Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst City For Traffic
Dallas, TX 2 1.23%
New York, NY 17 10.43%
Los Angeles, CA 88 53.99%
Denver, CO 1 0.61%
Kansas City, MO/KS 0 0%
San Francisco, CA 21 12.88%
Miami, FL 1 0.61%
Oklahoma City, OK 0 0%
Houston, TX 3 1.84%
Phoenix, AZ 0 0%
Chicago, IL 7 4.29%
Minneapolis, MN 0 0%
Seattle, WA 7 4.29%
Detroit, MI 2 1.23%
Indianapolis, IN 0 0%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Atlanta, GA 13 7.98%
St. Louis, MO 0 0%
Milwaukee, WI 0 0%
Las Vegas, NV 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That list is worthless without DC and Miami
Pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree that DC should be on the list, but after living in Chicago for a few years, I've seen traffic just as bad here (in some cases worse) than I've ever seen in DC. The main difference is in Chicago the majority of people commute into the city, so the main people with nightmare commutes are those living in the suburbs. If you live in the core hub of the city, the public transportation is so good that you won't experience a lot of the nasty traffic. In DC, people work in the city and throughout the suburbs, so it's harder to avoid the bad traffic (everyone is affected). But the commutes from the NW and SW Chicago suburbs into the city are some of the most brutal commutes you can imagine- worse than most DC commutes imo. The traffic seems endless and that's before you eve get downtown (which is another story during rush hour).
At one time it used to be traffic getting in and out of DC was what made traffic so bad but with more and more job centers popping up around the region traffic now is literally bad everywhere.

Fairfax County has more fortune 500 companies than DC, which kind of makes the DC metro unique, unlike most places, it's not just traffic centered around a major city.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Out of Texas Cities, I have been to.
Greater Houston
We were stuck in traffic in Brookshire that was 7 miles long because of a car accident. Just the number of people using I-ten got a rural area like Brookshire to become flooded with cars.
Greater Austin
Metroplex- DFW
San Antonio
On the city level
Austin
Dallas or Houston
San Antonio or Fort Worth
Corpus Christi

Old 07-09-2015, 01:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
It's DC, by far. I have been in traffic that literally did not move for about 20 minutes one time in 2009. I'm pretty sure that we were on the Capitol Beltway at that time.

I'm glad that my city, Philadelphia, does not have traffic as bad as other cities on the list. The Schuylkill Expressway does jam frequently near the Belmont Curve, I-95 has become a mess with its reconstruction, and U.S. 422 can be a nightmare at times, but we are much better off than other cities. We have an excellent commuter rail system, so traveling by car on the highway doesn't even have to be an option.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:58 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
It's DC, by far. I have been in traffic that literally did not move for about 20 minutes one time in 2009. I'm pretty sure that we were on the Capitol Beltway at that time.
Have experienced this in a number of cities, including NYC, Toronto, Chicago and Miami. Definitely not DC by far, but for sure it should have been included in the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City