Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Yes, I state my preferences, and you state your preferences. Given most people don't have a choice of going to either Chicago or Charleston, there is no data on which one people would prefer to go to if they had a job offer in both.

I tend to think most people, of any age, would prefer Charleston. I could be wrong. If I am wrong, so what? This isn't a life and death issue

the main selling point that I hear for Chicago is it has more people. Is that really a selling point?
Actually, the selling points were a lot more to do in general--you just seem to have distilled everything down to something that almost bears no resemblance to what others have said. See, it is very simple!

I don't think anyone thought your life or their own depended on this topic though--of course, I can't speak for everyone as there's no data on that either. I can neither confirm or disprove that this topic is killing people right now. It's unfortunate, but that's just the albatross we have to bear as city-data posters.

Just out of curiosity, just asking questions here, but have you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, or any big northern city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,487 times
Quote:
Naples is better, for most people. You have a bias for big cities. I don't see how living in a city with more strangers makes it a better place to live though. you aren't going to know even 1 percent of the people in Chuck if you moved there.

You said Charleston has a slow pace, as though people in Chuck just sitting around sipping lemonade all day. NO actually we have to work, and we have to take our kids to things, and we do all the same kind of things as people do in Chicago or big cities elswehere. so is life slower paced here?
Do you even know what slow paced means dude?! Charleston is slow paced what the...... It doesn't mean people don't do anything? It means people aren't in a rush to everywhere and there's no hustle and bustle. Learn the definition before making an argument.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM

110 posts, read 115,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Do you even know what slow paced means dude?! Charleston is slow paced what the...... It doesn't mean people don't do anything? It means people aren't in a rush to everywhere and there's no hustle and bustle. Learn the definition before making an argument.
lol, so people can be late to work in SC? Never have any appointments to get to, kids don't need to be taken anywhere, etc?

there is no traffic on the streets? there seems like a lot of hustble bustle in Charleston but apparently you have to a top 4 city in population to have hustle and bustle.

you clearly have never been to Charleston, is there a beach. lol

Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, the selling points were a lot more to do in general--you just seem to have distilled everything down to something that almost bears no resemblance to what others have said. See, it is very simple!

I don't think anyone thought your life or their own depended on this topic though--of course, I can't speak for everyone as there's no data on that either. I can neither confirm or disprove that this topic is killing people right now. It's unfortunate, but that's just the albatross we have to bear as city-data posters.

Just out of curiosity, just asking questions here, but have you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, or any big northern city?
I worked in Hackensack area outside of Manhattan for about 4 months. And I lived in DC metro for 2 years.

I could see a case for DC over Charleston, because it is an unique place, and the weather is ok. If you could get past the cost of living. lol The Potomac falls is probably my favorite spot in the us

you guys clearly think it is a thought crime if somebody argues that Charleston is better place to live and act lke nobody wants to live there but people about to die. lol I never met many young people who hate a beach though.

I can see Chicago being more popular with liberal people in their 20's.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,330,351 times
Quote:
I'm 37.

Charleston has more people in their 20's per 100 teenagers than Chicago. A lot more. I put the age thing to bed when I posted that article from USA today.

Charleston isn't just the beach. YOu can do anything in Charleston that you do in Chicago, and do outside stuff more often because it isn't so cold.
There are way more differences than that, though. I think you understate the desire for many young people to live in an exciting big city.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There are way more differences than that, though. I think you understate the desire for many young people to live in an exciting big city.
I think that you underestimate the power of the beach, and the preference for warm winters, and have never been to downtown Charleston if don't think it is vibrant. lol

There is a largte public university plus a huge medical university right in downtown Charleston. You guys make it sound like a retirement community in Orlando

Old 06-21-2015, 11:51 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,330,351 times
Quote:
I think that you underestimate the power of the beach, and the preference for warm winters, and have never been to downtown Charleston if don't think it is vibrant. lol

There is a largte public university plus a huge medical university right in downtown Charleston. You guys make it sound like a retirement community in Orlando
I'm fully aware of what Charleston is like. But you can't say it's a clear cut better place to live for people in their 20's who want a big city and everything that comes with it. For those considering cities like Chicago, somewhere such as Charleston would never enter the picture.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm fully aware of what Charleston is like. But you can't say it's a clear cut better place to live for people in their 20's who want a big city and everything that comes with it. For those considering cities like Chicago, somewhere such as Charleston would never enter the picture.
lol yeah for people considering large cities like Chicago. Nobody ever denied that.

But as far as ALL young people go, I think it is at least 50-50. I don't see how Chicago is naturally 'more exciting', because it has some taller buildings downtown and more people and some pro sports teams.

Where do you live by the way? Like I said, if you are from the Midwest, I could see Chicago being your shining city on the hill. But that isn't the case for most in southeast. Charleston tends to be the 'dream' city for most in the Carolinas and much of the southeast.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
I worked in Hackensack area outside of Manhattan for about 4 months. And I lived in DC metro for 2 years.

I could see a case for DC over Charleston, because it is an unique place, and the weather is ok. If you could get past the cost of living. lol The Potomac falls is probably my favorite spot in the us

you guys clearly think it is a thought crime if somebody argues that Charleston is better place to live and act lke nobody wants to live there but people about to die. lol I never met many young people who hate a beach though.

I can see Chicago being more popular with liberal people in their 20's.
Actually, I don't think any of that. I think it comes down to what people's personal situations and wants are. I think for more people in their 20s, which by itself is a very broad spectrum, Chicago is probably the better choice. However, that doesn't invalidate the decisions of the portion of people for whom Charleston would be a former choice. I think you're just really funny, is all. You sound like you live in a bubble of sorts, but it seems fun.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, I don't think any of that. I think it comes down to what people's personal situations and wants are. I think for more people in their 20s, which by itself is a very broad spectrum, Chicago is probably the better choice. However, that doesn't invalidate the decisions of the portion of people for whom Charleston would be a former choice. I think you're just really funny, is all. You sound like you live in a bubble of sorts, but it seems fun.
I actually think Chicago is one of the worst places for youjng people, due to the cost of living and salaries not keeping up with it. plus can't get outside as much and enjoy your youth.

a lot of liberals live in a bubble. anybody can make that type of accusation.

Chicago will always have Michael Jordan, or at least a sculpture of him. lol nobody can take that away from you. And Jay Cutler. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City