Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
check out Colliers and CBRE

probably speculation and even if they sit it probably wont hurt the investors
Probably true but with Expedia , Wherehauser, and Amazon adding there world head quarters downtown Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 PM

401 posts, read 645,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I absolutely agree, and in the real non-C.D. world it is firmly in the top 5.
In the real world, most people dislike L.A because of how anti urban and inconvenient it is if you don't have a car. The fact that it is big and very populated doesn't change how urban LA is. In fact it makes it even more inconvenient. It has to be the least urban city in the world for a city with a metro above 10M.
I hope it is going to change but I don't think the people living there want urbanity.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:46 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,045 times
L.A is so big it has urban areas & non urban areas so if you cant accept & enjoy America's 2nd biggest city than your the person with the problem lol

Old 06-13-2015, 11:14 PM

401 posts, read 645,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
L.A is so big it has urban areas & non urban areas so if you cant accept & enjoy America's 2nd biggest city than your the person with the problem lol
As I said I like LA, it's just not urban. Show me some google streetview areas in LA with lots of people in the streets outside the few touristic spots. I'm sure you can't, because most people don't walk in L.A, because it's not urban

Old 06-14-2015, 12:03 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,045 times
So Wilshire,Santa monica, DTLA fashion district, The Westside isnt walkable or urban, WOW .

When's the last time you been to L.A ?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
In the real world, most people dislike L.A because of how anti urban and inconvenient it is if you don't have a car. The fact that it is big and very populated doesn't change how urban LA is. In fact it makes it even more inconvenient. It has to be the least urban city in the world for a city with a metro above 10M.
I hope it is going to change but I don't think the people living there want urbanity.
In the real world, most people that don't like L.A. have never been. And in the real world, how urban a place is or isn't is hardly a thought to most people.

Anyone that has been there and claims L.A. isn't urban has a very bizarre grasp of what urban truly means.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
LA actually has about the same percentage of people living in census tracts with density of above 50k per sq mile than Chicago. HOWEVER, where it fails is that it ranks low on the walkability aspect. According to Walkscore.com, here are the percentage and number of residents for a few cities who live in neighborhoods deemed to be walkscore of 90+.

DC: 23.7% (139K people)
Chicago: 16.8% (451K people)
Philadelphia: 13.8% (210K people)
Los Angeles: 6.08% (226K people)

LA definitely has areas of urbanity and anybody who's spent enough time there would know that, but it doesn't rank nearly as high in the walkability aspect as other cities. However, density wise it's denser than many people think.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-14-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
As I said I like LA, it's just not urban. Show me some google streetview areas in LA with lots of people in the streets outside the few touristic spots. I'm sure you can't, because most people don't walk in L.A, because it's not urban
It is very urban, just not more dense structurally or urban than the EC cities plus SF.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM

616 posts, read 640,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It is very urban, just not more dense structurally or urban than the EC cities plus SF.
but how many Chicago people would trade places with LA people?
Im not trading my car in to live in some sort of concrete and steel jungle

Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
but how many Chicago people would trade places with LA people?
Im not trading my car in to live in some sort of concrete and steel jungle
And you don't have to. Most US cities, even the walkable ones you could own a car. Manhattan is without a doubt the hardest place to own a car. A city like Chicago, while very walkable, is not "hard" to own a car. You could easily live in the city, even walkable areas, with a car. Not to mention the "concrete and steel jungle" part. Places like Chicago, even in their densest, are a hell of a lot different than 85% of Manhattan where you get this picture of "concrete jungle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City