Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times

Advertisements

I mean, at 90F+ it doesn't really matter if it's humid or dry. It's gonna feel kinda awful if the suns beating down on you. 90F at night in Phoenix actually ain't that bad.

Drier climates can also be worse for allergies. Humid climates tend to have more rainy days, which washes away the pollen. In drier climates, the pollen just hangs in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I mean, at 90F+ it doesn't really matter if it's humid or dry. It's gonna feel kinda awful if the suns beating down on you. 90F at night in Phoenix actually ain't that bad.
I'm gonna disagree with you here. I have been in 90+weather in a humid environment and a dry environment and dry feels better! 90 in a place like Phoenix may be warm, but it is definitely more doable than in a place like Houston!

Drier climates can also be worse for allergies. Humid climates tend to have more rainy days, which washes away the pollen. In drier climates, the pollen just hangs in the air.
Not sure drier climates are worse for allergies. Many people see symptoms disappear in drier climates. However, other allergies arise. I agree that the rain washes away the pollens in the air in a humid environment more frequently.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Not sure drier climates are worse for allergies. Many people see symptoms disappear in drier climates. However, other allergies arise. I agree that the rain washes away the pollens in the air in a humid environment more frequently.
It's a hit or miss. My brother has a ton of allergies to plants here, and has had them since day one. When we go to other places it seems that his allergies and asthma are much better. But I also see the reverse of that happening often.

For more than 2 decades I have been living in Arizona I had no allergies in any form. I never got the runny nose in spring or anything. It wasn't until one or two years ago, when I started college, that I got allergies. I had just moved to Tucson but really Phoenix and Tucson share the same climate and plant life so I don't know why it would just come out of no where. It's very mild allergies, but it says something when they used to not exist at all.

If you have a dust allergy it's not wise to move to the desert haha (talk about a death sentence in monsoon season!). In contrast, I know a lot of people allergic to grass. Also with the rain comes mold, yes? That is a common allergy as well. So it's more on an individual level.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 PM

650 posts, read 867,111 times
Tampa. Phoenix is too blazing hot.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
I've lived in phoenix almost my whole life. Went to tampa for a couple of weeks for summer and just about died. Give me an AZ dry summer over FLA humidity jesus christ it's rough there.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:27 AM

47 posts, read 66,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
So Phoenix today's high temperature of 114F dry is safer than Tampa high temperature of 86F and humid.

I've read quite a few scientific articles on this matter and none really specified how much the actual temperature matters. In every article I've read it articulates sweat and evaporation but no references of measurable temps. I'm sorry but I'm not buying 114F dry being safer than 90F humid.
Not a fair comparison at the moment as this temperature is reflecting a record heat wave that occurred for this time of the year... a more average temperature would be around 102F or 103F.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I've lived in phoenix almost my whole life. Went to tampa for a couple of weeks for summer and just about died. Give me an AZ dry summer over FLA humidity jesus christ it's rough there.
The usual biased crapola you see on CD about FL cities. Weather Underground shows 106F-108F next week for PHX. Where are you gonna cool off besides the bath tub/pool? You'll drive up to Lake Meade?

At least in Tampa Bay you have 40+ miles of beaches to choose from.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
The usual biased crapola you see on CD about FL cities. Weather Underground shows 106F-108F next week for PHX. Where are you gonna cool off besides the bath tub/pool? You'll drive up to Lake Meade?

I think I prefer the arid air to humidity, but gotta admit, the beach is nice. Veeeerrrrry nice!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

Sure its hot here, but its dry, and that makes a HUGE difference. When I was in Miami 3 years ago, you constantly felt wet and sticky and gross, necessitating the need for 2-3 showers a day, depending on your daily activities. In Phoenix, however, hot as it may be, you dont feel nasty, so I dont feel the need to swim or cool off as much as I did in FL. I think Ive been swimming maybe 15 times all summer so far. I regularly hike the mountains in 105+ weather, and though I sweat, it evaporates after 5-10 minutes in the sun, and youre bone dry again. You dont get that crap in FL. In Florida you get wet and you stay wet, its disgusting.

And FYI, there are several lakes in the PHX area that people boat on, and the water is gloriously cool and refreshing. There is no need to drive waaaay up to Lake Meade. In fact, we just swam at Lake Pleasant not too long ago, and it was freaking awesome.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Sure its hot here, but its dry, and that makes a HUGE difference. When I was in Miami 3 years ago, you constantly felt wet and sticky and gross, necessitating the need for 2-3 showers a day, depending on your daily activities. In Phoenix, however, hot as it may be, you dont feel nasty, so I dont feel the need to swim or cool off as much as I did in FL. I think Ive been swimming maybe 15 times all summer so far. I regularly hike the mountains in 105+ weather, and though I sweat, it evaporates after 5-10 minutes in the sun, and youre bone dry again. You dont get that crap in FL. In Florida you get wet and you stay wet, its disgusting.

And FYI, there are several lakes in the PHX area that people boat on, and the water is gloriously cool and refreshing. There is no need to drive waaaay up to Lake Meade. In fact, we just swam at Lake Pleasant not too long ago, and it was freaking awesome.
Hmm, I only shower before I go to work in the morning and stay relatively dry throughout the day (in and out of the office, car, back etc..etc..) or when I have to do any outdoor activities. It's a little far fetched to say people in FL feel wet and sticky and gross all the time. Even if they get sweaty and sticky at times, it's not the end of the world or a deal breaker. If you like a place you stay and put up with some minor inconveniences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City