Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 06:42 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyK1 View Post
There's alot more blocks like that in the other part of Koreatown. It's full of old apartment and commmercial buildings.
I'm sure there are. We just have to ignore the numerous strip malls, parking lots and auto-scaled streets lest we hear cries of foul and "cherrypicking" from the faithful here.

Quote:
But you're the guy who said it looks like the Wynwood area, so....
I never said it looked like Koreatown. Keep knocking those strawmen down. I said the transition from walkable area to light industrial area reminded me of Hollywood, but after OyCrumbler made some good points, I take that back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 PM

72 posts, read 63,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm sure there are. We just have to ignore the numerous strip malls, parking lots and auto-scaled streets lest we hear cries of foul and "cherrypicking" from the faithful here.

I never said it looked like Koreatown. Keep knocking those strawmen down. I said the transition from walkable area to light industrial area reminded me of Hollywood, but after OyCrumbler made some good points, I take that back.
There are plenty of blocks in Koreatown and Westalke that have none of those things.
and it isnt just the same blocks over and over as you tried to claim earlier.

I lived at Oxford and 9th, near Western and Olympic for a year.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually as a public transportation user take another look at who rides the Rapid Transit #720 bus. Surprisingly you will see quite a few tourist. Next time you ride the bus to the Getty, look at who's on it.
That's true. Not to pick on a particular demographic, but I see white, middle class tourists on buses from places like Australia, England, and NYC. Middle class, white, Angelenos rarely use public transportation, especially not buses.

I live downtown and if I had to guess I'd say that 90% of the people moving to market rate apartments don't take any public transportation and of the ones that do, 90% of them only take trains. It's pretty disappointing actually. People do walk so we have that.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We did walk in Koreatown and it just wasn't the same as DC, Brooklyn, Boston, etc. The auto-centric uses did matter because there were cars jutting into and out of parking lots. Even at BCD Tofu, there was a huge parking lot, but it didn't matter because it was only a short walk from where we were staying. But in the aggregate, yes, a bunch of drive thru restaurants, gas stations and strip malls make it a less appealing walk because the walking environment feels a lot more dangerous. And it has a more spread out feeling that seems to encourage auto use.
I totally get what you mean. I go to church across the street from your hotel and walk around that neighborhood all the time. It feels very walkable to me. I'm used to the cars and driveways but I can see why it would detract from your walk.

But on the flip side to someone from LA where development is intense even if it's largely for automobiles, some areas in places like DC and even NE cities can feel kinda country. Even in the more relatively urban areas. Seriously.

I admit that DC does indeed function more like a traditional urban city than LA (based on walk and transit shares) but it doesn't feel as big city to me. But I totally get that someone coming from DC or a NE city may feel the exact same about LA because they associate cars with suburbs. What we're used to influences our perception of urban.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 PM

LA feels more big city to me and I'm from the DC area. All of my family from the east coast who've visted here feel the same way.
Some are intimitated by it.

I noticed it on my first visit.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:06 PM

41 posts, read 50,322 times
Quote:
With all due respect, what does that map show us about the urban fabric of the city? The poster you responded to was talking about the urban fabric, which is not the same as population density. It seems posters often confuse the two.
Exactly, seems to be a mostly Los Angeles thing around here to confuse density for urbanity. LA just pretty much has a high overall density on a CSA and UA level, which is due to the reason that it doesn't really have a lot of the really low density suburbs and exurbs (i.e. the kind where wealthy people reside) in comparison to most other places. My guess is it's geographic restrictions play a big part in that. I'm really not getting what bearing that has on actual urban and city like parts, considering even just the density in those is hardly something any of city in the top 5 and likely even DC needs to be in awe of.

What's next, are we going to start arguing that Las Vegas and San Diego is more urban than DC because they have higher density suburbs? Phoenix and Salt Lake City more urban than New Orleans? If anybody knows two bits about urbanity and those cities, they know how facepalm worthy all those ideas are.

Quote:
Lol.

One of the guy's who agreed said Long Beach NY is urban because of some old midrises.
I'm pretty sure that guy managed to make it sound smarter than that, my guess is it was something to do with the place's structural design. I don't find it surprising that it went over your head.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 PM

Obviously I generalized it.
I looked it up on street view. The only walkable urban area I saw was near the train station, and it wasn't that big. The old midrises don't do anything. No mixed use at all. Just a bland, boring residential area.

If you can tell me why that place is urban, and Santa Monica isn't, be my guest.

Cause it certainly doesn't look like it.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
LA feels more big city to me and I'm from the DC area. All of my family from the east coast who've visted here feel the same way.
Some are intimitated by it.

I noticed it on my first visit.
I feel the same as you. LA is much more intense and much, much bigger. But I understand that some people see it differently. I used to think that people saying these things really visited the San Gabriel Valley or OC when they described "LA" as suburban (and many did), but many just see LA differently then me and you.

I will say that too many people walk and take transit around DC and NYC and then compare that to their experience driving around LA. In those cases I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalvoLLorne View Post
Exactly, seems to be a mostly Los Angeles thing around here to confuse density for urbanity. LA just pretty much has a high overall density on a CSA and UA level, which is due to the reason that it doesn't really have a lot of the really low density suburbs and exurbs (i.e. the kind where wealthy people reside) in comparison to most other places. My guess is it's geographic restrictions play a big part in that. I'm really not getting what bearing that has on actual urban and city like parts, considering even just the density in those is hardly something any of city in the top 5 and likely even DC needs to be in awe of.
Perhaps it's because density is an objective metric while "urbanity" is completely subjective. I remember someone here or maybe another site mentioned that they took a visitor from Tokyo to Greenwich village and was asked if they were in the suburbs. What they consider suburban in Paris looks an awful lot like what most US and Canadian cities consider urban. But density is completely objective if not always entirely useful.

But no DC doesn't have density like LA over any significant area. No reason for awe, but that is an objective fact.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Pretty much.

Of course these are the same guys that somehow think the area between downtown DC and Columbia Hts represents what DC is, ignoring pretty much the rest of the city, which is far larger in area.

They're basically ignoring the entire NE/SE sections and a huge chunk of the NW, but whatever.

It's what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City