Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sure, but you can find that in any city.
And I already said this. I think you view every post as an opportunity to launch into a detailed post about Chicago...whether it really address the post you were responding to or not. So it doesn't really feel like a conversation.

Quote:
My point is that it's not as un-dense in numerous areas as you think. Sure, it's not 30K per sq mi like some large areas on the north side, but there's still many areas over 15K per sq mi which I already showed you. There's 750,000 people living in an area down there with a combined density of over 12,000 people per sq mi which, if it was its own city, would still rank up there in the top 5 densest.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up density. That has nothing to do with what I initially said. I said that urbanists generally have little interest in neighborhoods like the one Trinity United Church is in. That's why threads here focus almost exclusively on the Loop, River North, Logan Square, etc.

Quote:
And some of the high crime areas are not as blighted as you think on the surface.
And how blighted do I think they are? Did I give some indication as to how blighted I think they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up density. That has nothing to do with what I initially said. I said that urbanists generally have little interest in neighborhoods like the one Trinity United Church is in. That's why threads here focus almost exclusively on the Loop, River North, Logan Square, etc.
Your comment yesterday labeling the south side as "sprawling" was what launched me into this whole thing. I've seen the same sentiment time and time again on this site from numerous people who think the entire south side is full of vacant lots with low density. When was the last time you were actually, truly in the south side of Chicago?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Please show me "rural" anywhere in the 61 sq mi of DC proper.
I already posted a DC Urban Turf article about this.

Quote:
It’s easy to get disoriented in Deanwood. Exit the Metro station and walk past the gleaming new recreation center, and the neighborhood quickly takes on a foreign tone. With its hills and one-story frame houses, it’s not a stretch to imagine you’re wandering around a rural community somewhere—one that isn’t particularly open to outsiders.
Quote:
It still has a little bit of a rural feel. Vacant lots abound, giving the area a spacious, wild feeling, and residents are tight-lipped and not particularly eager to talk to inquiring journalists about their neighborhood.
Quote:
I was born and raised in the Deanwood area, in nearby Kenilworth. It always has that somewhat rural feel to it that I like, despite it having no commercial development outside of carryouts and corner store. Deanwood is a solidly southern neighborhood and I’ll always love it
Deanwood: A Little Bit of Country Just Inside the District’s Borders

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Your comment yesterday labeling the south side as "sprawling" was what launched me into this whole thing. I've seen the same sentiment time and time again on this site from numerous people who think the entire south side is full of vacant lots with low density. When was the last time you were actually, truly in the south side of Chicago?
It's funny you say that. On my first visit to Chicago, I don't think I saw a single White person outside of Midway. To answer your question, I was in Chicago earlier this year for a wedding. On the South Side. In an A.M.E. church.

And yes, I would describe that area as "sprawling." I don't think anybody over there would take offense to that description.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I only said that if people not familiar with DC are expecting its downtown to be similar to Philly's or Boston's, they will be disappointed. Philly's and Boston's downtowns have a gritty, historic character to them that is wholly absent in downtown DC where even the historic buildings are very polished and feel newish. I never said tourists would be disappointed with DC as a city.
So by your measure DT Baltimore on this list should be ahead of DC? I've never disagreed with the whole "grit" factor that so many people on CD feel is their make or break factor in being a great city. This however does not make all the world to me. I actually like the cleaner, gleaming, crystal clear looking, marble historical buildings in DT DC. Are there too many glass boxes IMO heck yes, but there are enough streets that liven up and make DT interesting enough to keep me happy. What's different about Philly is that even though the city limits are twice DC's size, the areas of DC that many visitors or tourists would venture to expand much further from the center than Philadelphia. Yes Philly has that intense and seamless core and the areas around UC and 30th street station, but there are many people who do not expand much outside of that. Washington will attract many people from the Anacostia waterfront to SW waterfront, all the way up into downtown, West to Georgetown and up Wisconsin Ave, and East all the way to H Street/ Union Station area. I understand that Philly has much more building density across this same level of stretch because the streets are more narrow and population is just greater. What you don't find there is the many separate urban nodes across the city once you get outside of CC. I still believe that Philly is more urban than DC CITY wide but I do NOT believe there is some separate tier of urbanity when looking at the two cities up close.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-16-2015 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
And again, I didn't say anything about the population density of the South Side. My point is that young professionals aren't checking for the largely African American, blighted, and auto-centric parts of the city, which is why threads about Chicago focus almost exclusively on the Loop and a handful of trendy neighborhoods on its North Side. This is true for every other city we discuss on C-D. In these "who's more urban threads," we're generally focused on the meanest and leanest areas these cities have to offer.
I've occasionally brought up poorer, minority areas of Brooklyn and The Bronx though they're not auto-centric and are too bustling to really be blighted.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
It's funny you say that. On my first visit to Chicago, I don't think I saw a single White person outside of Midway. To answer your question, I was in Chicago earlier this year for a wedding. On the South Side. In an A.M.E. church.

And yes, I would describe that area as "sprawling." I don't think anybody over there would take offense to that description.
I never said there aren't sprawling areas (there are, especially when you go further south). My point was that there's a large area that isn't sprawling down there, which has a combined population that would put it in the top 15 or 16 largest US cities (and larger than Miami, Boston, etc), and it's not right to label the entire South Side as such.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I never said there aren't sprawling areas (there are, especially when you go further south). My point was that there's a large area that isn't sprawling down there, which has a combined population that would put it in the top 15 or 16 largest US cities (and larger than Miami, Boston, etc), and it's not right to label the entire South Side as such.
And where did I do that?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
And where did I do that?
When you say "sprawling south side neighborhoods", you imply that it might be the overwhelming norm there. Obviously now you didn't mean it, but I've seen time and time again on this site that people think the south side is under 7000 people per sq mile everywhere which is far from the truth.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
I already posted a DC Urban Turf article about this.

Deanwood: A Little Bit of Country Just Inside the District’s Borders
Deanwood does have SFH yes, but so do Queens and Staten Island, which I know you would not mention are country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City