Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city sees the most foot traffic?
Los Angeles 6 4.03%
Chicago 35 23.49%
Houston 0 0%
Philadelphia 13 8.72%
Miami 1 0.67%
San Francisco 59 39.60%
San Diego 0 0%
Washington D.C. 8 5.37%
Atlanta 4 2.68%
New Orleans 3 2.01%
Boston 10 6.71%
Seattle 6 4.03%
Orlando 0 0%
Dallas 2 1.34%
Other 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM

251 posts, read 283,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
This part is definitely not true at all but we'll agree to disagree, its all good.
Fair enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
I don't say that because its bigger I say it because it's dramatically more urban than New Orleans
I respect your opinion, all good.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Yes it is, for NOLA to even be on this list with those GIANTS says alot. It punches well above the waist and as I've stated is one of the most urban cities in America without question.
Lol, I chose to put NOLA on the list, I'm not perfect, but I think that NOLA has enough foot traffic to compete with larger cities. This isn't a scientific study by me, it's just my opinion on which cities are worth comparing.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 PM

It's definitely worth comparing, and I agree NOLA probably comes next after Seattle on that list. I'm just saying that after NY and the next 6 (Bos,Philly,DC,SF,Chi,LA) things drop off considerably, as is always the case in discussions relating to urbanity

Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol, I chose to put NOLA on the list, I'm not perfect, but I think that NOLA has enough foot traffic to compete with larger cities. This isn't a scientific study by me, it's just my opinion on which cities are worth comparing.

I totally agree with you that NOLA has enough foot traffic to compete with larger cities, its some of the other posters who don't think so.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
I doubt a few years would make a dramatic difference in any of these cities though
I've heard people say that as Broadway gentrifies, its vibrancy has actually decreased a bit.

I do wonder if it is really the busiest street in Downtown LA though, I would think it would be 7th or Fig near the Metro hub. I see from the article it was just from a study for the Broadway street improvements (which have been great from my experience walking along the street). Most likely Broadway is not the busiest pedestrian street downtown.

Also quite interesting that pedestrian traffic is actually higher on the weekends, kind of speaks to the type of street Broadway is. Very few office buildings, one high-end retail hub on the south end and then lots and lots of low-end shopping. This is probably the case in a lot of Downtown LA, like in the Fashion District.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Please forgive me yall I forgot to add that San Fran does have more foot traffic than NOLA, I don't know how I forgot them. But as far as L.A. goes I don't think L.A. has more foot traffic than NOLA and by the way just b/c a city is BIGGER does not mean it has more foot traffic than a smaller city. NOLA is more URBAN than L.A. L.A. spread out. True or False?
False.

No knock on New Orleans which is a very walkable city, but it's tiny. Los Angeles is not just much larger, it is much denser and yes more urban. Not to say New Orleans is not quite urban for its size and location.

And yes, I have been to a few of the outer parts of the city - I understand that there are pedestrians outside of the French Quarter and Garden District. However, they still do not compete with areas like Koreatown or Hollywood, not to mention Downtown LA and Westlake along Wilshire Blvd or the literally hundreds of walkable areas spread throughout the LA Basin.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I've heard people say that as Broadway gentrifies, its vibrancy has actually decreased a bit.

I do wonder if it is really the busiest street in Downtown LA though, I would think it would be 7th or Fig near the Metro hub. I see from the article it was just from a study for the Broadway street improvements (which have been great from my experience walking along the street). Most likely Broadway is not the busiest pedestrian street downtown.

Also quite interesting that pedestrian traffic is actually higher on the weekends, kind of speaks to the type of street Broadway is. Very few office buildings, one high-end retail hub on the south end and then lots and lots of low-end shopping. This is probably the case in a lot of Downtown LA, like in the Fashion District.
I would imagine the intersection of 7th and Fig is busier than any intersection on Broadway, but I used Broadway because (at least in my experience) it's more consistently busy over a longer stretch. It seems to me that pedestrian numbers drop off pretty quickly as you move away from Metro Center on 7th or Figueroa

Old 06-25-2015, 02:01 PM

This doesn't have numbers for all day (only hourly in the morning) but confirms that 7th and Figueroa is the busiest pedestrian intersection in LA: http://la-bike.org/sites/default/fil...ountReport.pdf

Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
False.

No knock on New Orleans which is a very walkable city, but it's tiny. Los Angeles is not just much larger, it is much denser and yes more urban. Not to say New Orleans is not quite urban for its size and location.

And yes, I have been to a few of the outer parts of the city - I understand that there are pedestrians outside of the French Quarter and Garden District. However, they still do not compete with areas like Koreatown or Hollywood, not to mention Downtown LA and Westlake along Wilshire Blvd or the literally hundreds of walkable areas spread throughout the LA Basin.
Ok, maybe I mispoke by saying NOLA is more urban than L.A. but I still say NOLA is more walkable. IMO L.A. a GREAT city nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City