Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
90 degrees with humidity is not comparable to 110 degrees without humidity. 110 is much worse, and also more dangerous.
Anything above the human body temperature regardless of humidity level I would regard as being dangerous. The only difference is that dry heat does not "hit you" as fast, but if you go hiking you will find it eventually catches up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 PM

448 posts, read 591,443 times
I like the weather in Tampa minis the cloudy days, especially for the beach. I love the sun. I'll take phoenix sunshine and tampa Temps and humidity. I like rain but not all the time.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Tampa. Phoenix is insanely hot, and not as dry as people think. Tampa is ridiculous too, but it's much more reasonable.
It's pretty dry most of the year. The couple months of monsoon weather is a drag. It starts feeling sort of like Tampa, my hometown where I moved from.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Tampa by a long-shot. No contest.

Dry heat means nothing in terms of comfort when high temps sear over 100F every day during summer like they do in Phoenix. Tampa, in contrast, has frequent thunderstorms to quench and cool the air, sea-breezes to alleviate any uncomfort, as well as plentiful amounts of shade, in the form of both lush flora that can't be found in dry desert areas like Phoenix, and lots of clouds in the sky to cover the sun, unlike Phoenix, where the sun constantly beats down on you. Though Phoenix has the summer monsoon, those thunderstorms don't really yield the quenching, cooling rains like those in the Southeast do.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:40 AM

389 posts, read 595,876 times
I've never been to Tampa, but I live in Houston which is similar. I previously lived in Phoenix, and HATED the summers there. Not only was the air hot, but everything heated up. When getting into the car, I remember trying not to get burnt on the seatbelts, steering wheel, shifter, buttons, etc. It was not just uncomfortable, but literally painful. And the worst part was that the delusional Arizonans would try to sugarcoat it, and act like it was lovely weather. I became very nocturnal in my time there, going grocery shopping after dark. Plus summer lasted until October; I remember walking out of Target in early October to 100 degree weather, after dark. I didn't realize it was October, until I saw the Halloween candies and decor. Yet when I walked out, it was scorching.

Compared to that, Houston's summers are a cakewalk. I also have spent time in Orlando in the summer, which was also a cakewalk when compared with Phoenix.

If Phoenicians didn't always say things like "It's a dry heat," then there would be less people moving there, and in turn, less complainers. They need to just be honest that the summers are incredibly hot. It's unfortunate how people die of dehydration/heat exhaustion each year on the hiking trails, because they are told how heavenly the dry heat is.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Tampa by a long-shot. No contest.

Dry heat means nothing in terms of comfort when high temps sear over 100F every day during summer like they do in Phoenix. Tampa, in contrast, has frequent thunderstorms to quench and cool the air, sea-breezes to alleviate any uncomfort, as well as plentiful amounts of shade, in the form of both lush flora that can't be found in dry desert areas like Phoenix, and lots of clouds in the sky to cover the sun, unlike Phoenix, where the sun constantly beats down on you. Though Phoenix has the summer monsoon, those thunderstorms don't really yield the quenching, cooling rains like those in the Southeast do.
I'd be staying in Tampa if the weather really was as pleasant as you describe.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
High temp dry heat is just as awful as humid high temperatures, despite all that you hear about dry heat being better. A day in summer in Phoenix at 110 is like a sauna day and night and NOT pleasant.

But for me I'd still pick Phoenix, because Tampa and much of Florida gets lots of rain in the summer, much of it in thunderstorms and the day may start out sunny but turn cloudy and rainy. And watch out for those hurricanes. Phoenix, despite the summer monsoons still gets far less cloudy rainy weather.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'd be staying in Tampa if the weather really was as pleasant as you describe.
Everything has to be all or nothing with regards to weather preference. It's always "by a long shot", "hands down", "no contest", etc. It they prefer the wet heat by small margin, fine. But Tampa or Houston have brutal summers, as does Phoenix. They aren't way more tolerable. That would go to the beaches of California, or Albuquerque. If it was that much nicer in Tampa, I would have stayed put.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:21 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Everything has to be all or nothing with regards to weather preference. It's always "by a long shot", "hands down", "no contest", etc. It they prefer the wet heat by small margin, fine. But Tampa or Houston have brutal summers, as does Phoenix. They aren't way more tolerable. That would go to the beaches of California, or Albuquerque. If it was that much nicer in Tampa, I would have stayed put.
Well, in this case, it is a hands-down victory for Tampa. Phoenix is just too hot, even if it is dry heat. To put it to perspective, Phoenix averages over 100F for a high during summer months, while the record high for Tampa doesn't even reach 100F (Tampa's record high is 99F).

Houston and Tampa are hardly brutal during summer, even with their humidity; both cities have the environmental factors (powerful cooling thunderstorms, thick natural shade, abundant water, lots of clouds in the sky to cover the sun, etc) to provide at least some alleviation to any bit of uncomfort present. Phoenix doesn't really have such options at all, and with such high temps (average high temps over 100F!), and relatively few clouds in the sky, that oppressive desert heat is a much more constant experience compared to the kind of heat seen in Houston or Tampa, where at least relief is offered.

The summer climate of both Tampa and Houston are like that of tropical/subtropical paradises, the summer climate of Phoenix is desert Hell. Enough said.

Climate data for the two cities being compared:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa,_Florida#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona#Climate

Old 07-04-2015, 12:41 PM

A quick look at weather underground shows:
Tampa:: 95, 104 heat index
Houston: 95.2 109 heat index

Lush, tropical paradise, call it what you want. I just know that my clothes would be quite wet in sweat.

Phoenix right now is 98 with 102 degree heat index. But that's only because of the extra humidity this time of the year. Usually the H. Index is lower than the actual temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, in this case, it is a hands-down victory for Tampa. Phoenix is just too hot, even if it is dry heat. To put it to perspective, Phoenix averages over 100F for a high during summer months, while the record high for Tampa doesn't even reach 100F (Tampa's record high is 99F).

Houston and Tampa are hardly brutal during summer, even with their humidity; both cities have the environmental factors (powerful cooling thunderstorms, thick natural shade, abundant water, lots of clouds in the sky to cover the sun, etc) to provide at least some alleviation to any bit of uncomfort present. Phoenix doesn't really have such options at all, and with such high temps (average high temps over 100F!), and relatively few clouds in the sky, that oppressive desert heat is a much more constant experience compared to the kind of heat seen in Houston or Tampa, where at least relief is offered.

The summer climate of both Tampa and Houston are like that of tropical/subtropical paradises, the summer climate of Phoenix is desert Hell. Enough said.

Climate data for the two cities being compared:
https://en.wikipextraorg/wiki/Tampa,_Florida#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City