blocks.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:17 PM

741 posts, read 1,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
You are going to see some surface lots on Historic Core blocks.
I think it would be helpful to see an on the ground view, not a bird's eye view, way above.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 PM

233 posts, read 379,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I think it would be helpful to see an on the ground view, not a bird's eye view, way above.
Here is one of the better intersections in Downtown Los Angeles.... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...467693!6m1!1e1

Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
Here is one of the better intersections in Downtown Los Angeles.... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...467693!6m1!1e1

That looks more intense and urbane than the majority of intersections in the entire country. The historic core of LA is pretty built out. Very little surface lots.

Like I said, last time I went to LA, I was very impressed with the historic core of LA, at least in terms of built form and pedestrian mixed uses.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
I walked around that neighborhood for a few days recently. It's good urbanity, but not that lively. Still a lot of factories and minimal uses upstairs, and a lot of $49 suits in the windows. That's changing quickly of course. But for now it looks better in an aerial than on the ground.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 PM

508 posts, read 503,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I walked around that neighborhood for a few days recently. It's good urbanity, but not that lively. Still a lot of factories and minimal uses upstairs, and a lot of $49 suits in the windows. That's changing quickly of course. But for now it looks better in an aerial than on the ground.
yes, I do think it's better than when nobody went down there in the first place. I really like the Broad, and that it's FREE!!! I think the appeal really comes from the Bars and Restaurants. Grimey and all I think DTLA is a really cool place with a lot of stuff to do.

I also really like the Arts District. I remember when I would go to crazy gideons and get cheap prices on electronics. It's no longer there but I like the housing, development, and breweries that is taking place.

Fashion District is nice because you can get new fashion on the cheap. Bought 2 suits that I still wear for $80 dollars. Yeah, I haggled the guy but that's just business.

To sum this up, I like DTLA cause I can get flowers for my mother and get a kickass piñata in the piñata district. I like filling my piñata with little bottles of liquor. I have said too much.

Last edited by afropack-man; 07-26-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City